Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27th 2011: Memories...

Chris L

what a storm this was.....

:snowing:

TheTrials got this one right and so did Nzucker, if I recall correctly.

the evening of the January 26, had some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen; must have picked up 12" in 3-4 hours alone; ended up with around 16 inches of snow; snow depths were in the 25-30" range the next morning....

Some Photo

s: 24bq58i.jpg

x3wab.jpg

Absolutely buried at night....

.16c9nci.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jan 26-27 storm was not the biggest of the season for me, but I did have thundersleet and incredibly heavy snow rates that evening...It was the perfect cap on the trifecta of big storms, and I remember taking a long Jebwalk just admiring the 14" of snow falling on top of an already large snowpack in Dobbs Ferry. We had well over a foot on the ground prior to the storm and finished it with a snowdepth around 26", with close to 30" in some of the sheltered areas of the higher-elevation nature preserve. We also hit this snowdepth after the 2/2 snowfall and capped it off with .5" ice accretion, followed by bitter cold. It's amazing to think how beautiful and transformative last winter was compared to this total dud...what a difference a year makes :cry:

The Jan 26-27 storm was not the biggest of the season for me, but I did have thundersleet and incredibly heavy snow rates that evening...It was the perfect cap on the trifecta of big storms, and I remember taking a long Jebwalk just admiring the 14" of snow falling on top of an already large snowpack in Dobbs Ferry. We had well over a foot on the ground prior to the storm and finished it with a snowdepth around 26", with close to 30" in some of the sheltered areas of the higher-elevation nature preserve. We also hit this snowdepth after the 2/2 snowfall and capped it off with .5" ice accretion, followed by bitter cold. It's amazing to think how beautiful and transformative last winter was compared to this total dud...what a difference a year makes :cry:

the good news is we are already over half thru this horrid winter.. Always good to get the bad ones out of the way, just gotta hope for a Chris L NINO next year

the good news is we are already over half thru this horrid winter.. Always good to get the bad ones out of the way, just gotta hope for a Chris L NINO next year

The issue for next season is the Atlantic side; if we get a decent block, with Nino, then we'll be using analogs like 77-78, 92-93, 02-03, and maybe to a extreme, 09-10.

Why was this storm so poorly forecasted? A total bust for the morning and the predictions for the evening were paltry, even the morning of.

My final call was 7 - 13" for the storm which was only supposed to be the night time part...That seemed to verify nicely, however, the morning shot was a nice surprise. I don't know how/if I can bring up forecast soundings from back then, but a friend of mine has pointed out how the models may have shown nothing- couple hundredths qpf output with that first shot, but the soundings were hinting at the surprise amts. In that they were showing intense omega/dendrite growth at 600 mb above a dry layer that the model interpreted as "this will not reach the ground".

another awesome storm to track. I think the snow rates for a 3 hr period were even heavier than the Boxing Day blizzard.

2011_0126_27_kdix.gif

Watch the bow echo headed for the south shore at the beginning of the loop. I had 50mph gusts and torrential sleet Ill never forget that! It was probably sleeting at a rate of several inches an hour (though it only lasted 20 minutes) But had the intensity of a solid summer thunderstorm for both lightning wind and precip rates!

Watch the bow echo headed for the south shore at the beginning of the loop. I had 50mph gusts and torrential sleet Ill never forget that! It was probably sleeting at a rate of several inches an hour (though it only lasted 20 minutes) But had the intensity of a solid summer thunderstorm for both lightning wind and precip rates!

That's not a bow echo, its cellurlar in nature and it actually had rotation because craig allen was screaming about it on 880am as it approached.

The 2nd closest near miss I had last winter behind 12/26 - evening round started with snow/sleet and by the time it was plain snow, the heavy banding was barely a few miles to my east. I still had 1 hour of zero visibility and 3"/hour rates, with a storm total of 14 inches. If I remember correctly there was also a surprise round of snow the day before the storm (not the morning surprise round) with 2-3 inches or so.

Looks like bow echo to me... Certainly had all the signs of a bow echo on the ground. If it looks like a dog and acts like a dog its probably a dog.

I remember i was in the Roosevelt Field mall when that hit. I was on my phone reading the board hearing the reports and went outside to a torrential sleet storm. Little did i know that was just the beginning of the fun. i miss last winter.

Archived