• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hot town Summer in the city?

SACRUS

it was quite a miserable summer weather-wise for those who enjoy heat. i checked the dailies and dont see many highs lower than the upper 60s or low 70s Perhaps youre thinking 2003 before the turn around?

Yeah check Central Park for June 18th 2009 - that's the day I'm remembering. 64/60 split, pretty brutal for mid/late June.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coolest Summers warmest 30 day period since 1930......

average year ...

72.7 in 2000

74.4 in 1992

74.8 in 2004

74.9 in 1996

75.0 in 1960

75.0 in 1950

75.1 in 1956

75.5 in 1945

75.6 in 1962

75.7 in 1965

the 72.7 average in 2000 tied 1888 for the lowest on record...all these summers lacked extended heat and 90 degree days...

• 4 weeks later...

First potential heat wave of the season next week. Will the summer feature the hat trick for heat? Certainly not starting off that way but neither did last June.

Already most places have 2 90 degree days (except the park) putting them in line with last year's June 90 degree days where EWR had 5 and NYC 3. No station had any last May. Lets see how the week evolves and how strong and long the heat can last.

I hope we have a nice and mild summer with temps in the 70's and 80's with low humidity.

That's a hard combination. Troughs give you the cool weather but usually with clouds and rain. Ridges give you hotter and drier weather.

June 2009 was the worst June by far that I've experienced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we had a couple days around the 25th/26th with highs only in the mid/upper 50s with fog (no higher than low 60s). June was wretched, with very few pool days. July actually was beautiful if it was September. Many days near 80F with low RH and nights in the 50s, as Sundog enjoys. However, it was terrible for the beach/pool. Quite chilly. My 2001-02 (or 2011-12) version of summer essentially.

The summer was almost a match for 1972. Another year summer didn't really get going until mid-July.

First potential heat wave of the season next week. Will the summer feature the hat trick for heat? Certainly not starting off that way but neither did last June.

Already most places have 2 90 degree days (except the park) putting them in line with last year's June 90 degree days where EWR had 5 and NYC 3. No station had any last May. Lets see how the week evolves and how strong and long the heat can last.

This month could match last year with June heat between 3 and 5 days. The last few days of June looks cooler than normak but moderation by the start of July into the 4th with plenty of heat to our southwest waiting to build in.

This month could match last year with June heat between 3 and 5 days. The last few days of June looks cooler than normak but moderation by the start of July into the 4th with plenty of heat to our southwest waiting to build in.

So far this summer is shaping up a lot like 1969; generally cool with some spectacular heat spikes. I hope that July doesn't match 1969; about 3 or so days in 90's, then cold rain.

Second heat wave ensuing 6/28 - early July - should linger a few days longer than the last (6/20 - 6/22) and we could be seeing a 2011, 2002 type pattern evolve into July with above to much above normal heat especially mid and late month.

Guidance showing a stronger push of heat by between the 5th and 10th. 2011, 2002, 2006 may lead the pack for July...

test8.gif

oh im sure someone will come up with some model showing a trough and rain...lol

the summer pattern of heat seems to be setting in. Its not May where we had trouble with clouds rain and cool temps.

warm pattern looks to continue thru the next 10 days as bermuda high/western atlantic ridge build over the region starting 7/11.

Warmer tropical flow should allow temps to remain above normal, overall for the 10 day period.. Increased storm/rain chances could see some days near normal with night time low sver warm. Suspect we are in the low 90s with mins way up. Guidance hinting the w. atlantic ridge will build far enough west to hook with rockies/ plains ridge on/around 7/16..

test8.gif

warm pattern looks to continue thru the next 10 days as bermuda high/western atlantic ridge build over the region starting 7/11.

Warmer tropical flow should allow temps to remain above normal, overall for the 10 day period.. Increased storm/rain chances could see some days near normal with night time low sver warm. Suspect we are in the low 90s with mins way up. Guidance hinting the w. atlantic ridge will build far enough west to hook with rockies/ plains ridge on/around 7/16..

Going to have to disagree with you at least for next week -- I think we're looking at primarily mid 80s with a couple days that could remain in the 70s w/ a lot of clouds/showers around (near normal, maybe slightly below). Next week will be 90s free IMO. A humid, more moist pattern developing mid/late next week. However, early next week should be quite pleasant with low humidity and temps in the low/mid 80s.

Beyond that time frame, once into the 3rd week of July, I could see another pulse of heat.

Going to have to disagree with you at least for next week -- I think we're looking at primarily mid 80s with a couple days that could remain in the 70s w/ a lot of clouds/showers around (near normal, maybe slightly below). Next week will be 90s free IMO. A humid, more moist pattern developing mid/late next week. However, early next week should be quite pleasant with low humidity and temps in the low/mid 80s.

