• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
D6 event....blizzard, flizzard, rain, or partly cloudy?

weathafella

Speaking of jobs..it's beginning to become of serious concern for me too. With the job market so terrible...and the meteorology job market so selective and pretty terrible to begin with..and the potential for me to be "jobless" for a while after graduation...the general economic stress I am under even at the current moment has forced me to reconsider my career several times the past few months.

Well since none of this is OT...

totally agree. I feel lucky to have both private wx experience and weather observing experience, but this market is awful. I think we are graduating close to 1000 mets a year nationwide...

60 or so are hired by NWS (with 20+ going to SCEPS) and maybe 100-200 going private wx. The rest have a worthless degree.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, exactly. I have spoken to several graduates who still don't have meteorology jobs and it's just a real shame...and from the outside looking in very concerning.

Let's also add that I am incessantly bad at mathematics which just isn't going to fly in this major either. I am getting by, but barely, and it's painful.

I love meteorology and everything around it, but I guess it just comes to a point where you divide the line between dream and reality, and the reality is that I have no money and might need to pursue other things before I get my meteorology degree and have the time to sit around for a few years while begging the NWS to hire me. That time is not now.

I'm not pulling the trigger on anything yet, but it's just a whole lot of stress and uncertainty that's building up at the moment.

Get private wx experience...best thing you can do.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that I wasn't going to go to school, just that I may need to seriously reconsider minoring in something else or beginning to turn focus to another potential field while the meteorology job market rots faster than the southern stream shortwave on tonights Euro.

I know....I just meant don't be in a hurry to finish and rush into this disaster.

Met job are hard to come by right now because of the process and the volume...its absolutely PATHETIC how many bad mets I keep seeing get hired by the NWS because of their rigid rules.

I can't even get on the committee for NWS BOX right now probably because I don't have a high enough GPA (my GPA was 2.8 at Cornell)...despite the fact that I (I'm trying to toot my own horn here) probably know 100x more about SNE weather than any "prospect" would know who is applying to NWS BOX for their opening.

I'm out of NWS anyway right now...I am trying to expand my own business, but I was just using that as an example of how effing bad the process is. Their process will eliminate me on the first cut easily and easily pass a college grad from Texas A&M who knows absolute sh** about SNE weather...that's the massive flaw in the system.

You think they would focus on where that GPA was attained....Christ.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that I wasn't going to go to school, just that I may need to seriously reconsider minoring in something else or beginning to turn focus to another potential field while the meteorology job market rots faster than the southern stream shortwave on tonights Euro.

laugh.gif

Seriously one of the funniest things I have ever heard regarding such a depressing topic.

Met job are hard to come by right now because of the process and the volume...its absolutely PATHETIC how many bad mets I keep seeing get hired by the NWS because of their rigid rules.

I can't even get on the committee for NWS BOX right now probably because I don't have a high enough GPA (my GPA was 2.8 at Cornell)...despite the fact that I (I'm trying to toot my own horn here) probably know 100x more about SNE weather than any "prospect" would know who is applying to NWS BOX for their opening.

I'm out of NWS anyway right now...I am trying to expand my own business, but I was just using that as an example of how effing bad the process is. Their process will eliminate me on the first cut easily and easily pass a college grad from Texas A&M who knows absolute sh** about SNE weather...that's the massive flaw in the system.

Read your PM. And yes, totally agree.

Oh I agree, it's an absolute joke. There are so many people who I have been in contact with over the past year or so, and it's funny how they all are separated into certain "types" of meteorology students. There are always the select few that are just so ridiculously annoying, they know literally nothing of patterns, guidance, sensible weather, but they know the equations and can do them with their eyes closed--and have just enough sensible wx knowledge to get into the NWS. The guidlines they have set up are a real problem. I hope this post doesn't annoy any current NWS mets--but the facts are the facts regarding their application. There are a disproportionate amount of meteorologists without jobs that should be working full time and being recruited for their abilities, but that's not the way it works. And that's part of the reason I am so uncertain right now.

I am turning 21 in May and everybody here knows how quickly things go after that. I am lucky enough to have a few close friends who are just a few years older than me. But the general idea here is that I have the rare opportunity to see how things will develop before they do--and with the way things are moving now, this type of slow motion, it's just not going to work for me. I can't get out of school and not have a job for a few years...which is why I have been so unsettled lately in that regard and have been considering a minor addition or major change.

Who knows..this is just late night dribble at this point.

