• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
DT, Henry M, Steve D, JB Talk

TheTrials

JB has been horrific this winter. Granted it's been an odd pattern, but just like his other warm winter fails, he keeps calling for it to come and it just never shows up...

I agree. It's been a catastrophic first winter for weatherbell. This is the problem with having a "for profit" weather service. People generally don't subscribe or pay if there is boring winter, so they have to hype up possibilities ( hold a proverbial carrot infront of people) in order to get subscribers. JB's reputation will surely take a hit over this. There was a time when he used to be a lot more objective.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't listen to neither of those stations.....101.9 101.5 101.1....best weather....jeff smith on ch 7 is good also...but I don't watch alot of tv mets. No use to...

I dont even listen to radio anymore-XM in the car these days...radio in general is in trouble-the younger generation does not really listen....too many other options out there.

I agree. It's been a catastrophic first winter for weatherbell. This is the problem with having a "for profit" weather service. People generally don't subscribe or pay if there is boring winter, so they have to hype up possibilities ( hold a proverbial carrot infront of people) in order to get subscribers. JB's reputation will surely take a hit over this. There was a time when he used to be a lot more objective.

and that's what he's done--this week alone he hyped up 2 little events of 1-2 inches for a couple of places (1st one Philly and 2nd one upstate PA and NY) both of which he busted horribly on...I mean, one to two inches with a warm airmass and temps in the 40's? Come on. Even on this event, he still has 3-6 inches for NYC and the very southern part of New England...we're within 48 hours and no model is showing north of the M-D line...come on already

and that's what he's done--this week alone he hyped up 2 little events of 1-2 inches for a couple of places (1st one Philly and 2nd one upstate PA and NY) both of which he busted horribly on...I mean, one to two inches with a warm airmass and temps in the 40's? Come on. Even on this event, he still has 3-6 inches for NYC and the very southern part of New England...we're within 48 hours and no model is showing north of the M-D line...come on already

Let us define hype. If he call for a snowfall of x inches, that to me is a forecast. Weenies ears hears things differently than the public(what they hear is passion, not hype). He will be wrong sometimes and right sometimes. He built a reputation on something, and I am sure that it was on his abilities and forecasts that were right on the money.

Traditionally, it is the private sector that gets the talent(although not in all cases). That is the system we have here, in all fields. There is a lot of talent out there, some we know(JB) and some we don't.

Correct me if I am wrong, last year when the models backed off Boxing Day, he didn't. What would have been your call?

Let us define hype. If he call for a snowfall of x inches, that to me is a forecast. Weenies ears hears things differently than the public(what they hear is passion, not hype). He will be wrong sometimes and right sometimes. He built a reputation on something, and I am sure that it was on his abilities and forecasts that were right on the money.

Traditionally, it is the private sector that gets the talent(although not in all cases). That is the system we have here, in all fields. There is a lot of talent out there, some we know(JB) and some we don't.

Correct me if I am wrong, last year when the models backed off Boxing Day, he didn't. What would have been your call?

JB nailed boxing day without a doubt...different winter-JB does well in cold winters. He does poorly in warm winters...he still busted on the 2 calls I noted above--call it hype or call it a forecast, he busted.

He called for a "fab feb" this month and instead, the historic warmth has continued unabated. His individual storm calls for the most part have busted this year too--last weekend he went 2-4 in NYC and not nothing and he's going 3-6 in NYC this weekend. Anyone see us shoveling out from 3-6 this weekend?

Yeah it's like the morning or evening news shows. It's going to take a long time to make any headway against 2 NY institutions.

It's sad we also had to lose our only rock station left in NY (that plays new music anyway), but thats for another chatboard :-)

unfortunately they having a hard time competing with 880am and 1010 wins. Ratings are really low per a recent newspaper article.

My father and I were just talking how the news and weather on that station is excellent....nice job...u do a great job

Whoa-I didn't even know people were actually listening to the station....let alone me!

