• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
D6 event....blizzard, flizzard, rain, or partly cloudy?

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it is worth ... the 12z NAM is now trended stronger with the southern stream at 48 hours compared to the same period off the 00z and 06z runs. We'll see what this relays into down stream...

By the way, for moderation/Will etc, did I log in I am being redirected to a 404 error, can not load page type screen, but the indication at the top is tha that the log in was successful nonetheless. Just fyi -

The southern stream could go nuclear, and it still wouldn't do a thing as long as the PV is sitting over us. There is strong UL over the entire eastern US. Not exactly favorable for cyclogenesis

One of my personal favorites:

we can inject HGH into the southern stream...it's not going to make a world of difference if we have that giant gyre spinning near us.

The southern stream could go nuclear, and it still wouldn't do a thing as long as the PV is sitting over us. There is strong UL over the entire eastern US. Not exactly favorable for cyclogenesis

One of my personal favorites:

We'll see, but this run is not as bad as some have opined.

It is about 4-6 hours slower in longitude

It has slightly stronger embedded wind maxima

There is subtle but important interaction with the western end of the SPV over the last two cycles

That feature N of us would be stretched and less consequential should the western end of the PV subsume more readily; that would be outside the 84 hour period of this run

These are all positives that can be taken away from this.

For what it is worth ... the 12z NAM is now trended stronger with the southern stream at 48 hours compared to the same period off the 00z and 06z runs. We'll see what this relays into down stream...

By the way, for moderation/Will etc, did I log in I am being redirected to a 404 error, can not load page type screen, but the indication at the top is tha that the log in was successful nonetheless. Just fyi -

John, it looks as though it's developing it later, so hence my comment about non-delivery.

We'll see, but this run is not as bad as some have opined.

It is about 4-6 hours slower in longitude

It has slightly stronger embedded wind maxima

There is subtle but important interaction with the western end of the SPV over the last two cycles

That feature N of us would be stretched and less consequential should the western end of the PV subsume more readily; that would be outside the 84 hour period of this run

These are all positives that can be taken away from this.

Yeah agreed. The 12z NAM has some notable improvements. The slower trough allows the PV to get out of the way a bit more, allowing more amplified ridging over the east coast.

However, most of the positives I see are showing up beyond hr60, which isn't exactly in the NAM's wheelhouse.

I hate doing this, but I don't think the NAM would be all that bad, beyond 84 hrs.

Agreed. And if you put any stock in model trends this run trended slower with the surface reflection and better with phasing at 500. At 84hr the 500 low instead of sitting just north of Maine is now somewhat split with some nrg heading east and someheading back west. The upper low sitting to the north of lake Superior looks like it wants to deepen and help raise heights on the coast. Of course its probably just the NAM stringing us along, raising false hopes etc.. I'll need to see the euro make some changes before getting excited.

Agreed. And if you put any stock in model trends this run trended slower with the surface reflection and better with phasing at 500. At 84hr the 500 low instead of sitting just north of Maine is now somewhat split with some nrg heading east and someheading back west. The upper low sitting to the north of lake Superior looks like it wants to deepen and help raise heights on the coast. Of course its probably just the NAM stringing us along, raising false hopes etc.. I'll need to see the euro make some changes before getting excited.

Are you a met by any chance?

I think what we want to see is a slower evolution. if this thing can hold off until Sunday night/Monday we might be in good shape. That seems to be the concensus last night and so far on the NAM is to slow the evolution down. Yesterday it was being modelled as Saturday night into Sunday which would force things farther south and east

Very conducive flow to get something up the coast ..vortex moving away NE..what is bad about that panel you posted? That map screams of snow breaking out 12-24 hrs later

I'm going to sit back and defer to those with more experience. I'll agree, I may have spoken too soon but it is also the NAM at 84h. It has also sniffed out threats in it's clown range.

It is slower and has the precip field further south, 06z looks like it was developing a low off the carolinas at 84hr and the 12z has not...........

I think the 500 pattern is better on this run, as compared to 06z. Take a look at the h 78 panel and compare it to hr 84 on the 06z run. It has less confluence to the north, and a stronger s/w across AR.

"You are seeing today an all out attempt

to marshal the forces of the extrapolated NAM,

using not merely the trolls, or their

fellow travelers-the deluded weenies, the

eggheads, and some of my good friends

in both the amateur and meteorologist Parties

who can become heros over night in the eyes

of the weenies if they

will just join with the jackal pack"

mccarthy%20joe.jpg

"You are seeing today an all out attempt

to marshal the forces of the extrapolated NAM,

using not merely the trolls, or their

fellow travelers-the deluded weenies, the

eggheads, and some of my good friends

in both the amateur and meteorologist Parties

who can become heros over night in the eyes

of the weenies if they

will just join with the jackal pack"

Have you started doing drugs now that you're in college?

I think the 500 pattern is better on this run, as compared to 06z. Take a look at the h 78 panel and compare it to hr 84 on the 06z run. It has less confluence to the north, and a stronger s/w across AR.

Your correct, The confluence is further NW and sw is stronger down south, I would think that would give it some room to amplify more north and west........

I was pretty encouraged by the 12Z NAM. two streams seem to be moving into phase somewhat and the axis still back near IL at 84 hours. Lets just say it is a marked improvement over 0Z whether or not it quite gets there yet...

Very conducive flow to get something up the coast ..vortex moving away NE..what is bad about that panel you posted? That map screams of snow breaking out 12-24 hrs later

Have you started doing drugs now that you're in college?

:lmao: no. Maybe after a few more months without snow though.

The reference was to last night by the way. I had mentioned how extrapolating the NAM had become such a frowned upon unmentionable practice.

The 12z NAM looks like it would turn out very good for New England ... if I were to extrapolate, which I would of course never do...

The reference was to last night by the way. I had mentioned how extrapolating the NAM had become such a frowned upon unmentionable practice.

The 12z NAM looks like it would turn out very good for New England ... if I were to extrapolate, which I would of course never do...

LOL. We will still do it anyways.

I don't think I'd ever base a forecast on the NAM overall, but it has it's uses. Sometimes it will fire a first shot such as out around 72 hours plus ...then watch it lose it on the next run and stink for the next 36 hours. It's main use is mesocale stuff such as where lake effect bands will set up, low level cold air etc.

Archived