Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Wintry potential Saturday 1/21/2012

famartin

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt that usually the worse case. Unless you have temps in the 20 with steady rain that frz drizzle allows for it to accumulate instead of running off when you get a steadier rain.

That has been my experience. I also think freezing rain tends to be more dangerous than ice pellets. But that could just be an opinion and not an actual fact!

yea the nam is coming in with more of an ice threat for the immediate burbs on north and west

if it is more ice at least we are not going into an arctic plunge post storm so quick melt off is a positive

Ice makes sense given the swfe and wave riding along the warm frontal boundary. Classic 93-94 scenario.

minus the arctic air after

I know I saw this in a thread on the main forum, but can anyone help me out with the precip on the NAM maps from NCEP? At 6, 12, 18, and 24 hours, I assume that the 6-hour precip total is for the 6-hour period preceding that time. So the 6-hour precip at hour 6 of the run is the precip that falls between hour 0 and hour 6.

What about hours 3, 9, 15, and 21? Does the same rule apply? I seem to remember someone on the main forum (dtk?) who explained that the NAM precip on the NCEP maps was different than the GFS precip on the NCEP maps.

I've only had one capuccino today, so I hope my question isn't too confusing.

yes a good bit warmer, still a good amount of frozen/freezing, but phl and nearby burbs flip to rain now...always with swfe late north trends to be expected

Surface temps. remain below 32 (atleast for now) from about the PA Turnpike north. Of course, that can trend north (or south) before tomorrow.

I know I saw this in a thread on the main forum, but can anyone help me out with the precip on the NAM maps from NCEP? At 6, 12, 18, and 24 hours, I assume that the 6-hour precip total is for the 6-hour period preceding that time. So the 6-hour precip at hour 6 of the run is the precip that falls between hour 0 and hour 6.

What about hours 3, 9, 15, and 21? Does the same rule apply? I seem to remember someone on the main forum (dtk?) who explained that the NAM precip on the NCEP maps was different than the GFS precip on the NCEP maps.

I've only had one capuccino today, so I hope my question isn't too confusing.

Yes the 6, 12, 24 hr fcsts are for the preceding 6, 12, 24 hours qpf ending at that time. I'd have to check those other nam maps, I know on the sfc progs even though its 3 hr time steps, its six hr qpf.

Archived