Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the still lacking low-level winds may have saved Norman from a real disaster...the deviant motion clearly helped take advantage of what shear was there. Could have been much worse though if it was a few hours later after the LLJ had ramped up.

Just wait, those cells in SW OK will be reaching the OKC Metro right around that time.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

505 PM CDT FRI APR 13 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 530 PM CDT

* AT 500 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS

DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PINK...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

SHAWNEE...TECUMSEH...PINK...EARLSBORO...JOHNSON...

DALE AND BETHEL ACRES.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 174 AND 194.

Focus is obviously on ongoing convection in Oklahoma, but for everyone on here that's been looking at stuff all day (I was on shift and not able to look closely), would the best bet tomorrow be Nebraska or Kansas? Planning on meeting around 5am at the NWS office and either heading west on I-80 and perhaps Lincoln as a staging point, or heading down to Topeka, Kansas and figuring things out from there. From NYC originally, so never been chasing before and pretty pumped either way. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Focus is obviously on ongoing convection in Oklahoma, but for everyone on here that's been looking at stuff all day (I was on shift and not able to look closely), would the best bet tomorrow be Nebraska or Kansas? Planning on meeting around 5am at the NWS office and either heading west on I-80 and perhaps Lincoln as a staging point, or heading down to Topeka, Kansas and figuring things out from there. From NYC originally, so never been chasing before and pretty pumped either way. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Consensus has been to play the warm front in NE.

If both targets are equal, I'd pick the closer target for gas money's sake.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

520 PM CDT FRI APR 13 2012

OKC125-132230-

/O.CON.KOUN.TO.W.0010.000000T0000Z-120413T2230Z/

POTTAWATOMIE OK-

520 PM CDT FRI APR 13 2012

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 530 PM CDT FOR

POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY...

AT 519 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS

TORNADIC STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR DALE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

SHAWNEE...TECUMSEH...PINK...EARLSBORO...JOHNSON...DALE AND BETHEL

ACRES.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 175 AND 194.

I had mentioned to someone 2 days ago I liked today better for OK/ S KS than I did tomorrow, my main reaason was I thought winds at 500mb were a bit stronger than I normally like to see tomorrow...now you can add in the issue of very late initiation and the possibility AM convection may screw things up (although the activity now over OK may kill any morning stuff). A big reason 5/24 was so bad in OK last year was that the activity the evening prior on 5/23 prevented AM crap from ever forming and ruining the 24th. The best idea tomorrow for you might be to position yourself somewhere near the KS/NE border, I initially wanted to say 135/70 intersection in C KS but that probably would be too far south to commit initially) you can sort of cover yourself for both DL activity in S KS or the warm frontal activity by staying in southern NE at first.

Archived