Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 26-27 Winter Storm Potential

kab2791

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madison may not be a bad place to be for this storm. La Crosse, Rochester, and Winona really get into it on this run. 15"+

Definitely atm. Heck, I'd be happy with getting 6 inches as this run shows. This reminds me of typical Dec/Feb blizzards like the ones in Dec. 09 and 10, as well as particularly the two part storm from Feb. 21-23, 2007 I believe. La Crosse and other parts of C Wisconsin got upwards of a foot and a half to two feet of snow in that weekend event.

I think this one might be a I80 N special...Should run along the B-Zone..good setup..enough cold air...hopefully we get some decent snows, as I'm ready to move into spring...however would be pathetic if we ask "Where is spring" in April.. LOL.. Would not surprise me tho lol..

Definitely atm. Heck, I'd be happy with getting 6 inches as this run shows. This reminds me of typical Dec/Feb blizzards like the ones in Dec. 09 and 10, as well as particularly the two part storm from Feb. 21-23, 2007 I believe. La Crosse and other parts of C Wisconsin got upwards of a foot and a half to two feet of snow in that weekend event.

Yeah I remember those storms. I think Milwaukee would do good in a setup like this. The cold air is wrapped up tight close to the low, which is a positive.

...February 23-24th you were under a Blizzard Warning.

I got 4.8 5.8" of snow from that with a spell of freezing rain/drizzle in between the rounds of snow. Winter storm warnings were up here.

One thing is for sure...GFS has little support for its solution. ECMWF/CMC would suggest a much more prolonged event with weaker disturbances ejecting off the main western trough with a more -PNA look to it.

So do you at this point see similarities b/w what is being depicted by most of the models and the Feb. 23/24 event I mentioned above? That was a two part storm here; a smaller wave, then a more copious round with blizzard warnings over a decent sized area and pretty similar track to what is being depicted at this point.

So do you at this point see similarities b/w what is being depicted by most of the models and the Feb. 23/24 event I mentioned above? That was a two part storm here; a smaller wave, then a more copious round with blizzard warnings over a decent sized area and pretty similar track to what is being depicted at this point.

Interesting you mention the Feb 24-25th event. That was a classic COlorado Low. I distinctly remember that because I was in college and all my friends in MN were calling me about that storm. Of course one week later they got pummeled again. Epic week period for MN where some areas saw 2+ feet with both storms.

The first storm:

post-999-0-32941600-1329804023.png

Second storm a week later:

post-999-0-18503600-1329804024.png

As for similarities...I don't really see much since the GOM is completely different with this storm threat. True CO lows deepen significantly off latent energy release with significant GOM moisture...this storm threat won't have that..at least as currently modeled.

Should be fun to see if this can be the first system to come out in one piece like the gfs or if the seasonal trend of energy laying back and digging into the SW i.e. ggem. As of right now lean ggem but who knows a trend isn't a rule and sooner or later we'll get some nice wrapped up systems coming out in one piece.

Should be fun to see if this can be the first system to come out in one piece like the gfs or if the seasonal trend of energy laying back and digging into the SW i.e. ggem. As of right now lean ggem but who knows a trend isn't a rule and sooner or later we'll get some nice wrapped up systems coming out in one piece.

Even in the GFS form the GOM is closed. Would have to eject the perfect wave or it will be nothing more than a glorified frontal wave. That said, it is nice to see a decent threat with true arctic air. My gut says lean CMC/ECMWF. That said...still has potential to be interesting either way.

Here is a nice recap of the storm:

http://www.crh.noaa..../?n=022407_snow

...wow, about 2 feet out by DLL!

Not lying...looking at some of these maps saddens me...what a debacle of a winter we have had. Not one good Colorado Low/Panhandle Hooker all winter. For a mid-westerner, those are a part of life. You have to have one for a winter to be considered decent. Besides a few freak storms, everything ejecting the Rockies N of Colorado has been Junk...and they have all been deep PV's that bomb and stall.

Even in the GFS form the GOM is closed. Would have to eject the perfect wave or it will be nothing more than a glorified frontal wave. That said, it is nice to see a decent threat with true arctic air. My gut says lean CMC/ECMWF. That said...still has potential to be interesting either way.

My gut agrees but I do have a bit of a hunch that this thing will really wind up further west it's been modeled for extremely far in advance and will have a ton of energy with it, these usually will go nuts as they are sat. derived for the next few days.

Not lying...looking at some of these maps saddens me...what a debacle of a winter we have had. Not one good Colorado Low/Panhandle Hooker all winter. For a mid-westerner, those are a part of life. You have to have one for a winter to be considered decent. Besides a few freak storms, everything ejecting the Rockies N of Colorado has been Junk...and they have all been deep PV's that bomb and stall.

I think with this snowfall we are around 14" ish for snow. It is really an insane pattern for this location, the absolute warmest winter ever, and (I haven't checked) at least top ten least snowiest winters.

My gut agrees but I do have a bit of a hunch that this thing will really wind up further west it's been modeled for extremely far in advance and will have a ton of energy with it, these usually will go nuts as they are sat. derived for the next few days.

Very well could happen, but I am not that confident. Working off cold air alone (while arctic in nature) is more difficult for an intense bomb without latent energy to help it along. In ECMWF/CMC form...it wouldn't even matter.

Archived