Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New seasons in effect: Summer in MI is officially over now. Fall starts Friday, with winter starting July 4th. All thunderstorms past this Wed have been rescheduled to Late September in order for the August blizzards to start.

At this point, I wouldn't be real shocked to read that in an AFD.

Through the 28th, May 2012 is tied for the 3rd warmest May on record (66.0) for Chicago. If forecasted temps verify the remaining three days the month will end tied for 5th warmest (65.8).

1. 69.3 - 1977

2. 67.1 - 1962

3. 66.0 - 2012

3. 66.0 - 1964

5. 65.9 - 1911

6. 65.8 - 1959

7. 65.6 - 1991

8. 65.5 - 1896

9. 65.2 - 1934

10. 65.0 - 1880

Thursday and Friday do look well below normal! I hope the system brings enough rain with it though.

This would help...

gfs_namer_075_precip_ptot.gif

Mild morning in the mid 60s. Had a lot of clouds, now clearing. Dewpoints in the upper 40s.

Ok, the EURO has 21z temps of 39-46 on Thurs.  Can this be right??  Low 40s at basically the start of June in the afternoon??  That would be record cold.... by about 10 degrees!

post-5896-0-65797400-1338294743_thumb.jp

Looks too cold to me given that 850 mb temps don't go below 0. I'd say highs in the 50's are more likely.

Well, today's 12z Euro has gone less cold and less wet for this area with the Thursday/Friday storm. It's progressing the storm farther east before it wraps up. Instead of mid 40s with a real good rain, it's now mid 50s with light rain. Wisconsin doesn't even get much of any rain at all from this run. We really need 1+" of rain.

Well, today's 12z Euro has gone less cold and less wet for this area with the Thursday/Friday storm. It's progressing the storm farther east before it wraps up. Instead of mid 40s with a real good rain, it's now mid 50s with light rain. Wisconsin doesn't even get much of any rain at all from this run.

trends from this winter die hard

Using the MOST conservative numbers for Detroit (highs of 60*F tomorrow and 50*F Thursday, with 45*F lows both days), Detroit should still have a solidly top 10 warmest May on record (6th), with an average of 64.6*F. Top 5 is still easily in reach.

Th warmest Spring record currently (2010), with an average of 53.1*F, will also still be shattered, with an average of 54.9*F.

The rain gauge yesterday showed about 1/3" of rain, but I'm betting it was WAY more than that. Most of the time it was blowing sideways so I think most of it missed the gauge funnel.

The only thing that matters when measuring rain is the component of the droplet velocity perpendicular to the ground, like any other flux, so sideways motion doesn't matter theoretically. Not 100% sure though since there might be some caveats for measuring rain in a windy/turbulent environment.

The only thing that matters when measuring rain is the component of the droplet velocity perpendicular to the ground, like any other flux, so sideways motion doesn't matter theoretically. Not 100% sure though since there might be some caveats for measuring rain in a windy/turbulent environment.

Interesting. In this case I think it matters quite a bit though because there's a lot of trees around that block some of the wind/rain upwind from the rain gauge. Normally the trees have no effect on this particular rain gauge, but when the rain is coming in at about a 10° angle there's no question the trees and surrounding buildings impact accurate readings.

check out the marine airmass

This is definitely a marine air mass! Main push of marine air isn't even here yet. Boundary near Saukville about now. Only 48° in Sheboygan now. Cool looking clouds over the eastern section of Lake Superior.

From 97 to this in only 4 days!! Crazy for Late May!!!

:wub: :wub:

My point is 52° for tomorrow! Crazy for the last day of May.

Secondary push of marine air coming through Milwaukee now. Boundary shows up nicely on radar.

Archived