wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 1st - 12th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our best footage from tonight will come via stills from all the video we recorded. Pretty sure we saw 2 or three brief, rope spin up tornadoes. We were on the eastern side so the whole thing was backlit. Somehow ran into two vans on a chasing tour, as well as the local Fox Storm Tracker guy here in Denver.

The damn cell didn't move. We were in perfect position but it just wouldn't go anywhere - Wall cloud must have moved maybe 4 miles in the 30-45 minutes it was solid and in tact.

I'll post some vid from the stills when my cousin uploads it to youtube. Pretty fun night - and it was his first time seeing anything like that. It was my first time chasing in the rockies/plains - certainly won't be my last!

On another note, we have probably at least 50 cloud to ground strikes on video - some at super close range. I was able to pause the video and see some pretty crazy stuff - look forward to posting it in the coming days.

Hey were you guys out yesterday? We saw another college-looking group north of Pine Bluffs, WY on Hwy 215 and I thought it might be you guys.

We were in Pine Bluffs, WY, but never went north from there. When that cell started encroaching from the south, we went back east to Kimball, NE.

We were in Pine Bluffs, WY, but never went north from there. When that cell started encroaching from the south, we went back east to Kimball, NE.

Oh ok. We watched the big hailer east of Cheyenne from north of Pine Bluffs, then went west to Egbert to get some pea-size hail before heading back eats and getting lightning shots from near Sidney.

Now we're headed west to Kimball again.

Oh ok. We watched the big hailer east of Cheyenne from north of Pine Bluffs, then went west to Egbert to get some pea-size hail before heading back eats and getting lightning shots from near Sidney.

Now we're headed west to Kimball again.

Cool. I suspect we will see you in Kimball today. ;) (We are in 3 minivans).

Much better moisture in place across NE CO and SE WY this morning compared with yesterday. If we'd had these 56-58 F dew points then, I wonder if we wouldn't have had TOR reports from a couple of those late afternoon supercells, particularly in WY. Today looks like a more traditional upslope setup with initiation along the Front Range. From my limited experience chasing these, it's best to sit back about 50 mi. E of the foothills so the storms have time to show their cards before you race N or S toward one.

Much better moisture in place across NE CO and SE WY this morning compared with yesterday. If we'd had these 56-58 F dew points then, I wonder if we wouldn't have had TOR reports from a couple of those late afternoon supercells, particularly in WY. Today looks like a more traditional upslope setup with initiation along the Front Range. From my limited experience chasing these, it's best to sit back about 50 mi. E of the foothills so the storms have time to show their cards before you race N or S toward one.

Yep, today starting out much differently than yesterday. We had no clouds in the sky at this time yesterday and the humidity was ~20%. Now, it is getting dark and we have a storm moving in from the west. RAP shows CAPE already >2000, which is near the maximum of yesterday's around here.

That cell developing near Hidden Valley, just west of Denver, already beginning to show signs of rotation! Could be a sign of things to come.

post-378-0-23049100-1339093079_thumb.png

Has a slight hook on it too... Right where the weak Rotation is...

After 3" of rain and beaucoup de hail from a persistently backbuilding supercell SE of Denver last night, we could use a break... and some sleep... maybe this one will go north for a change. The cell was TOR warned for almost 2 1/2 hours continuously over the same area, though actual tornadoes were small and short-lived.

Whoever said that the June threats will transition into Canada all the way back in April, gets a big freaking cookie.

This looks like an active weekend for Southern Canada.

Wow, the NAM trended decisively toward the GFS solution of a more impressive, neutral-tilt solution Saturday. It shows some hellacious parameters/hodos setting up right near the border. Definitely potential for strong tornadoes along the warm front in extreme S MB with this solution.

The wheatland cell getting close to needing a tor warn. Looks very nice.. See if convection south messes with it at all

Impressive dive south underway with that storm... new cell just NE of CYS looks pretty beefy after only a few scans, too. Have a feeling today will trump yesterday's chase ops by a decent margin.

Wheatland storm had 100 kts GTG last scan...

Impressive dive south underway with that storm... new cell just NE of CYS looks pretty beefy after only a few scans, too. Have a feeling today will trump yesterday's chase ops by a decent margin.

Wheatland storm had 100 kts GTG last scan...

yeah that second cell went from a shower to a soon to be supercell in a snap. looking good so far...

not too surprising..

AT 305 PM MDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS

TORNADO WAS LOCATED ABOUT 5 MILES WEST OF WHEATLAND...MOVING

SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

Holy ^#$^ that couplet. Shades of Goshen Co. 2009. I was one of the suckers that started so far S in CO that day I couldn't catch up until just after rope-out. Looks like the same fate might await most chasers on SN, though there's still time for better activity to ramp up down south too.

Archived