joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February looks to continue the same pattern. Lack of upstream blocking on both sides creates for a underwhelming troughs and lack of cold air. Sun angle will begin to bake soon as well. I blame the EPO. Its persistant + phase really messed this winter up considering there were good signs the Atlantic was going to take the season off.

+PNA looks solid on the ensembles, of course depends on how far west, or east, or north it sets up...but lack of Atlantic blocking will make for much of the same in sensible weather for a good chunk of the region seemingly. Have to hope for a miracle...though I think there will be another 10 day period in February where wintry fun can be found. Better make due.

Big tnad outbreak this spring. Warm Gulf of Mexico...plenty of cold air will be streaming down over Saukville all May and June...the air masses will clash over southwest WI, where numerous F5 tornados will form and zoom north eastward, only dying as the plow into the snowcovered areas of SE Wisconsin in mid June :)

I just wonder if this snow pack is going to last all of Feb...sure is melting good today.

I'm really starting to wonder if we'll do any better then -11F. Record wise, we have until mid March... This would be one of the warmer (for low temps) winters in a while.

The number of days below 0F has also been lacking. 12Z GFS is just a blowtorch. I wouldn't doubt we see 50F again in the not too distant future, especially if most the snow gets knocked back.

The last time we had a winter with little snow like this (04-05) was followed by a very hot and dry summer. Not saying it will happen again, but I wouldn't be surprised.

2004-05 was a banner year here. Southeast Michigan saw 60-100" of snow that season, and I believe the excessive snowfall buried the east as well. Most winters see things like that, where some areas do well and others dont, but the last 2 have not. Last winter above normal snowfall covered a very large portion of the country, an anomaly as well, but not quite as widespread as this years snow deficits (so far), which run nearly across the board.

2004-05 was a banner year here. Southeast Michigan saw 60-100" of snow that season, and I believe the excessive snowfall buried the east as well. Most winters see things like that, where some areas do well and others dont, but the last 2 have not. Last winter above normal snowfall covered a very large portion of the country, an anomaly as well, but not quite as widespread as this years snow deficits (so far), which run nearly across the board.

Ended up with 85" that year. Kind of was inflated by a late April event that brought 16" in 3 days. Only collected over night. If it was 3 weeks sooner, would have been over 24"

Lol we just had a hot and dry summer cyclone! Central illinois saw next to nothing rain wise for summer 2011. This winter is boring and dull, everything is dead but yet it's still warm outside, bring on spring baby!

Last summer was pretty hot too, but '05 had it beat here locally. We had a very bad drought that year up in this area. Every year/season is different though, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect later in the year.

Last summer was pretty hot too, but '05 had it beat here locally.  We had a very bad drought that year up in this area.  Every year/season is different though, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect later in the year.

Whatever is the opposite of the consensus forecast.

Might as well watch paint dry. The 0z GFS was boring. Looks like a quasi more of the same pattern. Looks like some torching really ramps up. One exception would be around late next week. Something looks like it might go up the coast slamming NY-Bos or roll back into the apps giving the eastern lakes a fighting chance.

Archived