• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Revisiting the 2011 Ground Hogs Day Blizzard!

SpartyOn

Classic.

Jim Cantore FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJt4nV6hM1Y

That was directly on top of them. The digital flicker of the Camera shows that the EMI associated was incredible.

What a video. That was exactly what it was like on Feb 20th with the thundersnow here. My family was at a family party (I had already left) inside a restaurant that overlooks a golf course. Yet the thunder was so loud and lightning lit up the golf course that everyone in the restaurant noticed it/hear it. I was driving when it happened, I then tried to video and of course, no more thunder.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

preface = not a complaint post, just a balanced reality check post.

GHD was an incredible and historic blizard/storm/event, but not so much for Michigan. In defense of a few of the MI (especially SEMI) posters I feel compelled to share my thoughts:

I see a whopping (2) MI cities making your list, and they are both in the LES areas of SWMI and are accustomed to getting large totals. Outside of that, this was way over hyped/forecasted and "busted" notably on accumulation totals and "real-feel impact" for the majority of areas covered by all the red-zone, mby included.

The winds were sweet, but the grainy sugar-sand flakes were lame thus the visibilties never seemed worthy of the bliz-warnings.

And, the stretched-out (18 hour-ish) duration to get the 9-11" totals (half what many forecast maps were showing across S. Mich) meant plows had their way with the storm instead of the other way around (as you want to see and would expect from a historic storm).

Nope, this was not historic, let alone epic for S. Michigan. Bliz of '99 easily matched or exceeded GHD (even in the areas that made your list) in both total snowfall and real-feel impacts. And that one ranks only perhaps #3 on the list of modern era mega-storms for our area, and a distant 3rd if it does hold that spot.

One year later, would I take another GHD? You betcha, especially with this season! But those of us in S. Michigan can't pretend it was the epic event like it was for a lot you west and SW of us. I think most of us in S. Michigan are still waiting for that day to dawn..

Great post. This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

It was a typical early February winter storm for Detroit, but it didn't shut down the city like it was hyped to do and thus nothing to write home about in the thick of things. Even the Blizzard Warnings technically busted, as I don't even recall 1/4 mile visibilities and 35 MPH wind gusts for longer than an hour (but then again, it's not a good idea to cancel a headline in the middle of a weather event so it remained in effect regardless). Not to mention, if you exclude the wrap around, the totals were more like 6-8", locally less on the east side where sleet was experienced for a period of time.

As for '99, there's no question that it was the better event here. The snowfall fell in a matter of several hours versus 12+ hours with more widespread thundersnow/bigger flakes, not to mention the blizzard criteria was actually met. On top of all that, I don't think there will ever be another time in our lives when a 988mb low tracking NNE between Lansing and Grand Rapids will produce roughly 12" in the Motor City. While GHD's was strange in its own right, '99 wins top honors for the awkward award.

Now on a large scale basis, many will definitely say GHD was the better storm, and just looking at things from a large scale basis I would agree.

I lived in Lancaster, PA for the Valentine's day storm several years back. It was UNREAL...6 to 8 inches of SLEET that froze solid. It was by far the most dense stuff I have ever had to shovel. On top of that, it froze rock solid the night after, so if you didn't shovel your car out or anything out, it was literally frozen in a block of ice. It took that stuff a loooong time to melt.

Ah, the VD storm.

3/16/07 was better down my way (Lower Bucks) with 5" of sleet. VD was like 3-4" of snow/sleet/ice mixed together.

Ok sorry, back on track.

Haha, that Cantore vid above is an absolute classic. You gotta love the "holy smoke!!" You know he wanted to rip off a holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeit!!!!!!

Lol. Yeah you could tell he really wanted to say something else! I was watching the Weather Channel after the WGN news went off for the night and I saw that clip live! Never did see any lightning/hear any thunder this far north.

Lol. Yeah you could tell he really wanted to say something else! I was watching the Weather Channel after the WGN news went off for the night and I saw that clip live! Never did see any lightning/hear any thunder this far north.

Cantore is cool. You can tell the guy really digs the weather and has passion for it.

And whats worse, when I was looking up these pics (its nice because everything on your wunderground photo account is organized by date)...I started looking at pics from other recent years. Looking at data/stats is one thing but its even more pronounced when looking at pics. Man, to say we were due for a stinker winter is an understatement. (Still think we have some better snows coming, but the first half of this winter is definitely a karma one).

Oh, and to those who had sleet, I cant even imagine it. I think the most sleet Ive ever witnessed is 0.5", if that.

Ain't that the truth. Just pulled up pictures and there are mounds of snow waist deep on either side of the driveway. I had to stop looking because it just makes this winter seem even more lousy.

