Newest Member
    Toothache
18z Model Thread 12/14/10

yoda

you are new here..

posting a MAP that has a BIG low doesnt really work

its HOW the Model gest the BIG low to that position that matters

DT, I was reading some NWS AFDs, State College in particular, has said this:

NCREASING CONCERN FOR A COASTAL STORM NEXT SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...

GIVEN TENDENCY FOR MODELS TO FCST LOWS TOO FAR EAST THIS THE LAST

FEW SEASONS. ALSO UPPER LEVEL HEIGHT FIELD WOULD SUPPORT A LOW

ABOUT 100 TO 200 MILES FURTHER WEST THAN MODELS SHOW. FOR NOW...

DID UP POPS TO 20 PERCENT EAST OF MTS FOR SUNDAY INTO MONDAY.

SITUATION SIMILAR TO LAST DECEMBER 19TH STORM.

What is your take on this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is really interesting

Well, I dont know what his take is...but I agree with that forecasters assessment...

Here is my thinking on this event as of right now -

http://tinyurl.com/35xydwd

GFS and the DGEX is swell. The ECMWF will prolly catch on evantually. I'd say theres a 30-45% chance of a major snowfall along the east coast. I'd say there is a 57-65% chance of a major snowfall for the areas of the southern appalachians if the storm were to slide offshore.

Any percentage based thoughts from you guys?

Better question, not saying I agree or disagree but what are these percentages based on?

Guest someguy

he MIGHT be right....

the sharpness of the trough as it goes negative on the 12z euro at 108 hrs would support the Low bring a tad closer

the key may be where the southern low sets up.... over FL panhandlem or say over central/ northern GA

Big lake cutter for Christmas day. Kids get to ride their new bikes on the east coast.

The model seems to keep flip flopping on the Christmas time period with regards to a continuation of the general pattern we have had and a switch to a warmer pattern with lakes cutters. Does anyone have any opinion as to whcih way to lean? This is a heavy travel period and lots of people, inlcuding myself, will be traveling Christmas to New year's and are very interested in whether this pattern hold or breaks down. Thanks.

The model seems to keep flip flopping on the Christmas time period with regards to a continuation of the general pattern we have had and a switch to a warmer pattern with lakes cutters. Does anyone have any opinion as to whcih way to lean? This is a heavy travel period and lots of people, inlcuding myself, will be traveling Christmas to New year's and are very interested in whether this pattern hold or breaks down. Thanks.

The NAO could very well go positive after this storm on the 20th as the block retrogrades into central Canada so its quite likely if you ask me the next event does go inland.

some have been saying this is totally different from Dec 19th of last year but like State College NWS I see some similarities also. That storm came on the heels of a massive -NAO with a retrograding block and a PV underneith that also was retrograding west and dropped in enough to phase. FOr this to happen it would have to be a similar setup. Now if you are talking about the other players like the STJ and patter in the Pacific then yea there are major differences globally but the more regional setup is very similar.

With that said something concerns me a lot more with this setup then where we were 5-6 days out last year. Without a strong STJ this year the problem is the storm takes a little longer to get going. Last year even though no model had my area in significant snows until 72 hours before the event I felt very confident things would end well. However, all we needed last year was the typical north trend. This year its more of a west trend that is needed for places west of 95. I have noted over the years that getting a west trend seems a lot less frequent then getting a north trend. Many often times confused a north trend with a west trend because storms tend to take a sw to ne trajectory up the coast but there is a difference. This time around a north trend doesn't do much good, the interior mid atlantic needs the storm to bomb out faster and that is usually harder to get. Not trying to be negative and I think this could shift west some but I am not as confident as I was last year because of that difference.

I think we could start to see some mouthwatering NAM maps over the next few days. It has looked really amped at 84HR.

I think some are making too much of the 84 hour NAM. Its possible from there that something could get going good for us...but its also possible that it takes a little too long to get amped up and misses us east. its certainly not in the GGEM/Euro camp but might not be as good as some are implying. I remain curious about this...think it has a real chance, but not necessarily optimistic.

LOL at the NAM. NAM or bust. For real though, some of the SREF members are pretty amped with the southern stream shortwave and even a few NMM members have a distinct and sharp PV anomaly/moderately strong shortwave trough dropping into the GOM. Not buying those solutions, of course, as not one global model suggests any of the sort.

post-999-0-90653500-1292375747.gif

I think some are making too much of the 84 hour NAM. Its possible from there that something could get going good for us...but its also possible that it takes a little too long to get amped up and misses us east. its certainly not in the GGEM/Euro camp but might not be as good as some are implying. I remain curious about this...think it has a real chance, but not necessarily optimistic.

I mean you have a point about the fact that its the 84 hr nam, but unless I'm misinformed the DGEX is an extension of the NAM and shows a hit similar to the 18z GFS. I also don't see anything on the NAM that would lead me to believe it wouldn't be a big hit. That being said, what we can actually gather from a model that is very good in the short term and not so good at the edge of its range is debatable.

I mean you have a point about the fact that its the 84 hr nam, but unless I'm misinformed the DGEX is an extension of the NAM and shows a hit similar to the 18z GFS. I also don't see anything on the NAM that would lead me to believe it wouldn't be a big hit. That being said, what we can actually gather from a model that is very good in the short term and not so good at the edge of its range is debatable.

The DGEX is run with NAM physics/grid and T+84 GFS initialization. It's NOT just an extrapolation of the 84 hr NAM.

DGEX was mostly a miss for DC, a few inches of snow but most of the precip stayed east, it was a huge hit for NYC

Archived