• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Coastal Storm Discussion...April 22-23, 2012...

ag3

The gfs ensembles disagree with the operational as well.

The euro ensemble mean has a 990's low hugging the coast.

doesn't it make more sense to go with the model that fits the pattern so far this year ? The GFS OP fits the pattern - no phasing or phasing to far east- GFS OP is the way to go in this situation ............

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doesn't it make more sense to go with the model that fits the pattern so far this year ? The GFS OP fits the pattern - no phasing or phasing to far east- GFS OP is the way to go in this situation ............

This is our best chance since like november to get any kind of east coast cyclogenesis. As you said tho pattern since fall and winter now into spring has been against that, and although this does have model support in bringing copious amounts of rain to our region i think as we get closer the storm is gonna become less of an event. The storm may deliver pockets of "heavier" rainfall but would be shocked if it ended up being a big system or "drought buster" for the northeast but we'll see i guess

Hopefully the trends for a later phase are wrong. We need the coastal to develop in time or it's a quick frontal passage and some showers most likely. Nothing even close to drought denting/busting. As storms like these become more rare as we go into May and towards a summer pattern, it would be nice to see a storm verify now.

Overnight model summary:

Euro: 2.50" for NYC. Over 3" for LI

GGEM: 1.75" for NYC. More as you head east. 4"-5" for eastern LI

UKIE: has a bomb. Definitely 3" or so of rain

Euro Ensembles: Very wet..3"-4" for NYC

All the American models, GFS, NAM, SREFS, are all misses to the east. The gfs ensembles are closer to the euro. Most members give a good soaking.

Thanks!

Seems like an all or nothing scenario. Either we get a miss and see less than .5" or we get 2-4" if we get the coastal storm/phase

Overnight model summary:

Euro: 2.50" for NYC. Over 3" for LI

GGEM: 1.75" for NYC. More as you head east. 4"-5" for eastern LI

UKIE: has a bomb. Definitely 3" or so of rain

Euro Ensembles: Very wet..3"-4" for NYC

All the American models, GFS, NAM, SREFS, are all misses to the east. The gfs ensembles are closer to the euro. Most members give a good soaking.

Thanks!

Seems like an all or nothing scenario. Either we get a miss and see less than .5" or we get 2-4" if we get the coastal storm/phase

In a normal situation, the GFS would be thrown out as the extreme outlier. But in a year like this, we have to take it into account because the dryness with the fast progressive pattern has been winning every time.

DGEX now has the storm whiffing east and a big ridge coming over the top of the pattern shortly afterwards with 80 F temps again.

Its had the storm whiffing east since yesterday's 6z run. 3 runs in a row now, which makes perfect sense since the NAM and GFS are whiffs and the dgex uses both the NAM and GFS.

What are the Euro models showing as far as timing? 12z GFS looks to me like later Saturday into Saturday night and by Sunday morning the rain is pretty much gone, which would be ideal for my weekend plans...is this the likely timeframe we are looking at?

Will see. If the foreign models trend towards this idea, then the GFS may not be as bad. Each regime is different for each model. Contrary to what some are saying here with regards to same old same old, there is a complex interaction with a wave packet here emanating from the Pacific. Models are going to struggle with the little features.

Yes it did. I assume it will come even further west on future runs. It is currently ranked 4th in this time range behind even the JMA. I guess it earned this mark.

GFS trying to go back to it's original solution just not as strong. in a complicated set up like this you had to expect the models to show every possible solution since models are not perfect. as for the dryness if you remember there was a moderate to major rain storm that came up the coast back in December which gave 2 to 3 inches of rain fall.

Big test for the upgraded GFS set to go operational in May.

DETAIL ISSUES CONTINUE TO ABOUND IN THE EAST...WHERE THE 00Z GFS

IS WELL NORTHEAST OF THE OTHER GUIDANCE WITH CYCLONE TRACK AND

TROUGH PROGRESSION...OUTPACING ALL OTHER AVAILABLE GUIDANCE...SO

IT COULD NOT BE USED. A COMPROMISE OF THE 00Z GFS PARALLEL/00Z

UKMET/00Z ECMWF WAS USED FOR SUNDAY. ON MONDAY...DUE TO ISSUES

Yes, I read this as well. It seems that the parallel run of the GFS is handling this situation better. Is this run of the model available anywhere?

Big test for the upgraded GFS set to go operational in May.

DETAIL ISSUES CONTINUE TO ABOUND IN THE EAST...WHERE THE 00Z GFS

IS WELL NORTHEAST OF THE OTHER GUIDANCE WITH CYCLONE TRACK AND

TROUGH PROGRESSION...OUTPACING ALL OTHER AVAILABLE GUIDANCE...SO

IT COULD NOT BE USED. A COMPROMISE OF THE 00Z GFS PARALLEL/00Z

UKMET/00Z ECMWF WAS USED FOR SUNDAY. ON MONDAY...DUE TO ISSUES

Yes, I read this as well. It seems that the parallel run of the GFS is handling this situation better. Is this run of the model available anywhere?

Unfortunately, what the HPC got to see last night did not update on the public site.

The new GFS is the PRX and is blank on the latest 0z run.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/MAPS.zo.html

Archived