Beyond that time frame, once into the 3rd week of July, I could see another pulse of heat.

Iso, I actually agree (about next week) but was referring to the 10 day period beginning today thru the 16th averaging above normal (overall) with increased storms/rain chances in the more tropical/humid flow. I do think we see the next heat spike on/around the 16th.

Mon - wed (7/9 - 7/11) next week likely best shot at near or below normal but as a whole 7/6 - 7/16 should be above normal with 7/16 ad beyond perhaps seeing the next stronger heat surge as plains ridge builds east or hooks with WAR.

Iso, I actually agree (about next week) but was referring to the 10 day period beginning today thru the 16th averaging above normal (overall) with increased storms/rain chances in the more tropical/humid flow. I do think we see the next heat spike on/around the 16th.

Mon - wed (7/9 - 7/11) next week likely best shot at near or below normal but as a whole 7/6 - 7/16 should be above normal with 7/16 ad beyond perhaps seeing the next stronger heat surge as plains ridge builds east or hooks with WAR.

Did you see the 12z GFS for next week -- absolutely destroys our area with 3-5"+ rains Wed-Sat. Looks like a lot of tropical moisture getting involves.

I agree about the next burst of heat likely after the 15th.

Nothing past this weekend supports 95-100+ temps for the foreseeable future.

All guidance points to a warm period of 80-90 degree temps for the next 2 weeks. The big heat stays west of the plains.

Of course there will be periodic short spikes but the overall signs point to a tranquil but warm pattern for the next 2 weeks.

Did you see the 12z GFS for next week -- absolutely destroys our area with 3-5"+ rains Wed-Sat. Looks like a lot of tropical moisture getting involves.

I agree about the next burst of heat likely after the 15th.

The whole eastern half of the USA gets into a wet period on the guidance and the Heat stays west of that boundary for the next 7-10 days at least. Of course, this is after tomorrow's potential record hot day.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall things moving accordingly albeit less rain than what was prog'ed for last week. Some 90s scattered around last week and this weekend but overall 1 - 3 above normal 7/9 - 7/15. Stronger surge of heat today through the wed (7/18) with thursday a wild card for 90 readings, before we fall back to normal and perhaps slightly below Fri/Sat (7/19 - 7/20) as high pressure off shore NE brings a NE/ENE flow. Guidance seems to warm things back up on/around 7/23 with this period potentially seeing the next surge of heat.

A coupe of things to watch for end of week cool shot (7/19 - 7/21)

1. Newark/LGA not below 70 since 6/27

2. All the major reporting (TTN, LGA EWR, NYC, JFK, TEB) stations have not been below normal dailies since 6/27.

With only limited cool and a continued above normal outlook (overall) the month is looing to finish greater than +3 for many sites, making it the 3rd straight hot July and perhaps setting us up for the hat trick for warm summers.

Overall things moving accordingly albeit less rain than what was prog'ed for last week. Some 90s scattered around last week and this weekend but overall 1 - 3 above normal 7/9 - 7/15. Stronger surge of heat today through the wed (7/18) with thursday a wild card for 90 readings, before we fall back to normal and perhaps slightly below Fri/Sat (7/19 - 7/20) as high pressure off shore NE brings a NE/ENE flow. Guidance seems to warm things back up on/around 7/23 with this period potentially seeing the next surge of heat.

A coupe of things to watch for end of week cool shot (7/19 - 7/21)

1. Newark/LGA not below 70 since 6/27

2. All the major reporting (TTN, LGA EWR, NYC, JFK, TEB) stations have not been below normal dailies since 6/27.

With only limited cool and a continued above normal outlook (overall) the month is looing to finish greater than +3 for many sites, making it the 3rd straight hot July and perhaps setting us up for the hat trick for warm summers.

It looks like we are going to surpass the the highest three in a row July heat average for 93, 94, and 95.

July 10, 11, and 12 should be the new three hottest Julys in a row.

NYC......7-1-93 to 7-31-95....79.6

NYC......7-1-10 to 7-15-12....80.8

It looks like we are going to surpass the the highest three in a row July heat average for 93, 94, and 95.

July 10, 11, and 12 should be the new three hottest Julys in a row.

NYC......7-1-93 to 7-31-95....79.6

NYC......7-1-10 to 7-15-12....80.8

I'm back from Florida where it was cooler because of a death in my wifes family...Since June 29th NYC is averaging 81.2 not counting today...It probably will be the third straight July that averaged over 80.0...A new record...The old record was one before this streak started...

Archived