12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Wintry potential Saturday 1/21/2012

famartin

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

318 PM EST THU JAN 19 2012

...SNOW EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...

.LOW PRESSURE FROM THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY IS FORECAST TO

MOVE NORTHEAST TO THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BY SATURDAY MORNING, THEN

INTENSIFY AS IT MOVES OUT OVER THE OCEAN LATER SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

SNOW FROM THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA FRIDAY

NIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF SATURDAY.

NJZ001-PAZ054-055-201100-

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0001.120121T0600Z-120122T0000Z/

SUSSEX-CARBON-MONROE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG

318 PM EST THU JAN 19 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...CARBON AND MONROE COUNTIES IN EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA

AND SUSSEX COUNTY IN NORTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL START FRIDAY NIGHT AFTER THE EVENING COMMUTE,

THEN CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BE HAZARDOUS ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED

ROADWAYS.

* WINDS...EAST 5 TO 10 MPH...BECOMING NORTH LATE ON SATURDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE UPPER TEENS LATE FRIDAY NIGHT, RISING

INTO THE MID TO UPPER 200S ON SATURDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$$

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For lehigh area.

AN INCH OR TWO OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. THEN SOME FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY

Is this a joke?

no it makes sense...Its always better to start off small and go bigger, just ask bolaris. When you hype something up 2 days out and in a volitile situation like this, you can get burnt. When you throw big numbers out and then have to downgrade its an inconvience to the public and leads to bashing. If you start off small and gradually work up its taken better than the other way,

For lehigh area.

AN INCH OR TWO OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. THEN SOME FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY

Is this a joke?

Because there's a chance warmer air can surge in aloft and change you over. the Poconos are about the only ones that are a lock to be all snow on this. Everyone has a shot at going to zr or ip in the Philly metro...

the trend is good now but these type of events aren't the easiest to forecast...they either overperform as thumps or they suck.

not only that, but it isnt like there isnt some support for this forecast, and the models that do predict more snow do so with a very marginal thermal profile. there's more to a forecast than just taking the snowiest model output and applying a 10-1 qpf ratio.

For lehigh area.

Is this a joke?

no it makes sense...Its always better to start off small and go bigger, just ask bolaris. When you hype something up 2 days out and in a volitile situation like this, you can get burnt. When you throw big numbers out and then have to downgrade its an inconvience to the public and leads to bashing. If you start off small and gradually work up its taken better than the other way,

I sure the hell would not ask Bolaris anything except maybe for a spiked drink and a trip to Miami. One must be realistic and indicate the storm has the potential for additional snow accumulation right at the start. Private contracting plow drivers like to hear realistic numbers. Nothing worse than plowing the same parking lot twice because some lame brain said it was only going to snow an inch. Now thats an inconvenience for the business and for the plow driver.

I sure the hell would not ask Bolaris anything except maybe for a spiked drink and a trip to Miami. One must be realistic and indicate the storm has the potential for additional snow accumulation right at the start. Private contracting plow drivers like to hear realistic numbers. Nothing worse than plowing the same parking lot twice because some lame brain said it was only going to snow an inch. Now thats an inconvenience for the business and for the plow driver.

i realize that, but why would you throw high numbers out when their is still a good deal of uncertainty...by this time tomorrow it could be higher and the contractors would of had plenty of time to adapt.

i realize that, but why would you throw high numbers out when their is still a good deal of uncertainty...by this time tomorrow it could be higher and the contractors would of had plenty of time to adapt.

You realized your arguing with grothar? Lolz

If you forecast 6" of snow and reality ends up being an inch of snow plus freezing rain and sleet do you think the plow driver (and public) would prefer that?

I though NJ was in for a 2-5 inch snow forecast but yet Mt Holly seems to downplay this whole event and make it a non event. What is the deal here? I am a snowplow operator and scheduled for a trip to DC on Saturday but probably not going to do it. It makes a big difference though if we get 1-2 inches vs 2-5 inches in my business...if you read this forum and the NYC forum it would appear a 2-5 inch storm is the likely scenerio, can anyone tell me why Mt Holly is so conservative?

I am not saying necessarily high numbers to give them false hopes- just realistic number range for snow and ice. Sleet and ice do matter because of the amount of salt needed on the parking lot. For a promet firm or whomever to say 1-2 inches with freezing rain is not realistic with overrunning storm events. The potential to bust low is higher for this year as evident by the October storm event. I would simply add possible higher accumulation of snow to the forecast.Plow drivers like snow- less cost to spread salt and you can scrape all the way to the pavement

1. depends where in NJ? certainly wouldnt like that forecast for anywhere near the shore

2. there is a very marginal temperature gradient here, the small differences that would lead to 1-2" as opposed to 2-5" are very hard to tell a few days before the event, Mt. Holly is putting out a good, conservative forecast given the information out there now.

I though NJ was in for a 2-5 inch snow forecast but yet Mt Holly seems to downplay this whole event and make it a non event. What is the deal here? I am a snowplow operator and scheduled for a trip to DC on Saturday but probably not going to do it. It makes a big difference though if we get 1-2 inches vs 2-5 inches in my business...if you read this forum and the NYC forum it would appear a 2-5 inch storm is the likely scenerio, can anyone tell me why Mt Holly is so conservative?

Archived