• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Potential Severe Weather

Hoosier

You would need some serious convective parameters. I think for a true supercell to form it would take much warmer low level temps to initiate an epic updraft. I'm not an expert but I think it would be tuff.

Oh, I imagine it would be an absolutely insane, borderline divinely inspired, set up. I would imagine something along the lines of a late-season tropical storm slamming into an early-season arctic air mass or at least an abnormally moist gulf connection hooking into a piece of the polar vortex. Regardless, it would be a bad day for everyone in line, but something to behold from a meterological standpoint (as most extreme weather event are).

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAM has better instability farther north. Now has a tongue of a few hundred J/kg MUCAPE into the south side of Chicago.

Hoosier...I think that squall line is going to go pretty far north. This will be one of those lines that reaches from the southern states all the way into Southern Michigan potentially....

Hoosier...I think that squall line is going to go pretty far north. This will be one of those lines that reaches from the southern states all the way into Southern Michigan potentially....

Looks that way given the forcing along the front. Of course the intensity becomes more of a question the farther north you go. Lots to consider. What is the elevated instability like farther north? What will the boundary layer be like in areas that currently have significant snowcover? How much of a low level inversion might there be to reduce the chances of damaging gusts making it to the surface? Will be curious to see how SPC plays this.

Judging by the 18z NAM run it appears that wind damage may be possible into Southwestern Ontario/Western New York even without convetive properties along the cold front, the line of rain may be able to bring down the strong 60-70kt winds at 3000-5000ft causing some damaging wind gusts along the front, could be like what happened on tueday for my area/Western New York. Now doubt a signifcant QCLS wind threat for tomorrow night/monday morning in the Ohio valley toward the mid south.

Now looking, 0Z Nam shows much of the same, although the NAM in general could be a touch fast.

If we do get damaging wind potential in Southern Ontario on Monday, I bet Environment Canada will issue a wind warning for a couple of hours rather than severe thunderstorm warning, we will see though.

post-6756-0-99271200-1327208220.gif

post-6756-0-54148900-1327208231.gif

just checking over a few soundings, i would fully agree with that.

i'd go from around the EVV/SDF areas and on south.

Agree, There could be a very significant damaging wind outbreak for the Middle MS Valley and into TN/KY.

BTW with respect to the snow pack, you have all day tomorrow before the line arrive and looking at the LLJ/moisture transport that is progged to move into the region the snow pack will melt very quickly.

Was just thinking that. To say there is uncertainty in these parts and northward is an understatement.

These winter events always overperform and they always end up producing farther North than expected. I'll go out on a limb and say I wouldn't be surprised to see severe storms all the way into Northern Indiana and Northwestern Ohio. Should be a pretty significant QLCS stretching from Northern Indiana through AL/MS.

I can't think of recent events to try and get an analogue for what effects, if any, snow pack may have on how mesoscale features play out tomorrow night.

January 7th 2008 parts of Michigan had snow on the ground that melted the day of the event. Just as a point of reference, that being said I don't see is hitting 60 tomorrow...

Any thoughts on the northern extent of the severe potential?

i wouldn't at all be surprised to see it extend up to around the MI border area.

decent amounts of mlcape, good forcing...and winds of 50kts at 950mb and 70kts at 900mb(GFS).

the only two concerns i would have would be...how long and how far north will the QLCS be sustained and low level inversion issues.

January 7th 2008 parts of Michigan had snow on the ground that melted the day of the event. Just as a point of reference, that being said I don't see is hitting 60 tomorrow...

Yeah, us further south I'm betting will lose the bulk of the snowpack before nightfall. I'd be curious how the snow would effect storms directly on top of it. Guess it would depend on how the warm LLJ is mixing down to combat

i wouldn't at all be surprised to see it extend up to around the MI border area.

decent amounts of mlcape, good forcing...and winds of 50kts at 950mb and 70kts at 900mb(GFS).

the only two concerns i would have would be...how long and how far north will the QCLS be sustained and low level inversion issues.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree 100%.

Here are snow depths as of 12z Saturday. We can assume that not much was lost today and not much will be lost through Sunday morning. After that we will see melting accelerate from south to north but seems likely that some of this will still be in tact through tomorrow evening.

post-14-0-90386100-1327211821.gif

Archived