Newest Member
    amirah5
July 22-27 Severe Potential

hm8

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice slew of warning boxs opened up in iowa

Those storms out in Iowa are hauling ass. Moving/propagating much quicker than I thought they would earlier. Wouldn't be surprised to see them organize further and produce a wide swath of damaging winds north of route 30 east all the way into northern IL/southern WI.

Those storms out in Iowa are hauling ass. Moving/propagating much quicker than I thought they would earlier. Wouldn't be surprised to see them organize further and produce a wide swath of damaging winds north of route 30 east all the way into northern IL/southern WI.

models are pretty insistent on the forcing going to shut long before they get this far east...but who knows maybe the complex can become mature enough that it won't matter...instability shouldn't drop off too much.

did not expect ia to light up quite this much lol, wow

models are pretty insistent on the forcing going to shut long before they get this far east...but who knows maybe the complex can become mature enough that it won't matter...instability shouldn't drop off too much.

wonder if they will quickly be coming with a new severe t storm watch to the current one's east..

I'm hoping the cool pool development, and that interacting with the intense heat still out ahead of the convection will keep them quickly propagating eastward.

The best thing I have going for me is limited expectations out here....hopefully it gets it acts completely together before 10 or so....

also happy for the in-laws up in NW IL....they haven't seen a drop there in quite some time...

they have a little time to mature....work off a cold pool and it can go for a little longer than expected....

The HRRR showed this turning right and heading toward the southeast on their original model valid earlier. Has anything changed that would inhibit that from happening?

With well-organized systems like tonight's, I find that the 0-6 km bulk shear vectors are usually a pretty good indication of where the system is heading. Tonight, they would suggest that areas north of I-96 will be hit pretty hard.

I said yesterday that there could be a moderate risk for Great Lakes area, wind or tornado threat, but wind seemed more probable

Here's a map i made with estimated paths using data from the 18z GFS, NAM, and HRRR model runs, with google earth

post-8044-0-03010000-1343266875_thumb.jp

I'm hoping the cool pool development, and that interacting with the intense heat still out ahead of the convection will keep them quickly propagating eastward.

I think the IA storms will head east into northern IL, maintain intensity from the cold pool, and be fascinating to watch tonight.

Cold pool has a long ways to go but I like your thinking. LOTs 8 pm update was interesting and they seem to be coming around...def worth watching

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1594

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0840 PM CDT WED JUL 25 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...E-CNTRL AND SERN IA / NWRN IL

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 260140Z - 260245Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...SEVERE WIND THREAT WILL INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY ACROSS

E-CNTRL IA DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS AS AN APPROACHING LINEAR TSTM

COMPLEX APPROACHES THE AREA.

DISCUSSION...TSTMS HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE PAST HR ALONG A

PRE-FRONTAL WINDSHIFT IN CNTRL IA EXTENDING NEWD TOWARDS THE MS

RIVER. THESE STORMS HAVE INTENSIFIED AND ARE BEGINNING TO POSE AN

ISOLD WIND RISK. FARTHER W...AN ORGANIZED LINEAR COLD POOL/TSTM

COMPLEX WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE E IN TANDEM WITH THE EWD PROGRESSION

OF THE COLD FRONT. AS SUCH...CURRENT THINKING IS THE SEVERE WIND

RISK WILL SPREAD DOWNSTREAM ACROSS E-CNTRL IA AND PERHAPS NWRN IL

LATE THIS EVENING.

..SMITH/GUYER.. 07/26/2012

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

839 PM CDT WED JUL 25 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA...

HAMILTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA...

SOUTHWESTERN HARDIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA...

STORY COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA...

WEBSTER COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA...

* UNTIL 945 PM CDT

* AT 836 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS

IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM 9 MILES WEST OF WEBSTER CITY TO 5 MILES WEST OF

STORY CITY TO HUXLEY...AND MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

HUXLEY...STORY CITY...WEBSTER CITY...JEWELL...NEVADA...WEBSTER CITY

AIRPORT...RANDALL...CAMBRIDGE...KAMRAR...ROLAND...ELLSWORTH...

MAXWELL...MCCALLSBURG...BLAIRSBURG...COLO...COLLINS...RADCLIFFE...

ZEARING...HUBBARD AND BUCKEYE.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 35 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 103 AND 146.

THIS IS A LONG DURATION WIND EVENT. WIND MAY GUST MULTIPLE TIMES

OVER A HALF HOUR. WINDS HAVE BEEN ESTIMATED TO 65 MPH IN BOONE

COUNTY WITH TREE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE.

Archived