• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Potential March 2nd/3rd: OV, TN Valley, Mid-South, Deep South, Mid-Atlantic, Carolinas

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still getting intermittent blasts of rain, wind, light and noise here in western Douglas County (about 5 miles S of I-20 and a bit east of the Douglas/Carroll border), but what do those of you who know what you're talking about think of the how the cell is shaping up in eastern Douglas County, about to cross over into Cobb along I-20?

It appears to me to be winding down a little according to GRLevel3 radar. There isn't even a SVR or TOR warning for that cell. There is only some slight circulation, but nothing of great concern.

I think this is probably the first tornado outbreak I've followed completely. I've popped into severe threads from time to time but never stayed. I've never really been into severe weather but after the Joplin tornado, I find myself curious about how people respond to warnings and how people react once a tornado does hit their area.

I did notice new wording in the tornado warnings that were issued by the various offices and seeing them use the new dual-pol products to determine when a tornado was actually on the ground was a good thing to see, and it's really going to help them in night time situations.

While it's awful that small communities got hit, it's a miracle that much larger population centers did not.

This is going to be a big news story for a few days, I hope the media doesn't say "they had no warning" because that simply is not true.

Thank you. I'm ok and so are my family and friends. I was in the Jasper area when the storm hit. Damage appears to be minimal in my area of Marietta according to a friend. But it could have been much worse. I won't get to see my house soon. Going to have my buddy drop by and check it out. I think the circulation went a tad north of me but not much. Within fi e miles at the very most.

Kind of makes this weekend even more exciting for you, huh? ;)

BTW, congrats and hope you two have a great time. :D

Did any chasers or citizen photographers get any good video? Been monitoring Twitter, but haven't seen that one video that becomes the defining video of storm, like we saw last year from Tuscalossa and other places? Maybe tomorrow?. Or were so many storms rain wrapped?

Thanks for the input. Amazing what a difference a couple of scans can make. After I posted that msg asking about the cell, left the desk for a minute and came back to a new scan showing it looking a good deal less interesting than when I was posting. A couple more scans and it had pretty much devolved into mush, and then your posts chime in.

Go away to another window for a bit and come back to a new SVR over downtown Atlanta from the backside of that blob that was nothing. Next scan it'll be nothing again, of course.

More rain and thunder and wind, and lots lined up in Alabama heading towards Atlanta.

Thanks for the input. Amazing what a difference a couple of scans can make. After I posted that msg asking about the cell, left the desk for a minute and came back to a new scan showing it looking a good deal less interesting than when I was posting. A couple more scans and it had pretty much devolved into mush, and then your posts chime in.

Go away to another window for a bit and come back to a new SVR over downtown Atlanta from the backside of that blob that was nothing. Next scan it'll be nothing again, of course.

More rain and thunder and wind, and lots lined up in Alabama heading towards Atlanta.

Just checked radar one last time and noticed that little spin up. About to pass over my house very soon. SVR extended too.

And TOR....

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN BARROW COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

SOUTHERN GWINNETT COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

NORTHERN WALTON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

* UNTIL 245 AM EST

* AT 156 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR

SNELLVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

Reports of damage around Harrisburg east of Charlotte including a building collapse..

www.ustream.tv/channel/first-warn-weather-stream#utm_campaign=t.co&utm_source=1093808&utm_medium=social

This was very interesting. I was watching this storm as it passed through

Charlotte, and none of the radars nearby had a good angle on it. So, I

checked the Terminal Doppler, which did show some rotation to the

northeast of the city. Raleigh appeared to pick it up as they had a TOR.

GSP, however, covers the Charlotte area and the storm was about to

exit their CWA. Always a tough call to issue a warning polygon covering

just a handful of miles. This is one of those instances where it would

have been a good thing to allow an office to extend their polygon into a

neighboring CWA.

Paducah NWS area lost more lives in 3 hours on Leap Year morning than all of last years tornadoes and flood deaths combined - and that is saying something. We had the first/second biggest river flood in 100 years and we had the most tornadoes ever recorded (2011).

Now in one morning - with one outbreak - more lives lost than all last year.

I wasn't kidding when I remarked a couple of weeks ago that this severe season may be the worst ever

I hope to God I am WRONG

It's not over yet... Southwest Georgia and the Florida Panhandle will be the spot to see a few tornadoes this morning. Already, a few tornado warnings south of Albany, GA and the cell is heading toward Tifton, GA (though it is weakening as it pushes northeast). Also, another storm has popped up north of Bainbridge, GA so I have my eye trained on that one as these storms are apart from the main line. The atmosphere is still juicy enough, with just enough of everything to be concerned for a touchdown or two in the Tallahassee NWS Coverage area.

Archived