I don't ever recall the Groundhog's day being much of anything here, I noted 4.5" on the first and then 2" of a sleet/freezing rain and snow mixture on the 2nd. I vaguely remember the slop, but it helped to cap a very nice dense snowpack. Of course I just noticed I had only 2 days between Jan 6 and Mar 2 with no snow on the ground with at least 2 weeks of 10"+ on the ground.

Ugly storm here... south of TOL had more WAA snow the night before and the rest of the storm wasn't that great (2" of snow to 3" of sleet plus 1.5" to cap it off.) . According to KTOL's statistics, the February 5th surprise snow (7") was bigger than this storm and actually had worse conditions because nobody was aware of it (except for geeks like me). I remember having probably 5" on main roads when I went Cross Country skiing that day.

This storm was much more memorable here for the wind and hype than for the snow. In the days prior to the storm, everybody was freaking out, and The Weather Network was forecasting 12-18" for the entirety of southern Ontario. I remember people raiding the grocery stores and preparing for the Blizzard of '99 all over again.

We ended up with about 8" of a snow/sleet combination, with another 2.5" due to LES, for a combined storm total of 10.5". It was still out biggest storm of the winter despite underperforming. The winds that night were among the strongest I've ever seen in any storm, with gusts at a weather station nearby topping 65 mph. Although the dry slot killed us, we were in a prime spot for high winds.

Since i lived in one of the hardest hit areas I just want to add a few photos.

On a side note as much as I love snow I never want to see this much snow come from storm ever again.

Great photos! I like the last one with the car's front end in the drift! Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree with you. I shoveled almost every day that week! It was a bit much!

Great photos! I like the last one with the car's front end in the drift! Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree with you. I shoveled almost every day that week! It was a bit much!

Thanks a lot.

Me and and a friend drove around Racine the night after the storm ended and it was amazing to see 75% of the roads not even touched by any plows.

If i recall the last picture was a block away from the lake, drifts were easily 10 ft high. All in all an epic event!!

Thanks a lot.

Me and and a friend drove around Racine the night after the storm ended and it was amazing to see 75% of the roads not even touched by any plows.

If i recall the last picture was a block away from the lake, drifts were easily 10 ft high. All in all an epic event!!

As Geos said welcome to the forums! From your recollection do you remember whether the snow was fine and light flakes or whether they were thicker flakes? I thought they were more fine pixie dust flakes myself, probably due to the wind pulling the dendrites apart. That said, they'd have to be pretty thick flakes to accumulate to more than two feet over the duration of the three day event, including a period of lake effect.

Although this storm was historic for many other parts, I thought it was pretty lame across s/e MI..Ended up with only 11" of snowfall, which was pretty lame considering all the models showed at least 18 and consistently". The whole city of Detroit basically shut-down...

As Geos said welcome to the forums! From your recollection do you remember whether the snow was fine and light flakes or whether they were thicker flakes? I thought they were more fine pixie dust flakes myself, probably due to the wind pulling the dendrites apart. That said, they'd have to be pretty thick flakes to accumulate to more than two feet over the duration of the three day event, including a period of lake effect.

Thanks.

If I recall the flakes seemed like they were a pretty decent size throughout the storm especially when the lake effect band came through. In my opinion that lake effect band was the most intense band I have ever witnessed.

Thanks a lot.

I was out on the morning of the 3rd around the area, including Kenosha and the main roads were clear, but with snow and ice still caked on the roads. Not many side streets in the city were clear at that time. I remember some of the snowbanks were so high at intersections, you had to almost pull way out to see around them. People were digging out until that Saturday!

The totals would've really been unfathomable (as impressive as they were) if the winds weren't so strong. I'm not sure but maybe that is why some models like the RPM were showing some nutty amounts...perhaps it was factoring in better ratios.

Exactly I am happy there was so much wind. I much rather have huge drifts instead of dealing with 30+ inches of snow everywhere.

BLIZZARD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

431 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011

...CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY KILLER BLIZZARD TO CONTINUE THIS

MORNING...

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-

021845-

/O.NEW.KLOT.WC.A.0001.110203T0300Z-110203T1800Z/

/O.CON.KLOT.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-110202T2100Z/

WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-

LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-

LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...

WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEA

ON...CHICAGO...

OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PON

IAC...

WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...R

NSSELAER...

FOWLER

431 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011 /531 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011/

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM CST /4 PM EST/

THIS AFTERNOON...

