joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the "cold and snow is coming" train is running out of track. I think Feb will be warm with the same swings we've seen in Jan. What I do feel more confindent on is a cold and rainy Spring in the Great lakes and I detest them,and they can last well into May. :(

Or the complete opposite of last year. We are "due" for dry torchy spring. Something along the lines of spring 2010. Yes it was niño year but look at our La niño pattern this year. We shall see.

Might as well watch paint dry. The 0z GFS was boring. Looks like a quasi more of the same pattern. Looks like some torching really ramps up. One exception would be around late next week. Something looks like it might go up the coast slamming NY-Bos or roll back into the apps giving the eastern lakes a fighting chance.

Meanwhile the 6z GFS is wintry with a few snowstorms and quite a bit of cold air. Whatever train you are riding (the "pattern just HAS to change" one, or the "the consistency of this crappy pattern weve had all winter is not changing"), one things for sure...the longrange models will throw everything at you.

Well it looks like we may just have a weekend with some periods of light snow. I'll take whatever we can get. I remember that dreadful winter of 82-83 so far this winter is not that bad (heck we didn't have snow to play in until later March that year).

This could be the 3rd weekend in a row that may be snowy/wintry (though probably not as wintry as the last 2). Last weekend we totaled 3.3" of snow Thurs-Sat and our coldest air of the winter, the weekend before we totaled 4.2" of snow on Fri-Sat. I guess if we are going to be in such a pathetic pattern, the weekend is the best time to get our flashes of winter weather!

This could be the 3rd weekend in a row that may be snowy/wintry (though probably not as wintry as the last 2). Last weekend we totaled 3.3" of snow Thurs-Sat and our coldest air of the winter, the weekend before we totaled 4.2" of snow on Fri-Sat. I guess if we are going to be in such a pathetic pattern, the weekend is the best time to get our flashes of winter weather!

In a winter like this you take what you can get! :)

+PNA/-EPO pattern means nice cold (maybe "colder" is more apposite term? PV locked up north of 60 so it doesn't really look that cold) dry troughiness over the lakes with the EC possibily cashing in on a stormier pattern. FML.

I hear suicide is painless, and it brings on many changes.

:yikes:

All is left to do is move on from this winter, Mike. Think good thoughts for the next one I guess.

+PNA/-EPO pattern means nice cold (maybe "colder" is more apposite term? PV locked up north of 60 so it doesn't really look that cold) dry troughiness over the lakes with the EC possibily cashing in on a stormier pattern. FML.

I hear suicide is painless, and it brings on many changes.

The NAO looks to remain nuetral to positive. I don't think dry troughiness over the GLs is a lock with only the EC cashing in. HM commented that the models are likely going to struggle. If you said a strong -NAO with a +PNA then I would agree with the dry troughiness the lakes.

I still think we will see some good chances coming up.

The 6Z GFS (no I don't trust it) showed nice system around hour 168 and it is tracking similar to what we have been seeing.

The NAO looks to remain nuetral to positive. I don't think dry troughiness over the GLs is a lock with only the EC cashing in. HM commented that the models are likely going to struggle. If you said a strong -NAO with a +PNA then I would agree with the dry troughiness the lakes.

I still think we will see some good chances coming up.

The 6Z GFS (no I don't trust it) showed nice system around hour 168 and it is tracking similar to what we have been seeing.

If the PNA ridge axis is located as far east as depicted here:

test8.gif

you're not going to need a substantially negative NAO or west based NAO to keep the storm track more EC oriented. Time will tell regarding the teleconnectors, but one thing's for certain: I'll get screwed over nicely one way or another.

If the PNA ridge axis is located as far east as depicted here:

you're not going to need a substantially negative NAO or west based NAO to keep the storm track more EC oriented. Time will tell regarding the teleconnectors, but one thing's for certain: I'll get screwed over nicely one way or another.

My comment includes the fact that I believe the models are struggling with this pattern. HM points out they maybe struggling even more so up coming. This winter I have seen them have agreement like this in the 7-10 day range only to have it be significantly different as we got closer and closer. The models (including the EURO) have have shown extended torches of 50F+ IMBY but as we approached they were diminished.

I know you are down and I am not going to kick yah. I think we have better times ahead even for you. I don't trust the models right now (they did horrid with yesterdays/last nights storm).

No I don't expect a miracle pattern for us. I just believe it is going to improve.

Or the complete opposite of last year. We are "due" for dry torchy spring. Something along the lines of spring 2010. Yes it was niño year but look at our La niño pattern this year. We shall see.

Spring 2010 featured a rapidly developing strong La Nina, from a strong El Nino in the previous year.

That pretty much explains why Spring of 2010 (and the Summer) were consistently very warm.

Before anyone gets too hung up on the models i suggest reading this post from HM..

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1317228

Just a word of warning...for all of you who don't remember...last year at this time when the AAM state was changing etc. it lead to a significant model forecast degradation during that period (late Jan-early Feb). I suspect this is likely again, so expect, at the very least, wild shifts in timing in the day 2-5 period.

ILN

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

WHAT WILL HAVE TO BE EXAMINED MORE CLOSELY IN THE COMING DAYS IS HOW

THE PATTERN EVOLVES BEHIND THE WEDNESDAY SYSTEM. ANOTHER SHORTWAVE

WILL DEVELOP AND MOVE EAST ACROSS THE PLAINS AT SOME POINT ON

THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH A SURFACE LOW DEVELOPING IN THE

SOUTH AND MOVING INTO THE MID ATLANTIC. BEYOND THAT...THE BASE OF

THE UPPER TROUGH WILL DROP INTO THE OHIO VALLEY...ALSO BRINGING

PRECIPITATION TO THE REGION. OBVIOUSLY...GETTING TOO SPECIFIC ON

THESE DISTURBANCES IS NOT PRUDENT GIVEN THE WIDE SPREAD IN TIMING

AND PLACEMENT...AND THE FACT THAT THE EVENTUAL EVOLUTION COULD END

UP LOOKING QUITE A BIT DIFFERENT. REGARDLESS OF THE DETAILS...IT CAN

BE SAID THAT THE SECOND HALF OF NEXT WEEK LOOKS MORE ACTIVE AND COLD

THAN THE FIRST HALF.

The GFS and Euro have been advertising a trough for the past several days... Right now the GFS trough is around 216 hours. The closer we get to the event the more I will buy into the model.

I have a good feeling about it this time, at this point as long as I don't get my weekly wendsday deluge of rainfall I will be happy

Archived