• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 26-27 Winter Storm Potential

kab2791

Finally looks like a Nice event for most MN.. I think most of MN is in a drought. They need it

MN is way overdue and certainly deserving. Much like northern MI, most of MN has had 1 good winter and 4 horrible ones in recently, while areas just to their south and east have been prospering. And this year is no different, tremendous snow and snowdepth deficits statewide. But I wont lie, Id kill for that storm to cut way south and become a ORD-DTW-CLE special.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MN is way overdue and certainly deserving. Much like northern MI, most of MN has had 1 good winter and 4 horrible ones in recently, while areas just to their south and east have been prospering. And this year is no different, tremendous snow and snowdepth deficits statewide. But I wont lie, Id kill for that storm to cut way south and become a ORD-DTW-CLE special.

There's three areas that need a nice Widespread snow event, Upper MW/GL, Lower OH valley and the YYZ area (GTA). Believe it or not I dont think we need an event that bad. We had our share good/great winters.

There's three areas that need a nice Widespread snow event, Upper MW/GL, Lower OH valley and the YYZ area (GTA). Believe it or not I dont think we need an event that bad. We had our share good/great winters.

Yes! And those three areas really do need a good snow. Toronto's been lacking in the 10"+ snowfall events lately.

FYI- the EURO wunderground maps finally updated.

We need the monster storm as bad as anyone, but yes, they are way overdue for an 8-10" type storm. WRT 8"+ snowstorms, Ive had 6 since Toronto last had 1.

I tell you we are very much due for a monster snow. The last time I remember having 6''+ was back in March 2008.

No we had that Dec 08 storm and the Feb 11 storm. Just over 6", plus that March 2011 storm. It wasnt a 6" storm but for late March Standards I think it would qualify as a 6" snowstorm despite only getting 4".

I think that 6" should be changed to a 12"....the last time we had one was in Mar. 08 lol.

We need the monster storm as bad as anyone, but yes, they are way overdue for an 8-10" type storm. WRT 8"+ snowstorms, Ive had 6 since Toronto last had 1.

Let me try...

Our last 8"+ storm was the March 2008 blizzard. Since then, you've had 6 8"+ storms on:

-Good Friday 2008 superclipper

-December 19, 2008

-Something in February 2010? (I know that month overall was good for you)

-December 12, 2010

-GHD 2011

-February 20, 2011

M I close?

No we had that Dec 08 storm and the Feb 11 storm. Just over 6". Plus that March 2011 storm. Not 6" but for late March Standards I think it would qualify as a 6" snowstorm despite only getting 4-5".

I think that 6" should be changed to a 12"....the last time we had one was in Mar. 08 lol.

The last "official" 6" storm at Toronto was the January 8, 2011 east-wind LES event. GHD was 5 and some change. Same with the March 23, 2011.

But as with LES it wasn't charitable in its snowfall distribution. I think it weakened enough by the time it reached Toronto Blizzard's house that he probably saw well under 6".

No we had that Dec 08 storm and the Feb 11 storm. Just over 6", plus that March 2011 storm. It wasnt a 6" storm but for late March Standards I think it would qualify as a 6" snowstorm despite only getting 4".

Wow, it's been a long time since you a large snowstorm. Given your location, I was thinking Toronto catches the big snowstorms that move through this area on their way east more often. -guess I assumed wrong!

EC fails so bad.

For 10 hours straight we had "snow" on Feb 11, 2012 with temps remaining below 20F for the most part. Yet somehow, someway EC says it was 2.2mm of rain and a Trace of snow, when all was said and done. Yet every other station in the GTA.....even the downtown station had atleast 2" down for that day. See.....this is why I hate EC.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?StationID=5097&Month=2&Year=2012&timeframe=1&Day=11

Hey Toronto blizzard, I recommend sending EC a complaint email about this. I'm sure you got 2" that day too.

The last "official" 6" storm at Toronto was the January 8, 2011 east-wind LES event. GHD was 5 and some change. Same with the March 23, 2011.

But as with LES it wasn't charitable in its snowfall distribution. I think it weakened enough by the time it reached Toronto Blizzard's house that he probably saw well under 6".

That early Feb 2011 storm totaled 6" over a period of 2 days. As for 12" inch snowstorm..were long overdue. I've been patient for a long time now. I'm running out of patience.

Yet DC-Boston over the past 2 years have been getting 12-18"+ snowstorms some how. Thats a disgrace lol.

You'd think we'd atleast see decent LES this year, but no. I got like 6-7" with LES in Dec 2010.

EC fails so bad.

For 10 hours straight we had "snow" on Feb 11, 2012 with temps remaining below 20F for the most part. Yet somehow, someway EC says it was 2.2mm of rain and a Trace of snow, when all was said and done. Yet every other station in the GTA.....even the downtown station had atleast 2" down for that day. See.....this is why I hate EC.

http://www.climate.w...eframe=1&Day=11

Hey Toronto blizzard, I recommend sending EC a complaint email about this. I'm sure you got 2" that day too.

