12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snow potential Thursday night and Saturday 1/19 to 1/21

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you reside prior to your move to Long Island?

Oh, I spent my time much like the antagonist in Job; going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it...

Euro still gives us a good bit of snow (relatively speaking) on the front end at 84 hours. It has def. trended north though. The 850 0c line is directly over NYC at 90 hours. Looks like it changes over to mixed precipitation and rain...but I wouldn't be surprised if this run still gave us a light to moderate snow especially over the interior. Can't complain, really.

Euro still gives us a good bit of snow (relatively speaking) on the front end at 84 hours. It has def. trended north though. The 850 0c line is directly over NYC at 90 hours. Looks like it changes over to mixed precipitation and rain...but I wouldn't be surprised if this run still gave us a light to moderate snow especially over the interior. Can't complain, really.

Hows the clipper look?

a 50 mile shift south on the euro/gfs/ggem and we would be in line for a nice event..Its close, but it could also easily slip north and give us mostly rain

Looks like 6"+ up this way as per the euro.. Basically in line with the GFS as well..

It's a good thump for all of us. Much longer period of snow up where you are obviously. I have to wonder whether or not the mid level features will continue to trend north.

Even if they do, though...the surface cold has been overperforming somewhat which leads me to believe it could be another mid level warming, low level cold type situation. Could be more sleet and rain..especially for areas south of the city. We will see.

It's a good thump for all of us. Much longer period of snow up where you are obviously. I have to wonder whether or not the mid level features will continue to trend north.

Even if they do, though...the surface cold has been overperforming somewhat which leads me to believe it could be another mid level warming, low level cold type situation. Could be more sleet and rain..especially for areas south of the city. We will see.

Kinda gives me added comfort when the GGEM/GFS/EC all pretty much agree but like you said we shall see..

The event may come down to the typical overrunning precip timing fail the models often have. The 06Z GFS shows no measurable precip for NYC til hour 81, however; there is reason for me to believe based on these storms in the past that measurable precip could be falling by hour 75-77 or so when the GFS only shows precip into W NJ at best...the reason being you're barrelling moisture into a near 1030mb high and have great lift and moisture advection in the middle and upper levels.

This is seriously starting to look like a high level advisory low level warning event for NYC and LI this weekend with 4-7 inches of front end WAA SN/+SN, followed by light amount of IP and ZR. A low grade warning event is looking much more likely if one blends the latest GFS, GGEM and EURO. It looks like 100 miles south of here is a cold rain, and 100 miles north is locked in with a 5-9 inch snowfall warning event. Polar high position and low track are great right now for a plowable wet snowfall for the entire NYC metro area. It is very similar to some of the winter 1999-2000 snow events that impacted the area. Nice solid moderate hit, without being paralyzing or shutting down the area. Do not really need those double digit disruptive snowfalls we had last two winters as that was too much...

2/18/00 and 2/22/08 are the 2 events I'm looking at right now as possible analogs. Ironically about 10 days ago I mentioned those very 2 events as the ones to look at as possible analogs for what we could see in the upcoming 2 weeks period. I doubt we'll see anything like 7 or 8 inches for the coast on Saturday but 4 or 5 would not surprise me so long as we do not see some sort of horrid trend in the way everything evolves.

2/18/00 and 2/22/08 are the 2 events I'm looking at right now as possible analogs. Ironically about 10 days ago I mentioned those very 2 events as the ones to look at as possible analogs for what we could see in the upcoming 2 weeks period. I doubt we'll see anything like 7 or 8 inches for the coast on Saturday but 4 or 5 would not surprise me so long as we do not see some sort of horrid trend in the way everything evolves.

The cold air in place is pretty strong....and I was wondering why the gfs held off on the over running so late....remember 08 started earlier then molded

This is seriously starting to look like a high level advisory low level warning event for NYC and LI this weekend with 4-7 inches of front end WAA SN/+SN, followed by light amount of IP and ZR. A low grade warning event is looking much more likely if one blends the latest GFS, GGEM and EURO. It looks like 100 miles south of here is a cold rain, and 100 miles north is locked in with a 5-9 inch snowfall warning event. Polar high position and low track are great right now for a plowable wet snowfall for the entire NYC metro area. It is very similar to some of the winter 1999-2000 snow events that impacted the area. Nice solid moderate hit, without being paralyzing or shutting down the area. Do not really need those double digit disruptive snowfalls we had last two winters as that was too much...

I do not see any of this at all, what's to stop the north trend?

Archived