• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
DT, Henry M, Steve D, JB Talk

TheTrials

Craig Allen is a very good meteorologist, He is forecasting is very strong 1 to 3 days out. I listen to him on New Radio 880, better than most of NY TV-weather personnel. For TV weather Nick Gregory is the best.

Nick is good but the ABC crew of Lee Goldberg and Jeff Smith are the best, IMO.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I don't listen to weather reports much these days, but when I am in the car and need instant

information I always turn on Craig Allen when he is forecasting.

I have Craig giving his forecast on CBS88 in March 1984 on one of my videos...He was dead on with accumulations for that storm...He also forecasted 4" or more for February 83 and was ribbed by the anchor at the time...He's been around 30 years...Alan Kasper was great back when he was doing NY TV in the 70's...Nick Gregory is in my top five...

My list...

Tex Antoine...

Gordon Barns...

Alan Kasper...

Craig Allen...

Nick Gregory...

Bob Haris...

Bill Korbell...

I agree on your list, the only one I would remove is Gordon Barns. I met he once at Lyndon State College and he was a real creap. Tex Antoine go me interested in the weather when I was a kid, he was great.

I never met any of them but back in the mid 1990's I made a weather almanac and sent a copy to Craig...He called my house and told my wife who answered the phone to thank me for sending it to him...I thought it was classy...Gordon was one of the first real mets doing TV back then...

in another forum someone notes that NYC usually doesnt have a good storm with a storm crashing into the west coast...fair and good point that I havent seen talked abiut much here

There is no doubt in my mind that the evening of the Blizzard of '83....a huge storm system was crashing into the West Coast...

A conservative met for the most part, never remembered him going out on a limb with his forecasts, he is good but compared to an Alan Kasper, Joel Myers, or Joe D 'lLeo, cut below.

but that's why he's good.,,, he's conservative. being conservative can be annoying, but it generally adds credibility.

i remember in round II. of the jan 26 storm last year, he nailed it.... and he was calling for more snow than anyone else.

alan kasper is very good too. i hear him daily. the problem with kasper is i just dont think he cares anymore. he sounds bored to death, even when a blizzard is coming.

but that's why he's good.,,, he's conservative. being conservative can be annoying, but it generally adds credibility.

i remember in round II. of the jan 26 storm last year, he nailed it.... and he was calling for more snow than anyone else.

alan kasper is very good too. i hear him daily. the problem with kasper is i just dont think he cares anymore. he sounds bored to death, even when a blizzard is coming.

Fyi Gordon Barnes knew Kaspers family and gave him a leg up in the business. Met trivia

http://www.meteo.psu...1983/us0210.php

There was one, but it was way out to the NW headed for Canada and was amplifying the ridge ahead of it

no confluence supressing heights, so they are allowed to point straight up the coast

021115.png

i'd but the chances at <5% of NYC getting 1" or more. And that's based off the chance that the models are completely off because as is we aren't getting anything

And as for JB's relentless rant that February and March would be cold and snowy....through February 16 at Central Park -- 15 out of 16 days have been above normal, Feb so far is +5.2, and the short and mid range looks like more of the same. Another epic fail for JB. As for March, NOAA CPC outook issued yesterday calls for...well, take a wlld guess.

And as for JB's relentless rant that February and March would be cold and snowy....through February 16 at Central Park -- 15 out of 16 days have been above normal, Feb so far is +5.2, and the short and mid range looks like more of the same. Another epic fail for JB. As for March, NOAA CPC outook issued yesterday calls for...well, take a wlld guess.

This winter has basically matched 1999-2000 minus the January cool down being tempered vs. 2000. March 2000 was an epic blowtorch so I see no reason to deviate from that now. I am almost in disbelief that my forecast of 1.3 inches for NYC in February is probably going to bust on the high side. Its alright though, we're gonna pay for this next winter and the majority of the next 20-30 of them too you can count on that.

This winter has basically matched 1999-2000 minus the January cool down being tempered vs. 2000. March 2000 was an epic blowtorch so I see no reason to deviate from that now. I am almost in disbelief that my forecast of 1.3 inches for NYC in February is probably going to bust on the high side. Its alright though, we're gonna pay for this next winter and the majority of the next 20-30 of them too you can count on that.

Wait wut? What are we going to be paying for the next 20-30 winters?

That weather guy in the morning on FM News 101.9 is pretty good as well. He was downplaying the storm and joking around with it all week. He said "keep it south towards DT land".

Congrats on the new job!!! I had a feeling 'SD' was 'Scott Derek, the weather geek' on 101.9!!! ha ha ha I flip back and forth in the morning from you and Craig Allen on 880. You kind of sound like Alan Kaspar actually. Great attitude.

Congrats on the new job!!! I had a feeling 'SD' was 'Scott Derek, the weather geek' on 101.9!!! ha ha ha I flip back and forth in the morning from you and Craig Allen on 880. You kind of sound like Alan Kaspar actually. Great attitude.

Haha-thanks! Craig and I usually have the same thoughts and ideas(for example this weekend's "storm"); we were usually wiithin a degree or two of each other as well. I haven't listened to Alan in a while since I've been up here(when I go home on the weekends he isn't on-air).

JB has been horrific this winter. Granted it's been an odd pattern, but just like his other warm winter fails, he keeps calling for it to come and it just never shows up...

That weather guy in the morning on FM News 101.9 is pretty good as well. He was downplaying the storm and joking around with it all week. He said "keep it south towards DT land".

My father and I were just talking how the news and weather on that station is excellent....nice job...u do a great job

unfortunately they having a hard time competing with 880am and 1010 wins. Ratings are really low per a recent newspaper article.

Not to get off on a tangent, but it seems like in NYC, nobody really needs/wants news on FM. You've got two news stations on AM, one of which (880) has a killer signal. That, coupled with the fact that there really was no need to ever change your news outlet, has basically rendered 101.9 irrelevant.

unfortunately they having a hard time competing with 880am and 1010 wins. Ratings are really low per a recent newspaper article.

I don't listen to neither of those stations.....101.9 101.5 101.1....best weather....jeff smith on ch 7 is good also...but I don't watch alot of tv mets. No use to...

Archived