Oh I agree, it's an absolute joke. There are so many people who I have been in contact with over the past year or so, and it's funny how they all are separated into certain "types" of meteorology students. There are always the select few that are just so ridiculously annoying, they know literally nothing of patterns, guidance, sensible weather, but they know the equations and can do them with their eyes closed--and have just enough sensible wx knowledge to get into the NWS. The guidlines they have set up are a real problem. I hope this post doesn't annoy any current NWS mets--but the facts are the facts regarding their application. There are a disproportionate amount of meteorologists without jobs that should be working full time and being recruited for their abilities, but that's not the way it works. And that's part of the reason I am so uncertain right now.

I am turning 21 in May and everybody here knows how quickly things go after that. I am lucky enough to have a few close friends who are just a few years older than me. But the general idea here is that I have the rare opportunity to see how things will develop before they do--and with the way things are moving now, this type of slow motion, it's just not going to work for me. I can't get out of school and not have a job for a few years...which is why I have been so unsettled lately in that regard and have been considering a minor addition or major change.

Who knows..this is just late night dribble at this point.

I love the fact OT responses aren't immediately deleted over here.

I added you a couple days ago on twitter. Add me. PV_anomaly

While it was really depressing on how I had to leave school after only one semester and how it's been real depressing and difficult in trying to get back I seriously think in the end this may work out for the better. If I can get back to school next fall I'll basically be 23 and I'll probably be 28 when I graduate...I then plan on going to grad school at some point...hopefully right after to get my doctorate so say I'll be 32-33ish? Hopefully by then the job market and economy will have vastly improved.

Another thing that has worked in my favor I think is now that I see things for how they are I will apply myself so much better and do whatever I can to get good grades, when I first started college my grades were actually very bad and I was on academic probation. Now when I go back I'm going to do whatever I have to do to get straight A's, I'm going to work my tail off, and try to build the best resume I can build.

While it was really depressing on how I had to leave school after only one semester and how it's been real depressing and difficult in trying to get back I seriously think in the end this may work out for the better. If I can get back to school next fall I'll basically be 23 and I'll probably be 28 when I graduate...I then plan on going to grad school at some point...hopefully right after to get my doctorate so say I'll be 32-33ish? Hopefully by then the job market and economy will have vastly improved.

Another thing that has worked in my favor I think is now that I see things for how they are I will apply myself so much better and do whatever I can to get good grades, when I first started college my grades were actually very bad and I was on academic probation. Now when I go back I'm going to do whatever I have to do to get straight A's, I'm going to work my tail off, and try to build the best resume I can build.

what are you going back to college for, degree wise?

what are you going back to college for, degree wise?

meteorology...but I guess when I'm all said and done I'd also have a degree in math and physics so even if I can't find a met job I should still have options to work with...I could always look into becoming a science teacher at a school or something.

Yeah you should definitely not feel behind the curve.. to be honest I had no idea what I wanted to do or how to go about doing it when I entered college. As a result I didn't really apply myself, although I eeked by with decent grades, and it is an even bigger problem for me now. I definitely need to get my **** together. I would definitely recommend not going straight into college for people like me and taking a year or two (or more) after HS to get some work experience.

meteorology...but I guess when I'm all said and done I'd also have a degree in math and physics so even if I can't find a met job I should still have options to work with...I could always look into becoming a science teacher at a school or something.

yea, i was originally going to psu for meteorology and i saw the math and physics that were involved i just couldn't do it. I'm horrible in math, not my strong suit. So got my BS in turf management.....Teaching would deff. be a good area to look into, as long as there are schools there is going to be a need for teachers, and you really don't hear of many schools shutting down.

By the way, don't look at the 06z NAM if you were hoping for a better trend in regard to the confluence over the Northeast and the handling of the northern stream mess.

i honestly have lost hope for the weekend system. Im actually a little intrigued by this north trend on the models with thursdays system. Just need that pv to lift north a little more.

Yeah you should definitely not feel behind the curve.. to be honest I had no idea what I wanted to do or how to go about doing it when I entered college. As a result I didn't really apply myself, although I eeked by with decent grades, and it is an even bigger problem for me now. I definitely need to get my **** together. I would definitely recommend not going straight into college for people like me and taking a year or two (or more) after HS to get some work experience.

Yeah I really think by having this time off from school in the end is probably going to help me, I just see now how hard you really have to apply yourself. Life outside of high school is so different and it's really incredible how quickly things become more serious as soon as you graduate high school. In high school basically anyone can pass lol...as long as you show up and just do the work...you don't even have to apply yourself really, you can BS your way through a large part of it...you can do that in college but it's not only more difficult to succeed but when it's time to look into a career grades can really scare some employers away. My opinion on grades are that grades don't really show how intelligent a person is but is more of a reflection of how dedicated someone is and how hard working someone is. I mean there are people who can simply pass everything with excellent grades and not have to apply themselves at all but not everyone is blessed like that.

yea, i was originally going to psu for meteorology and i saw the math and physics that were involved i just couldn't do it. I'm horrible in math, not my strong suit. So got my BS in turf management.....Teaching would deff. be a good area to look into, as long as there are schools there is going to be a need for teachers, and you really don't hear of many schools shutting down.