Ya I think I did but I'm not to sure lol. It seems like forever since we've had a good snow. Oh well maybe this Friday something will happen.

EC fails so bad.

http://www.climate.w...eframe=1&Day=11

I don't want to sound too harsh, but you've mentioned this about half a dozen times in the last week. It sucks and so does Pearson. No doubt about it. But I don't think repeatedly posting about it does much good.

Ya I think I did but I'm not to sure lol. It seems like forever since we've had a good snow. Oh well maybe this Friday something will happen.

Lol. We can only hope. i will have a blog post on this storm once I start seeing some consistency. Models like the CMC or the Nam don't phase at all and leave the southern vort energy hanging, thus we get nothing basically, just a weak frontal wave. If all goes well, this can be a decent storm from Southern MI thru EONT.

0z Nam will be interesting.

Let me try...

Our last 8"+ storm was the March 2008 blizzard. Since then, you've had 6 8"+ storms on:

-December 19, 2008

-December 12, 2010

-GHD 2011

-February 20, 2011

M I close?

Im sure you missed one or two in 2009

Wow, it's been a long time since you a large snowstorm. Given your location, I was thinking Toronto catches the big snowstorms that move through this area on their way east more often. -guess I assumed wrong!

It doesn't happen every year but we always do inch out atleast a 8" snowstorm every year but since 08-09 that has become a problem. 2009-10 was blamed for the persistent WB -NAO anomaly thus suppressing every storm and this continued thru Mid Jan 2011. Then the models were hinting at a storm of the century in early Feb 2011 but as we got closer (12 hours out).....all that turned to dust and the ice crystals ruined everything, plus the sudden NW shift thus we only had decent snow for 8-10 hours and all that snow featured different ice crystals which accumulated much differently that most regular storms, given the extremely cold upper air temps. I got just under 8".

And then this year LOL.

Its more common to see 6-8" snowstorms here every year with a 12"+ snowstorm every other year.

I think that had a 978mb bomb over Erie,PA or close at about 144hrs. Talk about missampling the jet stream lol(the February 2009 flop).

It was quite the excitement watching the models only to see it fail just 3-4 days before lol...to squat.

Accuwx began comparing it to the Superstorm (1993) lol.

This is deceiving because, even though the low level flow vectors are off the GOM, the moisture flux is junk as that Day 4 trough wipes the GOM out.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't thinking that there was actually "good" moisture down there to be drawn up. What is the best way to determine the quality of the moisture available?

Thanks for the clarification

Let me try...

-December 19, 2008

-December 12, 2010

-GHD 2011

-February 20, 2011

M I close?

Pretty good guesses!...of your guesses my snowfall totals were:

~Good Friday 2008- 6.8"

~Dec 19, 2008- 8.2"

~Feb 2010 saw two warning criteria storms (8.0" on 9/10th and 7.7" on 21/22nd)

~Dec 12, 2012- 6.3"

~GHD- 10.1"

~Feb 20, 2011- 10.2"

So you were right with 4 of them, and you missed 8.1" on Jan 9/10, 2009...so the answer is actually 5 storms of 8"+ since your last (I was originally counting my 10.3" on Mar 4/5, 2008 as my 6th one, but I believe your 8"+ storm was after March 5th).

Pretty good guesses!...of your guesses my snowfall totals were:~Good Friday 2008- 6.8"~Dec 19, 2008- 8.2" ~Feb 2010 saw two warning criteria storms (8.0" on 9/10th and 7.7" on 21/22nd)~Dec 12, 2012- 6.3"~GHD- 10.1"~Feb 20, 2011- 10.2"So you were right with 4 of them, and you missed 8.1" on Jan 9/10, 2009...so the answer is actually 5 storms of 8"+ since your last (I was originally counting my 10.3" on Mar 4/5, 2008 as my 6th one, but I believe you 8"+ storm was after March 5th).

Yes. 8"+ with the March 7-8, 2008 Apps runner blizzard.

I would never have guessed that storm in Jan 2009. I don't even remember there being a storm early in the month of Jan that year. Time to go check out NARR...:)

Yes. 8"+ with the March 7-8, 2008 Apps runner blizzard.

I would never have guessed that storm in Jan 2009. I don't even remember there being a storm early in the month of Jan that year. Time to go check out NARR... :)

Yeah that storm was interesting in that it was overall a long duration, close to 24-hour event, but a good 4 of the 8 inches fell in a 2-3 hour band on Jan 10th.Its certainly a forgotten storm because of all the action the past several years, but it was nice (and would stick out like a monster in this winter lol)1397.jpg1406.jpg

Archived