• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 2012 General Discussion

Nic

OMG the sun is out...how long will it last?

Neither the EURO or the GFS (0z/6z) look all that cold for here. More like near normal. Feb norms are still very cold in these parts.

The lakes exploded Thu-Fri.... Its all I give a crap about.

Looks like mid teens for highes.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the lack of any snow cover across the Plains, I pretty much expect that cold shot to be quite modified.

It could be good for the lake effect snow belts though. That "when all else fails..." saying comes to mind, because the folks in the lake effect snow belts will likely get a good dumping regardless if significance synoptically precedes the cold shot.

12z is a torch after a very quick shot of cold air (single digits here...big whoopee)... Put a fork in Feb folks.

Beautiful day in gorgeous la crosse.. Go take a vintage radio flyer sled down one of the glacier encrusted snowed hills - just don't take your misery of winter out on a tree head first. Take the boy ice fishing. Slobo's are hitting down by stoddard.

arx_skycam_1.jpg

I'm riding pimps ball state proffesor hard. Big ending to winter for some. will it be the west, east, or LAF side of the sub-forum who cashes in on a big storm though?

Fork in it boys... Trust me :bag:

Bow-

They are killing the perch around here this year. Its weird, we never caught many perch in the past and all of a sudden in the last 2 or 3 years, it seems like the perch have just taken over. We are using "tip downs". One of the guys had a 15 inch perch...looked more like a walleye. Tons of guys out fishing. Its insane this year around here. Must be the economy (no one has a job) or something. I've never seen so many guys out. Not much for panfish, but you are right...Stoddard is a great place to go if you come this way. I know a lot of guys who head down there for panfish.

Sledding? On what? The rocks! My kid's sledding trip got cancelled. I don't see them rescheduling. Maybe we'll get a whopper in late Feb or mid March, but the clock is ticking. Sitting at around 17 inches for the year...Still can end below 20...probably more like 30...snow in April is pretty common most years.

Seattle and Portland are likely the only areas in the country that's cloudier than us (year round).

Lake clouds really suck if you ask me.

The models are deemed useless until further notice. The only thing that makes sense right now is seasonal trends. Thus whatever the models show for a cold shot..you need to subtract 2-4 days of duration. Transient nature might continue. This leads me to another question. What teleconection is responsible for the ultra progressive transient pattern. The AO seems logically but does it have to do with the NAO also?

My guess is a continuation of what we have been seeing.

Lake clouds really suck if you ask me.

The models are deemed useless until further notice. The only thing that makes sense right now is seasonal trends. Thus whatever the models show for a cold shot..you need to subtract 2-4 days of duration. Transient nature might continue. This leads me to another question. What teleconection is responsible for the ultra progressive transient pattern. The AO seems logically but does it have to do with the NAO also?

My guess is a continuation of what we have been seeing.

Lake clouds suck.... Lake effect snow owns.

Seattle and Portland are likely the only areas in the country that's cloudier than us (year round).

Yeah they have on average 200-225 cloudy days a year. Even more clouds on the actual Pacific coast. Milwaukee and Chicago are about 180 respectively.

Last year we didn't do to bad for clouds, about 190 cloudy days here.

If the clouds are not 'productive' then they get boring!

High 39° today, wind off the lake kept the temperature rise in check.

Archived