Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 26-27 Winter Storm Potential

kab2791

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, quite a break from continuity with the 0z EURO. I'd probably get a round of TSRA up here. :lol:

Somewhat surprising. Intuitively, you'd think considering it bombs the D4-5 storm out to such a great degree, the confluence across E NA would be sufficient to prevent a cut like that. But if the trough is deep/neg tilt enough, I suppose it could overcome that.

12z EURO ensemble mean takes the storm through central Lk Michigan. The vort associated with this storm is going to have to slow and deepen pretty rapidly for it to cut as far north as the 0z EURO, or even the 18z GFS is depicting. There's a transient block in place caused by the D4 storm and it seems to me that the storm is more likely going to try and undercut the upstream ridge. The models, even the with the more NW track, seem to acknowledge this feature with how quickly they occlude the storm.

Right now, I'd say a track from DVN-MKE-MBS is more likely than not.

12z EURO ensemble mean takes the storm through central Lk Michigan. The vort associated with this storm is going to have to slow and deepen pretty rapidly for it to cut as far north as the 0z EURO, or even the 18z GFS is depicting. There's a transient block in place caused by the D4 storm and it seems to me that the storm is more likely going to try and undercut the upstream ridge. The models, even the with the more NW track, seem to acknowledge this feature with how quickly they occlude the storm.

Right now, I'd say a track from DVN-MKE-MBS is more likely than not.

I was thinking a more southern route as well given the highlighted point above.

I was thinking a more southern route as well given the highlighted point above.

Sometimes pattern recognition can be quite visceral rather than analytical. Jamming a sfc low into Lk Superior when you have a ~970mb low spinning off the coast of Labrador just doesn't mesh well.

Of course, I've been wrong many a time before. Let's see if I wear this one as well.

Archived