northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a normal winter... Isnt 162 hours out cold dumps usually pretty spot on?

I don't remember forecasts really screwing up temps... precip hell ya... but arctic temps?

This is the closest we have gotten to a real arctic surge this winter. I'm looking at high temps in single digits in maybe below in northern Wisconsin.

With the AO taking a dive it would slow the transient progression of these arctic blasts. But it can also wok against you.

I really want to figure out which teleconection controls the game this winter. It should be noted that the pacific isn't yet sold on change...kinda.

in Dec/JAN the MJO/+AO/+NAO combination was the driving force.

for the first half Feb it appears the MJO/+PNA...and the NAO/EPO will determine how things work out.

Gino Izzi's take on the long range

BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK MEDIUM RANGE MODELS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE LEAVING ONE TO WONDER IF THE MODELS ARE EVEN FORECASTING FOR THE SAME PLANET LET ALONE SAME HEMISPHERE! THE 12Z ECMWF HAS COME IN WITH A MASSIVE ARCTIC INTRUSION WITH A DEEP POLAR VORTEX MOVING SOUTH INTO THE GREAT LAKES...BUT THIS IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT FROM ITS PREVIOUS RUN WHICH HAD 500MB HEIGHTS OVER 400M HIGHER. THE 12Z GFS ENSMEBLLES HAVE AN UNUSUALLY LARGE SPREAD OVER THE EASTERN CONUS AS WELL WITH H5 HEIGHT STANDARD DEVIATION OVER 100M OVER THE GREAT LAKES. ESSENTIALLY...ONE WOULD HAVE ABOUT AS MUCH SKILL IN FORECASTING THE WEATHER LATE NEXT WEEK FLIPPING A COIN OR RIPPING A GROUNDHOG OUT OF THE GROUND AND WAITING TO SEE IF HE SEES HIS SHADOW AS YOU WOULD USING NUMERICAL GUIDANCE. SO STAY TUNED...

.ONE WOULD HAVE ABOUT AS MUCH SKILL IN FORECASTING THE WEATHER LATE NEXT WEEK FLIPPING A COIN OR RIPPING A GROUNDHOG OUT OF THE GROUND AND WAITING TO SEE IF HE SEES HIS SHADOW AS YOU WOULD USING NUMERICAL GUIDANCE. SO STAY TUNED...

lmao :lmao:

So I guess the Euro saw its shadow?

The idea of a colder pattern (which of course would be moderated without snowcover) has some legs. I think the question, as we have seen all winter, is whether it is transient or locks in. Sorta have to be skeptical of anything sustained given how this winter has gone.

If I had a quarter for every time I've read this this winter, I could buy bowme a boat load of brats and have enough left over for Super Bowl tickets...

REMAINED CONSERVATIVE AT THIS POINT AS COLDEST AIR LOOKS TO

ARRIVE JUST BEYOND DAY 7 AND FURTHER REFINEMENT IN TIMING EXPECTED

ESPECIALLY IN LIGHT OF RECENT MODEL INCONSISTENCIES.

It LOOKS like it may come to fruition this time. However, I'm beginning to feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the ball for me to kick.

Its a nice late winter saturday morning. The sun is starting to break out. Going to go for a morning stroll through the city park then hitting the farmers market. It appears things have dried out enough to manage to avoid copious amounts of mud. Projected High in the mid 40s today gives full permission to venture outside without a winter coat.

Saw the 0z suit lasst night. Im torn on wether its was full of **** (like its normally been) or finaly latching onto a solution of a fast/short or long duration winter pattern.

Archived