bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Snow potential Thursday night and Saturday 1/19 to 1/21

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is north by a good bit through 33 hours. It has the surface low driving farther north again towards Ohio like some of the older model runs.

Just looking at the 500mb charts, the 18z has a slightly better defined s/w near Iowa at 30hrs with a pocket of vocticity in that vicinity as opposed to down in Kansas at 12z. So that matches the marginally stronger low center and further north warm push.

Just looking at the 500mb charts, the 18z has a slightly better defined s/w near Iowa at 30hrs with a pocket of vocticity in that vicinity as opposed to down in Kansas at 12z. So that matches the marginally stronger low center and further north warm push.

For a one run change, the mid level warm push is dramatically stronger. Not sure what to make of the NAM disagreeing with almost every global model run at this point.

By hr 39 the NAM has the surface low 2-3 mb deeper and 100 miles ENE of 12z. It's also ~5mb deeper than the GFS. It has a much more well defined surface system than other guidance. Despite the increased strength and mid-level warmth, the surface looks just as cold as 12z through the early periods.

This run of the NAM looks much snowier to me than recent runs and other guidance. It doesn't shear out the already weak s/w nearly as much as other guidance. But it still manages to stay cold at the surface and marginally cold enough in the mid-levels for mostly snow. I like this run except if I'm along the NJ or ELI coasts.

Archived