Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27th 2011: Memories...

Chris L

what a storm this was.....

:snowing:

TheTrials got this one right and so did Nzucker, if I recall correctly.

the evening of the January 26, had some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen; must have picked up 12" in 3-4 hours alone; ended up with around 16 inches of snow; snow depths were in the 25-30" range the next morning....

Some Photo

s: 24bq58i.jpg

x3wab.jpg

Absolutely buried at night....

.16c9nci.jpg

and I'm still amazed at how well bamboo grows in NJ in the middle of winter!! :o

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never forget this storm because it occurred on the day my wife and I got on a plane to move to Israel. When we woke up that morning with the surprise 3 inches of snow already on the ground, I pretty much guaranteed my wife our plane will be cancelled and our move will be delayed. That whole day we packed up anyways, just in case. I distinctly remember carrying boxes outside with snow falling thinking it was pointless. Deep down I was hoping too the flight would get cancelled because I did not want to miss the storm.

But some how, we made it to the airport, the flight was still scheduled to go, for there was a lull between the first 3 inches of snow and then the main storm which hit at night. Even at the airport, I still thought we would not take off. But we made it to the plane, sat down in our seats, and then that massive thundersleet hit. The plane actually shook and we could hear the pings of sleet hitting the windows. It was the first time I really heard any thunder during a snow storm, and it was exciting but also frustrating because I was in a plane about to take off.

The plane then indeed rolled out of the gate, got di-iced, and took off, leaving me to not experience the most awesome part of that storm. Being a snow lover, but also passionate about living in Israel, it was ironic that I left under these circumstances. It was great arriving safely in Israel, but painful reading about the awesome snow that I missed.

Now I pray for snow in Jerusalem, and feel thankful that at least I experienced the Boxing Day storm, the mini-storms that followed after, and at least part of this storm with the thunder sleet.

It snows in this area?

One of the great things about living in the NYC metro area - you'll never get bored of snow. Just as we were beginning to get accustomed to snowier winters after last year, mother nature pulled the rug out and gave us a snowless one. But now I want to see a big storm that much more - the drive, the fire, the passion is re-ignited. Don't know about you but if I lived in VT/NH/ME I wouldn't even think twice about a 3-6" event anymore. I'd probably still track the foot+ storms, but snow becomes much more run of the mill up there.

It snows in this area?

One of the great things about living in the NYC metro area - you'll never get bored of snow. Just as we were beginning to get accustomed to snowier winters after last year, mother nature pulled the rug out and gave us a snowless one. But now I want to see a big storm that much more - the drive, the fire, the passion is re-ignited. Don't know about you but if I lived in VT/NH/ME I wouldn't even think twice about a 3-6" event anymore. I'd probably still track the foot+ storms, but snow becomes much more run of the mill up there.

Snow in the NYC area is just like fishing to me.

If I caught a hundred fish every time I went fishing, then I would have no passion for it and no drive to "get them next time".

Same as snow. If it snowed every day and was "too easy", there would be no excitement.

AG3 and I were two of like 5 people up watching this storm at 2am when it was 5 inches an hour, easy.

Beautiful band from just west of nyc, across ag3's house, up and over I-95

bliss.

I was up throughout the storm, and watched that band crawl east across Nassau County. Just an unbelievable sight, and snow so intense you could practically see it pile up.

I witnessed that band during the dead of night... It was like, if not better than the most intense band of snow I saw back in the 90's living in Buffalo, NY.. 12/95 was an amazing event in Buffalo, NY...

In any event, if I am lucky, I'll see snow fall that hard a few more times in my life time... As others have said- a snow event from 3am -8pm on a friday like this would be so unreal with temps in the low to mid 20's... That's my dream.....

Archived