joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Potential Severe Weather

Hoosier

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last night i thought about heading down to E. Arkansas...but decided not to for several reasons...one of the big reasons being most(if not all) of the action will be after dark, and i didn't feel like chasing a fast moving QLCS across KY/TN/MS at night.

now i'm thinking about possibly heading down into IN or farther south in IL for some QLCS action...

last night i thought about heading down to E. Arkansas...but decided not to for several reasons...one of the big reasons being most(if not all) of the action will be after dark, and i didn't feel like chasing a fast moving QLCS across KY/TN/MS at night.

now i'm thinking about possibly heading down into IN or farther south in IL for some QLCS action...

I'd say save your money for better days for real setups.

With this occuring with temps in the uppers 30s to mid 40s in my location does that mean pretty much all thundestorms will have hail in them?

Freezing levels are on the low side but even if the inversion doesn't mix out, the hail will be falling through some fairly warm temps just above the surface. This setup could be favorable for small hail at least.

Freezing levels are on the low side but even if the inversion doesn't mix out, the hail will be falling through some fairly warm temps just above the surface. This setup could be favorable for small hail at least.

Should be fairly interesting to see what happens, rare to see thunderstorms with cool surface temps.

Should be fairly interesting to see what happens, rare to see thunderstorms with cool surface temps.

The last couple ice storms we've had here have featured T-storms. It's weird being under a severe T-storm warning and it's only like 28 degrees outside, heh.

I'd say save your money for better days for real setups.

OTOH, I think I see his rationale...it's January and you might as well take a chance. Very difficult to chase this type of system though.

that is true.

it's just a thought at this point though. there are several negatives and positives. we'll see...

that is true.

it's just a thought at this point though. there are several negatives and positives. we'll see...

Wouldn't have to drive too far to possibly get impacted by a squall line with some very strong wind potential. Usually not what we chase for, but it would be a nice tidbit in January. Especially a few days after a nice snow event.

Where is the main discussion for this event going to be? Seems like the SE thread has more weenies then real discussion. Only 3 total pages.

That's not exactly a good assumption to make.

Areas south of the TN/KY and AR/MO border should be discussed in the SE forum.

Archived