• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

I think everyone has given up on morning convection at this point, Upton is calling for dry conditions until Thursday midday, even the AFD says at most light rain.

Yes, but the euro is north of the NAM with the MCS event for the evening stuff. In between the NAM and GFS.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommorow has the chance to deliver something historic or deliver an epic bust. We will see, as of right now i applaud them for putting that out to bring light to the potential of tommorow's severe/tornadic storms in that this does have ingredients to be the first real severe outbreak since 1998, save for some differences. Im eager to see the models the rest of the day into tonight to get a real idea of whats gonna go down tommorow. Parameters are there and i expect tornado watches to be hoisted tommorow for our entire area. And the rarity of what they just did certainly added to the "WOW!" factor for tommorow

Nobody is trusting the euro. Just posting what it shows, like we did with the NAM.

correct. It really has become sad that we can't even post model output without people calling bust or saying how this model is wrong, right, sometimes wrong, better on even days of the week, etc.

there have been several derecho events where it wasn't used... i don't remember ever seeing one issued

I can't recall either..I'm sure a watch was already out for DC/south NJ by the time 00z rolled around for the June 29th derecho, but if the ongoing damaging history of that event combined with that 00z IAD sounding didnt warrant a PDS severe watch, i don't know what would

I can't recall either..I'm sure a watch was already out for DC/south NJ by the time 00z rolled around for the June 29th derecho, but if the ongoing damaging history of that event combined with that 00z IAD sounding didnt warrant a PDS severe watch, i don't know what would

Yes, a watch was issued for us around 630, the mod risk came at 00z

I really think we get put under a PDS watch tommorow. I mean all ingredients are pointing towards a dangerous situation as was seen from the derecho down south several weeks ago. To me it would be prudent of SPC to do that to really get the word out about this potentially dangerous situation tommorow

The watch for south Jersey went out at about 10:10 PM that night. Roughly about an hour and a half or so before the convection arrived.

post-2786-0-36528800-1343242384_thumb.gi

post-2786-0-86794200-1343242402_thumb.gi

I have to agree that the convection will be elevated. Showalter indices are from -2 on the gfs and -5 on the nam combined with high LCLs on both models.

He meant elevated as in 'increased', not in 'elevated convection not originating at at the surface'.

We are going to be south of the warm front.

Just got a chance to look at the latest data, does it seem like this risk is getting maybe a little too much hype? The moderate risk is justified IMO further inland where the best risk of severe storms will be, and it's also quite impressive down here, but NYC is closer to the edge with the question of how far south the severe weather ends up. We may end up receiving the worst of the storms, yet it's just as possible that the storms stay north/west with less activity near NYC.

Archived