• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Track Developing El Nino

40/70 Benchmark

Most guidance has us entering into el Nino territory for the summer and I think I speak for most when saying "good, it's time for a change".

Bring it.

Historically, el Ninos are not great for the tropics, but guess what.....I'll bet that we won't have a season any lamer than the last couple have been.

Sure, the ACE mongerers may have to lay off the golden calculator for a season, but for those of us who enjoy tracking a US LFing cane...who cares because they weren't hitting us, anyway.

I'd almost rather a season of nothing, than a season full of nothing but ACE groupies rebutting you each time the lack of US impact is lamented.

But, hey....I'm glad for the unihabited rice patty in Nicaragua that we would have never known existed had it not been for HurricaneJosh videotaping it and adding some of his own, unique, eccentric dialogue.

As autumn heralds another winter, do me the favor of allowing the terms SSW, SWFE, and "gradient pattern" to part ways with your memory banks. We have been in La Nina seemingly since the final swells retreated from Steve's sw RI beachfront property in Feb 1978, and I for one, think it's time for a change.

No more Scooter diatribes regarding how I am due for a garbage season because I have avged 2" above my long term mean over the course of the past 20 years....we can apply one of the most zealous, emphatic CHECKS in the history of mankind to that fetish. Cross that one of the 'ole, perverse bucket list....happy?

Even if we are dealt a 1997-'98 heffer, it absolutely, positively and unequivocally will not be worse than the travesty that I have just endured....bring it.

I guess it could have been worse....sleep well, Will.....thank Christ that this past season's remarkability himen will forever remain pristine and entirely intact, since I received that last 3.1" of monotony.

What kind of monster would have rooted otherwise?

Happy el Nino.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most guidance has us entering into el Nino territory for the summer and I think I speak for most when saying "good, it's time for a change".

Bring it.

Historically, el Ninos are not great for the tropics, but guess what.....I'll bet that we won't have a season any lamer than the last couple have been.

Sure, the ACE mongerers may have to lay off the golden calculator for a season, but for those of us who enjoy tracking a US LFing cane...who cares because they weren't hitting us, anyway.

I'd almost rather a season of nothing, than a season full of nothing but ACE groupies rebutting you each time the lack of US impact is lamented.

But, hey....I'm glad for the unihabited rice patty in Nicaragua that we would have never known existed had it not been for HurricaneJosh videotaping it and adding some of his own, unique, eccentric dialogue.

As autumn heralds another winter, do me the favor of allowing the terms SSW, SWFE, and "gradient pattern" to part ways with your memory banks. We have been in La Nina seemingly since the final swells retreated from Steve's sw RI beachfront property in Feb 1978, and I for one, think it's time for a change.

No more Scooter diatribes regarding how I am due for a garbage season because I have avged 2" above my long term mean over the course of the past 20 years....we can apply one of the most zealous, emphatic CHECKS in the history of mankind to that fetish. Cross that one of the 'ole, perverse bucket list....happy?

Even if we are dealt a 1997-'98 heffer, it absolutely, positively and unequivocally will not be worse than the travesty that I have just endured....bring it.

I guess it could have been worse....sleep well, Will.....thank Christ that this past season's remarkability himen will forever remain pristine and entirely intact, since I received that last 3.1" of monotony.

What kind of monster would have rooted otherwise?

Happy el Nino.

The whole point of my diatribe was that we were "due" for a GOA type low which is exactly what we got. I don't count dud winters that gave us bad luck like '09/'10. That doesn't count, because the overall pattern was very favorable for the East Coast.

Some of the models actually try to bring us back towards weak Nina or neutral by Fall.

This somewhat goes along with my thinking. I really don't see us getting into an EL Nino by the summer, I think there is a chance that by the fall we get into weak Nino territory, however, the signal may be on the weak side so I'm not sure of much of an actual influence it would have on the large-scale pattern, especially considering the atmosphere will still have the lagging effects of the Nina we just had.

This somewhat goes along with my thinking. I really don't see us getting into an EL Nino by the summer, I think there is a chance that by the fall we get into weak Nino territory, however, the signal may be on the weak side so I'm not sure of much of an actual influence it would have on the large-scale pattern, especially considering the atmosphere will still have the lagging effects of the Nina we just had.

I think it seems like we are heading to weak niño it's just that there is some disagreement.

I think it seems like we are heading to weak niño it's just that there is some disagreement.

meh I'm not virtually sold on the Nino just yet. So far the most impressive warmer anomalies and warming has occurred in region 1+2 but we have not really seen much warming at all across the other regions. In fact, the other regions have been much more stable.

I would at least like to start seeing a bit more in the way of warming across these regions occur over the next two months which is certainly possible but right now I would lean more towards neutral than weak Nino at this point...this is for the summer of course, we could try to get a Nino by the fall but even then right now I'd be a bit skeptical.

The Euro did back off in the early March update for the Nino....there's def a chance it could stay neutral or even go back to a weak Nina...I wouldn't favor another Nina but I don't think an actual El Nino is a big favorite yet. ECMWF looks like a warm neutral. I'd probably pick El Nino over any other individual state at this point though.

The whole point of my diatribe was that we were "due" for a GOA type low which is exactly what we got. I don't count dud winters that gave us bad luck like '09/'10. That doesn't count, because the overall pattern was very favorable for the East Coast.

'09'10 was immensely frustrating, but not at all a dud.

I never, ever implied that it was of the ilk of this past winter.

'09'10 was immensely frustrating, but not at all a dud.

I never, ever implied that it was of the ilk of this passed winter.

I was just responding to your comment about you only being 2" over your min. Despite you not having serious + departures, we were sort if expecting something like this winter. It was bound to happen sooner rather than later and boy did it ever.

meh I'm not virtually sold on the Nino just yet. So far the most impressive warmer anomalies and warming has occurred in region 1+2 but we have not really seen much warming at all across the other regions. In fact, the other regions have been much more stable.

I would at least like to start seeing a bit more in the way of warming across these regions occur over the next two months which is certainly possible but right now I would lean more towards neutral than weak Nino at this point...this is for the summer of course, we could try to get a Nino by the fall but even then right now I'd be a bit skeptical.

We'll want the Nino to fail if that is a trend that continues.

I was just responding to your comment about you only being 2" over your min. Despite you not having serious + departures, we were sort if expecting something like this winter. It was bound to happen sooner rather than later and boy did it ever.

I know what you meant.

What a dissapointing tropical\winter couplet....about the worst I have ever seen.

'04-'05 being the best......'95-'96 the 2nd.

I know what you meant.

What a dissapointing tropical\winter couplet....about the worst I have ever seen.

'04-'05 being the best......'95-'96 the 2nd.

Well at least Irene was interesting up here. I mean it's not often we get a system like that up here even though it was weakening. This winter just sucked period. I was locked up all winter in that shed of yours and repeatedly tortured by a beast of a man.

Well at least Irene was interesting up here. I mean it's not often we get a system like that up here even though it was weakening. This winter just sucked period. I was locked up all winter in that shed of yours and repeatedly tortured by a beast of a man.

Irene was a dissapointment....period.

I would have rathered a cat 3 into FL.

Archived