Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ian/Ellinwood/WxWarrior Chase Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going to run to the southern edge of the mod risk I think.. at least. most of the stuff up north looks like a mess other than perhaps the two lead cells already screaming toward the UP of michigan. after scoping the area we were hanging in a bit it is pretty crappy for chasing.

Mauston? You lazy bastards ;) If you head west on 90, you really have to commit on that, because the territory as you get closer to La Crosse is worthless for anything other than hoping something crosses your path.

I think we're going to gamble and go back to southwest wisc or that area in the 5% probs--tail end type try. I dunno.. not really a cut and dry decision. Maybe Eau Claire will end up being the better play but it sure looks like that stuff is going to remain messy even if you get some embedded supercell etc.

Hope you guys get something good on that Hays, KS cell!

it's going to cross the warm front.. we're skipping it (bad play partly by getting off 70). new stuff blowing up south.

Pictures?

at some pt.. i took like 1000 today myself tho a bunch are panos. will try to get a few for tomorrow at least. no rush.. my life is not made worthwhile by how many people see my photos like many chasers. :P

I have too many pics to figure it out tonight but here is a sample--not necessarily the best. Tho perhaps the best of the rope torn. All tornadoes were from twilight and on.

Before the magic began (tho it was already quite magical as will be seen when I process the striated beast photos). This was a quick pano.. there are some issues which I'll go back and correct later.

post-1615-0-32469100-1338015211_thumb.jp

This was shortly after the first tornado formed (i think it was the first as we were on it the whole time even though there was a report earlier which I believe was a rain shaft)

post-1615-0-56997300-1338015218_thumb.jp

Ropage (followed later by another large stovepipe).. night shots are all a bit grainy as I shot at ISO 3200.. maybe didnt need to go that high but if not then close.

post-1615-0-92913300-1338015266_thumb.jp

I guess the watermark has to go right in the best part of the pic so we can't crop the image and post them w/o credit to facebook?

I actually never watermark stuff but people are shady with tornado pics... Blame society. ;)

Congrats on yesterday -- you more than deserved it after last year. Can't wait for the full suite of pics/video.

After screwing around in RSL for awhile after the initial lead cell crossed the front and crapped the bed, I was this close to committing to your storm around sunset. As I was rocketing SW through Otis, about halfway between your cell and the next to the NE (with a view of both), the northern one began to enter its tornadic phase. After a few minutes hesitation, we decided to blast N on dirt roads to salvage what view we could given the impending darkness. Ended up viewing the first elephant trunk/rope from a rather painful 8-10 mi. S, then saw the latter half of the after-dark rope in RSL from fairly close by -- the funnel connected to the cloud base nearly overhead.

While I'm not going to beat myself up too hard, you all definitely got the cream of the crop down in Rush Co. I rarely care much for nighttime chasing, but there are usually one or two events per year so prolific (and often cyclic, as this was) that they can still rival some of the better daytime chase opportunities, and you were all over this one before anyone else on SN.

Love the mothership in post #54. May I ask what lens you are using?

i mostly end up using the tamron 28-300 just since it has such good range. that image is a stitched panorama of about 15 vertical shots. tho that was overkill.. could have been done with maybe half the shots. its just one of many i took.. not even sure its the best. but it was a beauty of a storm.

Congrats on yesterday -- you more than deserved it after last year. Can't wait for the full suite of pics/video.

After screwing around in RSL for awhile after the initial lead cell crossed the front and crapped the bed, I was this close to committing to your storm around sunset. As I was rocketing SW through Otis, about halfway between your cell and the next to the NE (with a view of both), the northern one began to enter its tornadic phase. After a few minutes hesitation, we decided to blast N on dirt roads to salvage what view we could given the impending darkness. Ended up viewing the first elephant trunk/rope from a rather painful 8-10 mi. S, then saw the latter half of the after-dark rope in RSL from fairly close by -- the funnel connected to the cloud base nearly overhead.

While I'm not going to beat myself up too hard, you all definitely got the cream of the crop down in Rush Co. I rarely care much for nighttime chasing, but there are usually one or two events per year so prolific (and often cyclic, as this was) that they can still rival some of the better daytime chase opportunities, and you were all over this one before anyone else on SN.

thanks. we played it really well after the initial blunder on the first cell. probably would have tried for it if we did not end up south of it on the initial road... seemed like most people played it generally how you did.

kinda wish it went to town a bit earlier as of course nighttime tornado shots leave something to be desired.. but oh well. it was a rush for sure. makes today a bit more of a letdown, lol. been ignoring the long range but wonder if we'll even have much after the first week out here.

Archived