There is a teacher who teaches at the high school I went to, he actually graduated from LSC with a met degree...he also got his masters online from Mississippi state in 2007. This guy is a great forecaster, not sure why he stopped working in the field but he's a high school science teacher. He said he loves teaching so that's what he wanted to do. I've tried to get him to sign up here but with being a school teacher and having two kids he doesn't have much free time.

Don't know if it was posted yet , but the ECM ensembles are a massive **** you. No southern stream and more of the PV hangs back over Maine than the OP.

Yeah I gave up a long time ago on this storm. Could happen but doubt it. The stars need to align now.

Where do you ski in Vermont? I just learned how to ski out west. I still suck tho.

Yeah I gave up a long time ago on this storm. Could happen but doubt it. The stars need to align now.

Where do you ski in Vermont? I just learned how to ski out west. I still suck tho.

I bought a season pass at Sugarbush which is where I ski about 90% of the time but I've been to most of the mountains in the east at one time or another. It's pretty big and has a lot of varied difficult terrain. I've only been out west once which was amazing.. skiing is like a drug for me. Where did you go and are you hooked yet? ski.gif

I bought a season pass at Sugarbush which is where I ski about 90% of the time but I've been to most of the mountains in the east at one time or another. It's pretty big and has a lot of varied difficult terrain. I've only been out west once which was amazing.. skiing is like a drug for me. Where did you go and are you hooked yet?

Hooked? yes.

I went to Park City, Brighton, Alta (ski only, no 'boarders), and SnowBasin, all in Utah.

Park City was awesome and had a ton of terrain. Over 3000 acres and I want to say about 3000 feet vertical. Utah is famous for its snow, and it is deserved.

I forecasted out there as well. The Wasatch Front is extremely challenging, and the Salt Lake is an amazing snow producer. The uplift on the eastern front is about 5000-7000 feet in 10 miles (Salt Lake City goes from 4200 feet to 11,000+ feet along the Wasatch Front).

I bought a season pass at Sugarbush which is where I ski about 90% of the time but I've been to most of the mountains in the east at one time or another. It's pretty big and has a lot of varied difficult terrain. I've only been out west once which was amazing.. skiing is like a drug for me. Where did you go and are you hooked yet? ski.gif

Where did you go out West?

Hooked? yes.

I went to Park City, Brighton, Alta (ski only, no 'boarders), and SnowBasin, all in Utah.

Park City was awesome and had a ton of terrain. Over 3000 acres and I want to say about 3000 feet vertical. Utah is famous for its snow, and it is deserved.

I forecasted out there as well. The Wasatch Front is extremely challenging, and the Salt Lake is an amazing snow producer. The uplift on the eastern front is about 5000-7000 feet in 10 miles (Salt Lake City goes from 4200 feet to 11,000+ feet along the Wasatch Front).

Yeah the vertical, acreage, terrain and snow are all so much better out west. I was in Colorado at Breck, Keystone and A-Basin during a "bad" December and it beat any of my skiing in the east. Occasionally we get a storm out here that reminds me of the west when you are skiing the glades. When you can drop 20" of 30:1 upslope onto a good base.. that is heaven. Skiing is one of the big reasons I'm into weather.. right now I am praying against a cutter before the 27th when my friends and I are renting a house in VT. It will be interesting what happens as the NAO block breaks down and drifts west in Canada.. have any thoughts on that? Don't have to worry about pesky cutters in Utah though

Very jealous angry.gif

Just started reading your blog by the way.. very good stuff I like it a lot. A little over my head but I think I am gleaning some knowledge off it.

It's encouraging to come down in the morning and see 13 pages of new posts in the model thread. When 4 of the pages are discussing the met job market.....not so encouraging. lol

Seriously though, my take away from the 00z runs is one of optimism. Taking the sensible weather depictions out for the time being, the big (and different) changes between the GFS and the EURO suggests that somethings not being grabbed right. It begs the question as to what is going on. Sensibly, perhaps we'll still have a wiff 0r perhaps even no storm at all. But the changes overnight demand that attention be paid at least through the 12z run to see what consistency/adjustments are made after the 'reversals of fortune" from last night. That's my take away.

9.7/1

Archived