...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY

MORNING. A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM CST

/4 PM EST/ THIS AFTERNOON.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE EARLY THIS MORNING OVER

NORTHEAST ILLINOIS AND FAR NORTHWEST INDIANA. THE HEAVY SNOWFALL

WILL GRADUALLY SHIFT INTO NORTHWEST INDIANA BY LATE MORNING INTO

THE AFTERNOON. ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL SHOULD END OVER NORTH

CENTRAL ILLINOIS EARLY THIS MORNING AND OVER NORTHEAST ILLINOIS

BY MID TO LATE MORNING. ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL END OVER

NORTHWEST INDIANA BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS

WILL GRADUALLY EASE AS WINDS SLOWLY SUBSIDE THIS MORNING INTO

THE AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS THIS MORNING OF 2 TO 5

INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA...AND

OVER NORTHWEST INDIANA THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON. ELSEWHERE

ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE LESS THAN TWO INCHES. STORM

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE IN THE 12 TO 18 INCH RANGE OVER

NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS...INCLUDING ROCKFORD AND VICINITY. STORM

TOTALS OVER THE CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA SHOULD END UP IN THE

15 TO 24 INCH RANGE...WITH TOTALS FROM NORTHWEST INDIANA

SOUTHWEST INTO EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS IN THE 8 TO 14 INCH RANGE.

THE SEVERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING HAS RESULTED IN SNOW DRIFTS OF

OVER 5 FEET IN AREAS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS FROM 20 TO 30 MPH...WITH WIND GUSTS TO

40 MPH ARE LIKELY AWAY FROM THE LAKE THIS MORNING BEFORE

SUBSIDING THIS AFTERNOON TO 10 TO 20 MPH. NEAR THE LAKE MORE

FEROCIOUS WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 50 MPH ARE

LIKELY THIS MORNING BEFORE SUBSIDING TO 15 TO 25 MPH THIS

AFTERNOON.

* BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH THE INTENSE

WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE OUT CONDITIONS OVER NORTHEAST

ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA THIS MORNING. OVER NORTH CENTRAL

ILLINOIS...FALLING SNOW HAS SUBSIDED HOWEVER THE STRONG WINDS

WILL CONTINUE TO RESULT IN GROUND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS THIS

MORNING WITH ZERO VISIBILITY IN OPEN AREAS.

* TRAVEL...LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT THAT NEARLY EVERY

ROADWAY IS IMPASSABLE AND IN MANY CASES CLOSED. A STATE OF

EMERGENCY HAS BEEN DECLARED AND LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE

PLEADING FOR PEOPLE TO STAY HOME AND OFF ROADWAYS. THERE HAVE

BEEN NUMEROUS REPORTS OF CARS OFF ROADWAYS AND PEOPLE STRANDED

AND THE EXTREME CONDITIONS ARE MAKING IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR

RESCUE PERSONAL TO REACH THE STRANDED. VISIBILITIES ARE SO POOR

IN OPEN AREAS THAT MOTORISTS COULD BECOME DISORIENTED AND UNABLE

TO EVEN SEE BEYOND THE HOOD OF THEIR CARS. BEFORE CONSIDERING

GETTING ON THE ROADS THIS MORNING...ASK YOURSELF IF GETTING TO

YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE. CONDITIONS WILL

LIKELY SLOWLY IMPROVE LATER THIS MORNING INTO THE AFTERNOON AS

WINDS SUBSIDE AND SNOW ENDS...BUT UNTIL THEN...DO NOT TRAVEL!

* POWER OUTAGES...STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CONTINUE TO RESULT

IN NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES. IN ADDITION...THE ADVERSE

CONDITIONS COULD MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO RESTORE POWER.

* OTHER IMPACTS...THE DEEP SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL MAKE SHOVELING

VERY DIFFICULT...AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY. DURING AND

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE BLIZZARD OF 1999 OVER 40 PEOPLE IN

THE CHICAGO AREA ALONE LOST THEIR LIVES TO HEART ATTACKS WHILE

SHOVELING THE HEAVY SNOWFALL. TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS INDOORS AND

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE TASK AT HAND WHEN SHOVELING.

* WIND CHILLS...STRONG WINDS AND COLD TEMPERATURES ARE RESULTING

IN VERY COLD CONDITIONS TODAY WITH WIND CHILLS NEAR ZERO.

HOWEVER TONIGHT...BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES ARE LIKELY WITH

TEMPERATURES RANGING FROM 5 BELOW DOWNTOWN TO 20 BELOW IN THE

COLDEST OUTLYING AREAS. THE WINDS WILL SUBSIDE TONIGHT...BUT

STILL STRONG ENOUGH TO PRODUCE WIND CHILLS OF 20 TO 40 BELOW

ZERO.

One year ago today at 5:00PM we had this...

METAR KLAF 312154Z 09015KT 1/4SM +SN VV007 M06/M09 A3017 RMK AO2 SNB17 SLP226 P0000 T10611094

At 7:00PM it had turned over to this...

METAR KLAF 312354Z 08015G23KT 8SM UP FEW013 OVC021 M07/M09 A3011 RMK AO2 UPB23SNE23 SLP206 P0001 60002 T10671094 11039 21067 56034

The rest was history.

Archived