Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow potential Thursday night and Saturday 1/19 to 1/21

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday Night: Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 24. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming east. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Saturday: Snow, mainly before 1pm. High near 37. East wind 8 to 15 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible

Why is my forecasted snow 1 inch more than the forecast area 5 miles west of me, elevation cant make that much of a difference Mine :298ft Theirs: 69ft

Don't forget, SWFE are notorious for coming north last second. The reason why this may not come north as much or none at all, is because the s/w is so weak and we have some confluence to our north. The srly trends may be right and the NAM may have a burp run, but it's not a total shock if it happens.

BTW, euro ensembles were just a tiny bit north of the op, but overall seemed very similar.

Another reason this may not come north is the digging system into the Pac NW and West Coast, SWFEs in which there is a digging semi-progressive upper trough in the Western U.S. have a tendency to be the ones that work well for areas into NYC/NJ. A few past events with this setup would be 1/6/89, 2/8/94, 12/19/08 and 2/22/08. Ones in which the upper low or trough is off the West Coast or there is ridging in the West are the ones that always seem to go north.

Archived