Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
reminder about skywarn training

ineedsnow

From wwlp.com

This is a reminder that 22News will host a Skywarn training session from 7p-10p on Thursday May 31st. Skywarn is the National Weather Service’s official network of “civilian” storm spotters. If you are fascinated by weather, this training is right up your alley!!! The 3 hour training will teach you how to identify and report severe weather for the National Weather Service. The training is free and no reservations are required. I look forward to seeing you here at 22News on May 31st!

We're expecting a near record (or even record) crowd for this session in Chicopee. Hope some of you can make it!

There are other sessions, including one tomorrow night (5/16) in Canton, CT.

Here's the list of sessions that are scheduled:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/officePrograms/skywarn/skywarnTraining.shtml

If you live outside the KBOX County Warning Area, not to worry. You can attend one of our sessions, and we will forward your info to your appropriate CWA (such as ALY, OKX, BTV and GYX).

I'll be at both the Canton and Chicopee sessions. Hope to see some of you there!!!

--Turtle

As I mentioned before, I will be one of the session presenters at the Chicopee session, along with BillB (mostly a lurker, but occasionally posts) as well as three other WFO BOX forecasters.

I think Wiz said he was going to go to this one. Not sure about anyone else.

Got a couple of weeks before this one.

--Turtle

From wwlp.com

This is a reminder that 22News will hosta Skywarn training session from 7p-10p on Thursday May 31st. Skywarn is the National Weather Service’s official network of “civilian” storm spotters. If you are fascinated by weather, this training is right up your alley!!! The 3 hour training will teach you how to identify and report severe weather for the National Weather Service. The training is free and no reservations are required. I look forward to seeing you here at 22News on May 31st!

We are quite excited about the class coming up on May 31st at channel 22. Our original plan (with Brian Lapis at ch. 22) was to do this on June 1st, but this turned out to be a Friday night. Our experience has been that many people have other plans on Friday nights...which draws down attendance...so we try to avoid Fridays when possible (and it's not always possible). Also, a Thursday night class should stay out of the way of any local observances that might be planned.

The first time we visited WWLP was in May of 2008. The class drew 142 people. This was second only to a class on June 9th 2003 (50th anniversary of another tornado) at the Worcester EOC which drew 154 people. Certainly the memories of last year will catch the attention and imagination of some folks. So we could draw a record crowd to this upcoming class. Not surprising...with the exception of the 2003 class in Worcester, I believe all of our 100+ classes have been in the Hartford-Springfield zone of influence (Hartford-Tolland-Hampden-Hampshire counties).

I think WMUR in Manchester NH is also having this ,check there website.

We don't have any scheduled at WMUR this season. There was a class scheduled for tonight (Friday May 18) at Nashua, so maybe they were relaying news about that class.

We have had a good experience and turnout with channel 22 (and anticipate another on the 31st!); we have also had two good experiences (2 for 2) at channel 3 in Rocky Hill CT, with turnouts of 85-100 each time. We've had talks during two years with a third station elsewhere in Southern New England, but both of those potential events evaporated. If any of the remaining stations in our BOX forecast area are interested, preferably but not limited to an April-May-June timetable, then we are quite open to work with them on making it happen.

I heard they played my video from the BDL downburst at the Canton training!! :)

Video has been an ongoing project for the last 3-4 years...and more difficult than it seems. Not every exciting video clip is sufficiently clear to illustrate a point. Fortunately, after a lot of digging...and good fortune when Ryan sent us his BDL downburst video...we've assembled roughly a half-dozen clips. Even then, we struggled for over a year with a technical problem...the video clips would not play in Powerpoint. After much sweating and a few curses, and with the help of a couple of our newest forecasters, we were able to overcome the problem in time for this year's classes. The next step will be to find more video clips that will work clearly with the narrative; preferably they will be from New England cases.

By the way, Ryan........ Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

I heard they played my video from the BDL downburst at the Canton training!! :)

As Bill said, THANK YOU! It's a GREAT video demonstration of a downburst.

I will definitely be there!

Looking forward to seeing you (and hopefully others from AMWX) at Channel 22.

--Turtle

We don't have any scheduled at WMUR this season. There was a class scheduled for tonight (Friday May 18) at Nashua, so maybe they were relaying news about that class.

Just wanted to let those curious/interested know that we at GYX partnered with WMUR for this training session. Since it is at their studios, it was limited to 75 participants. The response was excellent, and unfortunately people had to get turned away from this session. So there will be plans to organize another talk in the near future, details will be on our homepage when available.

Want to bump this up with the Chicopee session on Thursday! There's also a session in Brimfield on June 2, but you have to pre-register for that one. Bill did tell me there's still some room in that class.

Here's the website again with the latest sessions on the calendar:

http://www.erh.noaa....nTraining.shtml

Hope to see some of you there!!

--Turtle

Cant wait!

Want to bump this up with the Chicopee session on Thursday! There's also a session in Brimfield on June 2, but you have to pre-register for that one. Bill did tell me there's still some room in that class.

Here's the website again with the latest sessions on the calendar:

http://www.erh.noaa....nTraining.shtml

Hope to see some of you there!!

--Turtle

Thanks Eleanor. Very nice presentation. You and Bill did well navigating the line between overly simplistic and met class.

Also it was a pleasure to meet Paul and Diane.

It was great meeting you as well!

Great turnout and these classes never get old :thumbsup:

my sentiments, exactly :)

Thank you all. That's exactly how we want the class to come across, not too simplistic but not "over the top" either.

Anybody go to the Brimfield session? If so, how did it go? Couldn't make that one.

--Turtle

Thank you all. That's exactly how we want the

class to come across, not too simplistic but not "over the top" either.

Anybody go to the Brimfield session? If so, how did it go? Couldn't make that one.

--Turtle

Yup...I was there. It went well...good turnout too, the place (not big) was full.

Driving in I could see the path from the storm...hadn't been out in that area in a while, I had forgotten how amazing the line of damage was.

Yup...I was there. It went well...good turnout too, the place (not big) was full.

Driving in I could see the path from the storm...hadn't been out in that area in a while, I had forgotten how amazing the line of damage was.

i went to that one as well...a friend from Brimfield wanted to go so i went with her...lol! the same 3 hr class in 2 days...but she was really excited to go and do it so i guess that's all that matters...

i was wondering if anyone from Amwx was there...but i just don't know what y'all look like if you don't come to the g2g's!

Thank you all. That's exactly how we want the class to come across, not too simplistic but not "over the top" either.

--Turtle

We had 52 people show up at Brimfield. Good turnout, following another good turnout at WWLP where we had 131 people arrive and handed out 129 cards.

As Turtle mentioned, we try to talk with people close to their comfort zone. This is partly because that is the "civilized" thing to do, and partly because we don't want people to lose interest and walk out. The program is long, to be sure, with a normal running time of 2 hours 30 minutes. I think it is a good sign that we lose only a few (if any) people over that length of the show. The program is about a half-hour shorter than it was 10 years ago, and the actual training program at WWLP came in at 2 hours 20 minutes (not counting the intermission and extra items). We're always looking for ways to cover the material more clearly and in less time, and this effort will continue.

Archived