joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Intense Heat Returning Mid/Late July?

Hoosier

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit 96° only here today, which was the forecasted high predicted yesterday. Low 82° - only 14° diurnal spread today. Definitely an influence with the clouds/wetter soils compared to Milwaukee.

With it looking like a wetter week, I'm going to say the upper 90s and anything above is done for this year.

Im going on limb here and say 100's are done buddy. This was are last day of intense heat.

Could be right. But Thursay has the potential. I thought the heat was done last July..that was until September 2nd of last year when area wide we had 98-100 degree readings. Plenty of Summer left and a back building western Ridge combined with a drought stricken landmass.

Just looked back at Josh's post..looks like only 5 times has Detroit touched 100 in August. So it will be interesting to see if this pattern can add to this.

Reasons not to discount further intense/triple-digit heat this summer (from a northern Illinois perspective):

--Still six weeks left of summer.

--Confidence in widespread/healthy rainfall tonight is waning somewhat. (See 0z TAF issued by LOT.)

--Guidance for Wednesday looks promising for quite a hot day (100-105), only possibly amplified by dry soils (which would be more likely if no/little rain tonight). (Of course, de-amplified by debris cloudiness or even convection.)

--Recent runs of the Euro are beginning to latch on to another heat wave next week. This scenario has support even from the GFS, which by Monday spits out 90, which is as warm as or warmer than any of the hotter periods to date.

--The CPC has acknowledged the previous point, putting out a 6- to 10-day and 8- to 14-day outlooks calling for above-normal temperatures and normal to below-normal precipitation.

--Further, the CPC August outlook has a bulls-eye of enhanced probability of above-normal temperatures and of below-normal precipitation over northern Illinois.

--Climatology does not nix having 100-degree temperatures in August (or September for that matter); in fact, in many areas in 1988, August had more 100+ temperatures than July.

Looks like no rainfall for here overnight/tomorrow. Barring any extensive cloud debris tomorrow, I'm liking 102-103 at lolLAF.

As for Wednesday, considering no rainfall in the next 24 hours, have to think mid 100's on the table. As usual, we'll see.

Reasons not to discount further intense/triple-digit heat this summer (from a northern Illinois perspective):

--Still six weeks left of summer.

--Confidence in widespread/healthy rainfall tonight is waning somewhat. (See 0z TAF issued by LOT.)

--Guidance for Wednesday looks promising for quite a hot day (100-105), only possibly amplified by dry soils (which would be more likely if no/little rain tonight). (Of course, de-amplified by debris cloudiness or even convection.)

--Recent runs of the Euro are beginning to latch on to another heat wave next week. This scenario has support even from the GFS, which by Monday spits out 90, which is as warm as or warmer than any of the hotter periods to date.

--The CPC has acknowledged the previous point, putting out a 6- to 10-day and 8- to 14-day outlooks calling for above-normal temperatures and normal to below-normal precipitation.

--Further, the CPC August outlook has a bulls-eye of enhanced probability of above-normal temperatures and of below-normal precipitation over northern Illinois.

--Climatology does not nix having 100-degree temperatures in August (or September for that matter); in fact, in many areas in 1988, August had more 100+ temperatures than July.

Excellent points I would agree with all of these you mentioned, the big key is if the heavy rainfall doesn't materialize.

Extremely difficult forecast for this area tomorrow temp wise. Could end up stuck in the 80s if clouds/precip hold on, or top 100 again with a decent amount of sunshine. Just gonna have to wait and see.

Wednesday on the other hand looks like the hottest temp of the summer. I'm going with 105 for MLI if they receive no rain between now and then. Even if they do they'd probably still reach the 100 degree mark.

Most of the region could see some of the hottest temps of the summer as well. ORD may have wet soil to somewhat limit potential, but they should easily top 100 as well.

Looks like no rainfall for here overnight/tomorrow. Barring any extensive cloud debris tomorrow, I'm liking 102-103 at lolLAF.

As for Wednesday, considering no rainfall in the next 24 hours, have to think mid 100's on the table. As usual, we'll see.

Folks, I did not hijack his account. :D

lol

Hey now though, you can't say I'm being biased...relative to what I want to see. I'm calling it like I see it. All in I guess.

Wednesday has been looking like the potential standout day for a while. Mid 100s are definitely on the table if we don't get much rain before then.

Wednesday has been looking like the potential standout day for a while. Mid 100s are definitely on the table if we don't get much rain before then.

I think we're "good to go" with seeing no rainfall. My range is 104-108 for LAF right now for Wednesday.

I'll revisit tomorrow evening.

I think we're "good to go" with seeing no rainfall. My range is 104-108 for LAF right now for Wednesday.

Man, you really are all in. I really can't see us getting past 105 or so and that would be if everything goes right.

Man, you really are all in. I really can't see us getting past 105 or so and that would be if everything goes right.

Truth be told, I'm banking on the usual LAF warm bias...which seems to be back. Really though, Wed seems like one of the better set ups we've seen to "go nuts". Flies in the ointment remain of course.

Truth be told, I'm banking on the usual LAF warm bias...which seems to be back. Really though, Wed seems like one of the better set ups we've seen to "go nuts". Flies in the ointment remain of course.

Model consensus other than the GFS (EC/NAM/UKMET/GGEM) has 850 mb temps increasing to about 25C. Should have a deep mixing regime with favorable WSW flow at the surface and probably not too many clouds around. About the only thing that is not "classic" is the positioning of the mid level ridge but this may be a minor detail.

LOL I like it! Only problem I have with the heat is working in it. Just spent the last 12 hours in the heat working. I figure the way this summer has gone why not try to shoot for the top? I dont think we wil surpass many of the marks set in 1934-1936 but I'd love to try. Ya, Weds. looks good for some 103-108 action in most of Indiana.

Archived