Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Snow potential Thursday night and Saturday 1/19 to 1/21

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude the plot is snow regardless of the thickneses. Warmest level is surface a smidge above 0 and there is room to wet bulb.

It's mid January it snows even with your thickness with a sounding like that.

I agree with Trials on this one... The critical thickness in that lower layer, while somewhat borderline-ish, still leans towards likely frozen precip.

If you have followed my posts, I always mention to look at the actual skew-t sounding and not those raw text outputs. Im agreeing with you man!

soundings are really the best way in determining precip type with thicknesses acting as a good rough guideline. Soundings are also a great way at looking at the strength of low-mid-level warm advection by analyzing the strength of the veering pattern of wind with height. I prefer this method as opposed to the more traditional method of looking at where height contours cross isotherms. Soundings are also good in determining saturation in the snow growth layer so long as you also take into account that there is good omega happening within that region as well.

same sh-t different year...my post got deleted...unreal

It won't be the same this year because I have no tolerance for it. You're clogging up the threads with horse sh*t as usual. If you have a question, ask it in a normal manner. If you disagree, do it professionally. Your tone is condescending and it leads to arguments that we don't need to have. That's the last thing I'll say about it.

I agree with Trials on this one... The critical thickness in that lower layer, while somewhat borderline-ish, still leans towards likely frozen precip.

he said its all snow..I simply pointed him to the bottom left which showed a r/s mix with a slant towards snow. in this winter, id error on the side of caution.

soundings are really the best way in determining precip type with thicknesses acting as a good rough guideline. Soundings are also a great way at looking at the strength of low-mid-level warm advection by analyzing the strength of the veering pattern of wind with height. I prefer this method as opposed to the more traditional method of looking at where height contours cross isotherms. Soundings are also good in determining saturation in the snow growth layer so long as you also take into account that there is good omega happening within that region as well.

all of this plus an !!!

You can see there are differences between the GFS and the GGEM/Euro and other globals when you compare them side by side. The GFS is de-amplified while the GGEM (which we can use here for the sake of comparison) has a much more consolidated surface low back to the west. This is a generally unfavorable shortwave and surface low positioning for our area.

GGEM: http://www.meteo.psu...AST_12z/f78.gif

GFS: http://www.meteo.psu...AST_12z/f78.gif

wunderground maps have 2"-3" for NYC and west and also the north shore of LI has 2" or so.

The ocean facing areas get less then 1".

Northern and western suburbs get 4"+.

Lovely. :axe:

I'll be praying throughout this event or lack-thereof that we avoid the south winds. Even last winter those killed us from time to time when coastal fronts would barely pass over us and wreck the snowcover.

Archived