Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 22-? Severe weather

MNstorms

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are away from that part just don't want to get hail damage to rental

If you did the loss damage waiver then you could park yourself right in the hail core and it isn't your problem. Now, being stuck without a windshield and having to get a new rental isn't worth it, but I have had very good experiences so far with rentals as long as I had the LDW. I only use enterprise, and one time(wasn't thinking) I had said what I was doing at the rental counter because they needed to know what states I was going to be in and all they said was the LDW covers any hail damage so don't worry about it.

06z NAM sounding for Alva, Oklahoma valid at 7pm cdt tonight.

Verbatim, obviously an outstanding sounding for supercells with big hail, with large, fat CAPE/steep midlevel lapse rates and more than sufficient bulk shear; and damaging winds, with steep low level lapse rates/DCAPE. However, although low level shear/SRH look very good, MLLCL heights are marginal at slightly above 1500 m. New 12z NAM12 came in with temps around 90 and dews in the mid 60s near Alva at 00z, which would likely portend marginal LCL heights for tornado potential. It wants to hold off convective initiation until close to 00z over far north central OK and favors going to a more linear set-up rather quickly. On the other hand, latest HRRR is popping discrete supercells over SW and NW OK at 21-22z, with a QLCS starting to surge southeast from KS into NW OK by 00z. Seems that the HRRR would be preferred by chasers, although it too is likely marginal with LCL heights due to temps in the 90s and dews in the mid and upper 60s at time of CI.

One of the problems Tornado-wise that we may have today is that temps across Oklahoma are going to be in the 80's pushing 90 in some locations... Temperatures that high aren't exactly conducive for Tornadoes... Altougth the temps aren't that high, so when the storms initiate and the anvil shadows become more prominate it seems it would cool temps more into the 70's (Prime Tornado temp IMO)... Anyway, that's just one of many Mesoscale affects, overall today looks VERY promising...

Upper 80s is cool compared to recent days tho we may not have hours to let LCLs drop like last night. Both the KS and OK tornadoes were pretty tall.

All we can hope for is a few Discrete Supercells for a few hours (which is what the SPC is forecasting) to take advantage of the 65+ Dewpoints before it turns into a Wind Bomb...

If I were chasing today, I'd definitely target Southwestern Oklahoma, that's where the NAM, and RAP have been targeting for some of the best Tornado conditions, considering LCL's are expected to be around 750> Bases can be expected to be decently low... One of the only problems would be the CIN, with it expected to be fairly high, but hey what's storm chasing without gambling...

We're going to hit NW OK for now. Not totally sure what best target is today but on the whole seems NW OK has more positive than SW OK. But I wouldnt be surprised to miss the zone at all.

We're going to hit NW OK for now. Not totally sure what best target is today but on the whole seems NW OK has more positive than SW OK. But I wouldnt be surprised to miss the zone at all.

The only reason I'd really chase in NW OK today is because of the 10% Tornado prob by the SPC... I'm not entirely sure why they put it there specifically...

The only reason I'd really chase in NW OK today is because of the 10% Tornado prob by the SPC... I'm not entirely sure why they put it there specifically...

The shear is a t least a little better ... forecast soundings look better overall. LCLs are perhaps a bit higher. The 12z NAM is maybe better in SW OK at least as far as the sim radar tho it's been kinda all over the place with that part at least. HRRR looks fine in both. I'm not terribly confident in the choice.. almost tempting to chill in central western OK, heh.

NW Oklahoma looks great. It might be west-central OK but it's often easier to adjust north to south, than south to north. An outflow boundary OFB clearly justifies 10% by SPC. One could easily argue for 15%. It's already a MDT for wind/hail, so a 15% torn is not a huge midday bomb if they do so. OFB slowly lifting north out of SW OK per VIS image. It should be west-central or NW by initiation. Winds already increasing in NW OK, hinting at the target zone there. No concerns about LCL with a lifting OFB. They will be locally lower regardless of NWP forecasts. A little more upper winds and they'd have to go 15%+. As it is looks like a great chase day. Just-right cap still holding; no rain in target zone; morning OFB laid down by east OK rain; and, likely a mid-afternoon start. Good luck!

Mod risk pushed back further NW on the new outlook

day1.gif

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1130 AM CDT WED MAY 30 2012

VALID 301630Z - 311200Z

...THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM SRN KS INTO WRN AND CENTRAL

OK...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS SURROUNDING THE MDT RISK FROM

THE CENTRAL/SRN PLAINS INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY...

..THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER ERN NC

..SRN KS INTO WRN/CENTRAL OK

COMPLEX MESOSCALE PATTERN IS PRESENT THIS MORNING ASSOCIATED WITH

THE EFFECTS OF NOCTURNAL AND MORNING CONVECTION OVER OK INTO

TX...WITH MULTIPLE OUTFLOW BOUNDARIES EVIDENT IN SURFACE AND

SATELLITE DATA OVER TX. NORTH OF THE BOUNDARIES...SELY SURFACE

WINDS FROM NWRN TX INTO SWRN/SOUTH CENTRAL KS WILL ALLOW MOISTURE TO

INCREASE NWD THIS AFTERNOON...WITH ELEVATED MOISTURE EXTENDING

FARTHER NORTH INTO PARTS OF SRN NEB. A SURFACE LOW OVER THE SOUTH

PLAINS OF WEST TX IS EXPECTED TO PERSIST OVER THE AREA ENHANCED BY

STRONG HEATING THIS AFTERNOON.

12Z REGIONAL RAOBS INDICATE VERY STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES OVER

THE HIGH PLAINS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ERN EDGE OF THE EML. AS CLOUDS

DIMINISH EAST OF A N/S SURFACE TROUGH FROM EXTREME ERN CO SWD INTO

WEST TX...STRONG DIABATIC HEATING AND INCREASING LOW LEVEL MOISTURE

WILL CONTRIBUTE TO FURTHER DESTABILIZATION WITH MLCAPE REACHING

2500-3500 J/KG...WHILE GRADUALLY REDUCING THE CAP STRENGTH. THIS

PROCESS WILL BE AIDED BY WEAK LARGE SCALE ASCENT ASSOCIATED WITH A

SUBTLE SHORT WAVE TROUGH MOVING EWD FROM THE CENTRAL/SRN ROCKIES.

DESPITE SOME VARIABILITY IN MODEL PREDICTIONS OF

CONVECTION...GENERAL CONSENSUS INDICATES STORMS WILL DEVELOP BY

MID/LATE AFTERNOON OVER PARTS OF WRN/CENTRAL KS AND WRN

OK...POSSIBLY EXTENDING AS FAR SOUTH AS NWRN TX. WIND PROFILES

EXHIBIT STRONG VEERING WITH HEIGHT FROM SSELY IN THE LOW LEVELS TO

WESTERLY IN THE MID LEVELS...PROVIDING A FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR

SUPERCELL STORMS. STRONGER CELLS WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING VERY

LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...AND POSSIBLY SEVERAL TORNADOES.

THE ACTIVITY MAY GROW UPSCALE INTO ONE OR MORE BOWING MCS/S BY THIS

EVENING AS STORMS SPREAD EWD/SEWD...WITH AN INCREASING THREAT OF

MORE WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE MCS/S.

NW Oklahoma looks great. It might be west-central OK but it's often easier to adjust north to south, than south to north. An outflow boundary OFB clearly justifies 10% by SPC. One could easily argue for 15%. It's already a MDT for wind/hail, so a 15% torn is not a huge midday bomb if they do so. OFB slowly lifting north out of SW OK per VIS image. It should be west-central or NW by initiation. Winds already increasing in NW OK, hinting at the target zone there. No concerns about LCL with a lifting OFB. They will be locally lower regardless of NWP forecasts. A little more upper winds and they'd have to go 15%+. As it is looks like a great chase day. Just-right cap still holding; no rain in target zone; morning OFB laid down by east OK rain; and, likely a mid-afternoon start. Good luck!

good thoughts.. thanks! looks like no major change to tornado probs on 1630z. still favoring our target area over SW OK. now mention of "several tornadoes" in stronger cells. :)

Double Post from Loco-Ako Chasecation Thread

I've never chased, so just amateur advice, but I'd get South of the Arbuckles (Carter/Jefferson Co area as a base) and chase the Southernmost storms. GFS and NAM both like Southern edge igniting around 7 pm CDT near the Red River, both had good EHIs, GFS EHI is *very* good. GFS and NAM both have mega-fat CAPE curve (TTs over 60) in area of good speed and directional shear, so impressive hail looks to be on the menu.

HRRR wants to makes things linear quickly...

cref_t5sfc_f09.png

Whatever the HRRR has developing in Throck-Morton County, TX looks pretty impressive... Especially since its leaning toward a more linear mode in Oklahoma/Kansas...

Archived