12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snow potential Thursday night and Saturday 1/19 to 1/21

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T...you should have listened to NOAA radio in the 70's out of Rockefeller Center...other than Sussex, Warren, Morris, (which were under NWS NYC authority back then)...W Passaic, N Westchester and Rockland Counties...they considered everyone else "the coast"...<Orange and Putnam were not in the CWA then>

Which CWA was Orange in back then?

I was about to make this long a** post about the coastal plain but my god-d*mn wife, kids and now new puppy are doing their best to distract me. :jerry: In any event, yeah this map shows where the typical battle ground is between warm/rain and cold/snow during our storms. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out though.

nacplocation_small.gif

I was about to make this long a** post about the coastal plain but my god-d*mn wife, kids and now new puppy are doing their best to distract me. :jerry: In any event, yeah this map shows where the typical battle ground is between warm/rain and cold/snow during our storms. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out though.

nacplocation_small.gif

That should extend into SE New England as well. In "typical" winters and snow/rain events, often Boston gets shafted as well.

In fairness...I can never rememeber "driving down" say the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway when Plainview just eeked out a snowstorm to see if say Massapequa got mostly rain...so my memory...plus a few other things...might be slightly skewed. Also, as a person afflicted by cynicism (and this hobby played no small role in cultivating that characteristic) I tend to recall the near misses more than the near hits...though Carlin would likely argue there is no difference between the two...

I can. After the big storm at the end of March 1984, I drove with my girlfriend from her parent's house in Massapequa where there was no snow on the ground up to north Syosset (near 25A) to show her the 8 - 10" that was on the ground there. There were other times, but that was one heck of a trip up 135.

Despite that rampant weenieism, we eventually married :)

We have some decent cold air in place for this storm....perhaps we can pull... off a febuary 08

I was talking about this storm before to some people. The models kept on converging both waves. In the end, both of the waves never merged and the area received 7-9 inches of snow. 1-3 inches was only forecasted.

Here's Feb 22,2008

022221.png

...this was where the surface low went eastward south of Long Island...reached Montauk...and then started heading back west through Long Island Sound towards the Westchester coast...the winds on LI were now westerly with the low to the north and cold enought for snow...but in southern CT. with the low moving through the Sound...the winds remained easterly and warm enough for rain...especially east of say Bridgeport.

I remember not flipping to snow here until the winds went SSW after the low occluded and moved west of here. That was a wild event. We rained for a day and then managed a foot of snow on mostly southerly winds. Unique!

Nice snowstorm for Boston on the 00Z GGEM, rain snow line sets up in North Central PA and extreme Northern New Jersey, with the costal plain getting rain except for the east facing shores of New England. Verbatim, it shows a light rain/snow mix transitioning very quickly to rain in NYC.

Archived