Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27th 2011: Memories...

Chris L

no, i mean that was just from night.

You told me you had between 4-5 in the morning, and then an additional 14-18 at night IIRC

I don't think so....obviously if i did, then I under recorded.....the storm was just so freaking intense, honestly it was difficult to keep track...I was also driving around at 3am trying to see if i could get stuck, so.....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how do you rank any of your storms when they all magically give you three feet? ;)

Sorry bro, for many of us, 1/27 trumped Boxing Day.

Lol what a joke...at least here there is no comparison. The severity of boxing day completely trumps any other storm with the exception of 1996...I wouldn't know anyway since I was living in NY at the time. But boxing day beats 1/27 in every category you would look at for snowstorms...intensity, totals, wind, temps, list goes on.

That was sleet....boxing day had close to those DBZ levels and was all snow with blizzard criteria for several hours.

no it wasn't sleet, that was way after the mixing some reported

thats ripping snow

dont be jealous you didn't get reds and we did.

and again, congrats on being windier.

love how you get trolled for reporting too much snow when even on the official map, the 32" mark is on your house.

Thats the way it goes man...it's all good though. I got assed for 4 years and came in with the lowest totals in 07-09. Even the March '09 event screwed me. I think I had like 4 inches.

I've been very fortunate the past few years to say the least.

Lol what a joke...at least here there is no comparison. The severity of boxing day completely trumps any other storm with the exception of 1996...I wouldn't know anyway since I was living in NY at the time. But boxing day beats 1/27 in every category you would look at for snowstorms...intensity, totals, wind, temps, list goes on.

Exactly, in the middle of NJ, no comparison, for those who dont live where you do, its better.

simple geographics and also you have a wind fetish, I could care less how windy a storm is.

that's the one, no reds ever showed up on the boxing day radar. Look at those 5 inch an hour rates.

OH baby!

the max reflectivity (as all snow) with both events was between 35-40 dbz

some of those brighter colors over LI are likely from bright banding

the max reflectivity (as all snow) with both events was between 35-40 dbz

some of those brighter colors over LI are likely from bright banding

except the people under them were getting pumled with snow, its not sleet, not at that part of the storm. Go back and look at the obs.

and yet, your beloved boxing day is only a mid 3 on nesis, while others far less windy are higher up.

That has nothing to do with why Boxing Day is low...it's low because it didn't impact the entire megalopolis like the other historical ones have.

Sorry man but 20 inches of snow falling straight downwards like rain drops would bore me to death.

Wind is one of the biggest factors in the big ones..period.

That has nothing to do with why Boxing Day is low...it's low because it didn't impact the entire megalopolis like the other historical ones have.

Sorry man but 20 inches of snow falling straight downwards like rain drops would bore me to death.

and i prefer to be able to measure my snow and not have 40 inches in one spot and bare grass 20 feet away

each to his own.

100 percent agree, Boxing day blows 1/27 out of the water.

To be honest, February 1-2, 2011 is king if we had the block it place; it would be bigger than Jan 1996, Dec 2010, Feb 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 1978, Feb 1961 and so on.

That thing had NO Atlantic or Gulf moisture interaction, but man was it dynamic... We could have gotten 30-40 inches widespread amounts had that thing roared up the coast.

To compare JAN 26 with Boxing Day is a little bit different.

At its peak for snow fall rates, Jan 26 tops it for a time; but on a WHOLE, Boxing Day wins for New Jersey, widespread 20+ amounts in NYC metro.

Boxing Day may win for the eastern half of NJ, but certainly not for the western half, which got completely shafted by Boxing Day. January 26-27 was much more widespread. I got about 17'' from that storm in New Brunswick, and the snowpack was over 20'', deepest snowpack I can remember since at least PDII. It was also the one and only time I've witnessed thundersleet and thundersnow. The snow rates that night were just incredible. My personal favorite storm out of the 09-10 and 10-11 winters.

The wind in the boxing day event was obscene for my area-easily 55-60 mph in some of the gusts. We had less than you did, but the wind made it just a pure whiteout at times.

Archived