wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 1st - 12th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm torn about the outlook for Sunday, will the SPC drop it? Looks like storm initiation over MN will first happen around 4-6pm for the northwestern area, around the Red River Valley of the north, and than later for the rest of MN. Looks like the upper level jet will set up parallel to the cold front all be it behind it, it will not intersect the warm sector imho. The best shear will be behind the front. My attention is now turning to Monday for Milwaukee and the area's to the SW including central Iowa, northern MO and into the Kansas area, the cold front seems to slow down and the best shear values seem to catch up to it. I don't know if the winds are unidirectional or not at this time. Once again I think the US models are way to strong on the dews.

I'm torn about the outlook for Sunday, will the SPC drop it? Looks like storm initiation over MN will first happen around 4-6pm for the northwestern area, around the Red River Valley of the north, and than later for the rest of MN. Looks like the upper level jet will set up parallel to the cold front all be it behind it, it will not intersect the warm sector imho. The best shear will be behind the front. My attention is now turning to Monday for Milwaukee and the area's to the SW including central Iowa, northern MO and into the Kansas area, the cold front seems to slow down and the best shear values seem to catch up to it. I don't know if the winds are unidirectional or not at this time. Once again I think the US models are way to strong on the dews.

I think there is a possibility they might, taking all things into consideration. Far from an ideal setup IMO. My gut feeling is that we will see a few marginal setup days out of this, and not much else.

I think there is a possibility they might, taking all things into consideration. Far from an ideal setup IMO. My gut feeling is that we will see a few marginal setup days out of this, and not much else.

Maybe south of the border, but there is a reason they issued three straight day 4-8 outlooks (they don't just throw these out there recklessly), even with a less than ideal capping environment potentially.

Currently, at least on the GFS, the best juxtaposition of solid low level (thanks to backing LL winds near the triple point) and deep layer shear, weaker capping and strong instability is in Southern Manitoba/Northern ND on Saturday, although that could change fairly easily.

Maybe south of the border, but there is a reason they issued three straight day 4-8 outlooks (they don't just throw these out there recklessly), even with a less than ideal capping environment potentially.

Currently, at least on the GFS, the best juxtaposition of solid low level (thanks to backing LL winds near the triple point) and deep layer shear, weaker capping and strong instability is in Southern Manitoba/Northern ND on Saturday, although that could change fairly easily.

yes I think it looks better up in Canada. I just don't know if Sunday south of the border at this time equates to a 30% risk before day 3 IMO

There's a distinct trend toward a less positively-tilted trough on the GFS, perhaps even pushing negative-tilt on tonight's run. Correspondingly, the LLJ looks more backed along the ND portion of the dryline, and instability is pulling back a bit farther W under the stronger flow. If this run has the general idea right, I can envision the highest threat setting up near the warm front in SW MB and SE SK, perhaps extending down into N ND.

There's a distinct trend toward a less positively-tilted trough on the GFS, perhaps even pushing negative-tilt on tonight's run. Correspondingly, the LLJ looks more backed along the ND portion of the dryline, and instability is pulling back a bit farther W under the stronger flow. If this run has the general idea right, I can envision the highest threat setting up near the warm front in SW MB and SE SK, perhaps extending down into N ND.

This, right now the northern axis of instability near the warm front looks like a nice spot with strongly backed low level flow near the sfc low.

yes I think it looks better up in Canada. I just don't know if Sunday south of the border at this time equates to a 30% risk before day 3 IMO

Two words: Damaging. Wind.

I would've sold my soul to see this. Shot today near Denton, MT, by Roger Hill and posted by him on FB.

601758_10150865109339290_1721146394_n.jpg

It's easy to overreact right after an event, but I seriously think this is one of the top five structure+tornado combinations ever shot by a chaser.

A tornado was spotted in southern Alberta according to this tornado warning issued by Edmonton

TORNADO WARNING

UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 8:35 PM MDT TUESDAY 5 JUNE 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TORNADO WARNING FOR:

=NEW= CO. OF LETHBRIDGE NEAR PICTURE BUTTE AND TURIN

=NEW= M.D. OF TABER NEAR VAUXHALL AND HAYS

CO. OF LETHBRIDGE NEAR COALDALE

M.D. OF TABER NEAR TABER AND CRANFORD.

TORNADO WARNING ENDED FOR:

CO. OF WARNER NEAR WRENTHAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

==DISCUSSION==

AT 8:30 PM MDT METEOROLOGISTS ARE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM 8

KILOMETRES SOUTH OF TABER. A TORNADO HAS BEEN CONFIRMED WITH

THIS STORM AND IS MOVING NORTH AT 55 KM/H TOWARDS TABER.

ALSO THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND

STRONG WIND GUSTS.

I would've sold my soul to see this. Shot today near Denton, MT, by Roger Hill and posted by him on FB.

It's easy to overreact right after an event, but I seriously think this is one of the top five structure+tornado combinations ever shot by a chaser.

Infrigginsane...

What an incredible shot!

