• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Coastal Storm Discussion...April 22-23, 2012...

ag3

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is like tracking a snowstorm. I don't mind being on the western edge "(even though decent amounts of precip are still progged with these runs) at this time frame.

Yeah. This is all normal reaction by the models. They are trying to place the exact placement of a storm thats caused by complicated phasing of multiple vorts.

Could still go either way. Big time storm, down the middle, or even a miss east.

But using the explanation of "all storms were a whiff this year, so this one will be too" is completely ludicrous.

Yeah. This is all normal reaction by the models. They are trying to place the exact placement of a storm thats caused by complicated phasing of multiple vorts.

Could still go either way. Big time storm, down the middle, or even a miss east.

But using the explanation of "all storms were a whiff this year, so this one will be too" is completely ludicrous.

While a dry pattern obviously doesn't directly affect large scale ridge/trough progression, there is definitely something to be said for pattern persistence. So IMO there is some validity to the argument that a storm is less likely to happen given the lack of coastal storms recently. The one advantage that this progged event has compared to the past 4 months is the base La Nina state is finally changing. We've seen some major negative SOI dailies in the past few weeks, and that should eventially have an impact on the weather. Thus, it is possible we're about to reverse the dry pattern given the decreasing SOI and transitioning out of the La Nina event.

on the 12z Euro NYC area is in the general 1.50-2.00 range with higher amounts just to the northeast of 2-2.50. southwest of NYC area were talking about 1.25-maybe 1.75

Looks like it has a bit more if you factor in the rains from the fropa as well.

Yeah. Euro is a very nice rainstorm for our area.

Came west also and has a 992 low hugging the coast. Very similar to the UKIE.

f96.gif

If we can get the low to phase a little sooner and cut to the west, maybe into NJ, we can get a nice windstorm here too. Remember, the 3/13/10 storm was much the same way, in that it developed fast off the Delmarva and then curved in to the NNW. The extreme winds were almost completely unforecasted.

If we can get the low to phase a little sooner and cut to the west, maybe into NJ, we can get a nice windstorm here too. Remember, the 3/13/10 storm was much the same way, in that it developed fast off the Delmarva and then curved in to the NNW. The extreme winds were almost completely unforecasted.

That would be awesome, great storm that was

That would be awesome, great storm that was

The best low level jet and powerful dynamics will be just east of the low. It won't take much to mix it down if there's some convection in there, and there does look to be a high over the Maritimes, 1030mb or so, that could provide a decent gradient. If the low cuts off and curls back NNW, I'd be on the lookout just east of the track for some very strong gusts. That's exactly what happened in the March 2010 storm-Long Island was under that jet for hours, and the low's movement plus quick development trained it over the same area.

The best low level jet and powerful dynamics will be just east of the low. It won't take much to mix it down if there's some convection in there, and there does look to be a high over the Maritimes, 1030mb or so, that could provide a decent gradient. If the low cuts off and curls back NNW, I'd be on the lookout just east of the track for some very strong gusts. That's exactly what happened in the March 2010 storm-Long Island was under that jet for hours, and the low's movement plus quick development trained it over the same area.

Might be more damage to if this happened, we are fully leafed out now.

Maybe this storm will be a pattern changer since we haven't seen anything like this in several months dating back to October. I still want some consensus between foreign and american models, I'm still going for no more than .75-1" and most of that may be from the FROP.

over the last decade or so when we had any dry periods it ended with a deluge...I hope it doesn't come to that...

Might be more damage to if this happened, we are fully leafed out now.

We've been dry for a long enough period of time that the soils won't be saturated with the rain. That hurt us a lot during that storm. I was seeing trees literally keel over in that storm. It would be hard to match up those kind of gusts again but I could see 50-60 mph gusts in spots if we see the right track and if we see a ramping up of the intensity as it comes in.

We've been dry for a long enough period of time that the soils won't be saturated with the rain. That hurt us a lot during that storm. I was seeing trees literally keel over in that storm. It would be hard to match up those kind of gusts again but I could see 50-60 mph gusts in spots if we see the right track and if we see a ramping up of the intensity as it comes in.

Yeah true, only thing in worried about is this will def help the drought but what if thIs is all the rain for a while. And with a warm up coming up again we can be right back where we started.

Well the good thing is as we start getting into may and summertime patterns we will hopefully start getting more storms rather than these dry cold fronts that keep coming through.

Yeah true, only thing in worried about is this will def help the drought but what if thIs is all the rain for a while. And with a warm up coming up again we can be right back where we started.

12z Euro Ensemble mean is still very wet for NYC. 2"-2.50" of precip.

The low pressure rides through NYC and its more consolidated on this run, suggesting the spread between the members is shrinking.

Low forms over the Delmarva. Heads NNE through hour 90 and then by hour 96 it curls into NYC.

Archived