Our ratings are not too great because people are stubborn and don't want to switch from the AM to FM.....but AM stations are dying. Look at Philly with sports on the FM(WIP moving to 94.1), and Washington DC just launched an new news outlet about a month ago to compete with WTOP. News to FM seems like the next step to go as WINS and WCBS are trying to bid on 94.7 in NYC and 92.3 may be going to news soon as well. We launched a TV campaign and we'll see how maybe people tune in. We have been gaining some cume from WCBS listeners at least.

Our two huge assets we have are traffic and weather.

Whoa-I didn't even know people were actually listening to the station....let alone me!

Our ratings are not too great because people are stubborn and don't want to switch from the AM to FM.....but AM stations are dying. Look at Philly with sports on the FM(WIP moving to 94.1), and Washington DC just launched an new news outlet about a month ago to compete with WTOP. News to FM seems like the next step to go as WINS and WCBS are trying to bid on 94.7 in NYC and 92.3 may be going to news soon as well. We launched a TV campaign and we'll see how maybe people tune in. We have been gaining some cume from WCBS listeners at least.

you just have to hope Merlin sticks with the format. I see they canned the PD too...

sports on AM vs FM is a different story...not too many towns have seen their news stations move to FM--look at Boston, Philly etc--all still have high rating AM news stations that have been around for eons--old habits die hard.

AM also reaches out a lot farther. I used to faintly get in yankee games on 770 out in State College.

you just have to hope Merlin sticks with the format. I see they canned the PD too...

sports on AM vs FM is a different story...not too many towns have seen their news stations move to FM--look at Boston, Philly etc--all still have high rating AM news stations that have been around for eons--old habits die hard.

Yeah it's like the morning or evening news shows. It's going to take a long time to make any headway against 2 NY institutions.

It's sad we also had to lose our only rock station left in NY (that plays new music anyway), but thats for another chatboard :-)

I liked that station (101.9) and was pissed when they made it another radio news station. Why should there be news on FM? AM has 880 and 1010 WINS as others have said.

Well from where I'm at in Monmouth County, I can barely get 1010 wins, yet 880 comes in crystal clear as does 101.9, so unless 1010 improves their signal or goes to FM, they may eventually die off, despite being around for ever. You have a larger market coverage with FM or a better AM signal like 880. Same thing occurs where I grew up down in South Jersey, most stations have static and can barely pick up some signals in Philly. So satellite and FM are the way to go. HD radio has potential too, but they need to work on their signal issues too. I have a HD radio in one of my cars and most times the HD signal doesn't even come in due to my location, unless I get closer to either NYC or Philly. But speaking of Philly sports radio, they now have BOTH of their stations on FM now.

I heard NJ 101.5 may buy 94.7 kind of makes sense, because it's a NJ based signal and doesn't get out too far in LI or CT.

It's all about profitability. I always hated big market radio stations. They have such tight playlists and it's so competitive. The best stations are always in smaller markets. WDHA has been around forever and the old WHTG 106.3 Monmouth county station was the best. I was able to get both in in Union county but they don't really reach the city.

I liked that station (101.9) and was pissed when they made it another radio news station. Why should there be news on FM? AM has 880 and 1010 WINS as others have said.

JB

The midday run of the NAM, if correct at 500, would force the storm to where I say it will go. Because of the model weaknesses ( its a regional model) it is not far enough north with its surface storm, which is over Hatteras anyway. If you had that 500 mb pattern on the GFS then the gfs would be further north.

It's all about profitability. I always hated big market radio stations. They have such tight playlists and it's so competitive. The best stations are always in smaller markets. WDHA has been around forever and the old WHTG 106.3 Monmouth county station was the best. I was able to get both in in Union county but they don't really reach the city.

Sad,but true. Whenever I travel and get out of the big markets, I hear a lot more "Oh, wow" songs on small market stations. They have less money, but no fear of the "suits" saying not to play that song, etc.

Sad,but true. Whenever I travel and get out of the big markets, I hear a lot more "Oh, wow" songs on small market stations. They have less money, but no fear of the "suits" saying not to play that song, etc.

that's why I left for Pandora and XM. Was so sick of hearing the same ol 200 predictable songs over and over and over....

Archived