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0356 AM CDT WED JUN 06 2012

VALID 091200Z - 141200Z

...DISCUSSION...

AFTER SEVERAL DAYS OF GOOD AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GFS AND

ECMWF...SUBSTANTIAL DIVERGENCE IS NOTED BETWEEN THE TWO WITH RESPECT

TO THEIR HANDLING OF THE WRN U.S. TROUGH EJECTING EWD INTO/ACROSS

CENTRAL NOAM -- PARTICULARLY FROM DAY 5 /SUN. JUNE 10/ ONWARD.

ATTM...WILL MAINTAIN THREAT AREAS DAYS 4 AND 5 /SAT. AND SUN. JUNE

10 AND 11/ -- ACROSS ND DAY 4 AND SHIFTING EWD INTO MN AND POSSIBLY

NWRN MN DAY 5. DAY 4...MODELS PLACE A FRONT ACROSS THE

DAKOTAS...WITH FAST/DIFFLUENT FLOW ALOFT SPREADING ATOP THE WARM

SECTOR. WHILE CAPPING SHOULD LIMIT CONVECTION WITH SWD EXTENT...IT

APPEARS THAT AFTERNOON/EVENING SUPERCELLS SHOULD EVOLVE ACROSS ND --

WITH ASSOCIATED THREATS FOR HAIL/DAMAGING WINDS AND POSSIBLY

ISOLATED TORNADOES.

DAY 5...THE THREAT SHIFTS EWD -- THOUGH THE FASTER GFS WOULD PLACE

THE PRIMARY SEVERE THREAT ACROSS ERN MN AND INTO NWRN WI BY

AFTERNOON -- AND POSSIBLY WELL INTO THE GREAT LAKES REGION

OVERNIGHT. THE ECMWF HOWEVER WOULD CONFINE MOST SEVERE POTENTIAL TO

THE MN AREA. HOWEVER...GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE EJECTING

SYSTEM...WILL MAINTAIN AN AREA ACROSS MN AND NWRN WI -- WHERE THE

HIGHEST THREAT WOULD APPEAR TO EXIST CONSIDERING THE DIFFERING MODEL

TIMING. BEYOND DAY 5...THREAT MAY CONTINUE E OF THE DAY 5

AREA...BUT ATTM WILL REFRAIN FROM ADDITIONAL AREAL ISSUANCE GIVEN

OBSERVED MODEL DIVERGENCE.

..GOSS.. 06/06/2012

Stunning shot......Montana Big Sky Country.

Easily one of the best I've seen, what a beautiful pic...

Indeed. I think I hate that guy... he hasn't missed anything good in years, and never fails to pull a few days like this out per year that no one else sees. On the other hand, he has to deal with tour guests throughout the heart of the season. Hmm, tradeoffs... :lol:

Here's his site, for those who want to spend a few hours ogling: http://www.stormchase.net/

The new NAM laughs at us for even discussing big-league potential Saturday in ND. Positive-tilt trough, veered-out low levels... you know, vintage 2012. If anything, Friday looks more interesting invof the Black Hills into E WY/SE MT.

Literally took the words right out of my mouth, wow at that shot. Simply Amazing.

All - thoughts on a Denver chase today? This will be my first real experience with SevereWX since moving to Denver.

My thoughts - might be the first time in my life I've ever seen a supercell structure from end to end. Living in Atlanta/Nashville to this point has been exciting, but it's like chasing storms in the dark - impossible to really see anything below the tree/hill lines.

Denver's a whole different ball game.

All - thoughts on a Denver chase today? This will be my first real experience with SevereWX since moving to Denver.

My thoughts - might be the first time in my life I've ever seen a supercell structure from end to end. Living in Atlanta/Nashville to this point has been exciting, but it's like chasing storms in the dark - impossible to really see anything below the tree/hill lines.

Denver's a whole different ball game.

I posted in the chasecation thread:

That boundary evident on the base reflectivity midway between Denver and Limon could serve as the initial focus for convection this afternoon. Don't see any TCU yet but there's definitely a wind shift and a bit of a moisture gradient.

I would also like to add that the HRRR seems keen on developing some slow-moving, isolated cells in this region, then actually back-building the activity towards the mountains later in the evening.

The new NAM laughs at us for even discussing big-league potential Saturday in ND. Positive-tilt trough, veered-out low levels... you know, vintage 2012. If anything, Friday looks more interesting invof the Black Hills into E WY/SE MT.

I assume you mean tornado potential takes a hit on Saturday? Otherwise, things still look pretty good for a hail/wind event in ND/MB near the warm front.

I posted in the chasecation thread:

That boundary evident on the base reflectivity midway between Denver and Limon could serve as the initial focus for convection this afternoon. Don't see any TCU yet but there's definitely a wind shift and a bit of a moisture gradient.

I would also like to add that the HRRR seems keen on developing some slow-moving, isolated cells in this region, then actually back-building the activity towards the mountains later in the evening.

You can even see that Boundary now on Vis. Satellite.. Hmm...

Archived