Newest Member
    Toothache
Wintry potential Saturday 1/21/2012

famartin

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shocked at the GFS...

2 m temps barely reach philly, if that.. 850's by 1-78... big jump to a colder solution.. Burp or start of something?

More importantly, what the heck happened to the warm weather next week?

850s on monday only get to +8 and then collapse...what gives? I was really looking forward to the 70 degree weather for a bit.

Winter torch fail...

Hurricane seemed to be holding back a bit (likely wisely) with the 0z GFS changes (though other 0z models seemed to be folowing it!?)

any words from wxrisk or JB??

i wouldnt blame him.. just 1 suite of runs.. we'll see what happens at 12z.. if the trend continues, it's gonna be a tough forecast for the immediate phillu burbs.

That all the models shifted (well, still waiting for the EC) suggests an important observational change. I'm lazy so I haven't gone looking for it ;) (hey, its my day off!) It *is* possible that some bad data made it out there. But anyway, I think its wise to wait for another at least 1, if not 2 model runs before going all-in.

Finally...here's the rough snow map from ewall. 2-4" for everybody...more inland.

http://www.meteo.psu...S_6z/snow60.gif

Kinda hard to believe the NAM's going to spit 4-6" of snow in SE PA when the 850 line is north of I-78 during the heaviest precip on the model. It doesn't make a huge difference the NYC crowd but down here it seems way, way off.

SV and Instatnt Weather maps seem a heckuva lot more reasonable on accum IMBY (but that's just SEPA)

post-105-0-90254900-1326965541.gif

6z GFS a touch warmer aloft, pretty similar at the surface. Front end snow to wintry slop for much of SE PA...snow holds longer north than it does in the city.

the 850 line shifted 20 miles north on this run during the height of precip, generally RDG-TTN at 7 AM Sat...was right over PHL on the 0z for the same timeframe.

The 6Z NAM and 0Z EC are very similar... the 6Z GFS is the odd man out among the three. DT's EE rule?

this can go either way in my eyes, it can trend colder or go warmer obviously. So far with the 0z model suite the trend has been colder. The 0z ggem is almost all snow in phl and def. all snow north of the pa turnpike. We all know the mid level warmth comes in a lot faster than progged. My concern is icing with that high placement it could be dicey.

Hurricane seemed to be holding back a bit (likely wisely) with the 0z GFS changes (though other 0z models seemed to be folowing it!?)

any words from wxrisk or JB??

funny

last thing I saw from JB was basically a prediction on the GFS...which the 00z delivered.

He spoke about cold...warm....models over doing the breakdown of the cold etc etc.

Anyway, trend is ....well you know.

If we can pull off back to back wintry weekends in the poconos I will be stoked.

yeah the nam is finally on board with this...most of what falls by hour 54 when the 850 0c line is just north of nyc has already fallen as snow. .. Definitely getting confident in A 3-6" event area-wide with this... but lets wait and see what the next 2 day's models bring

EDIT: This was a NYC metro area-centric post...I forgot I was in the Philly thread. it still is a decent run for you guys but probably rain and sleet to deal with still.

yeah the nam is finally on board with this...most of what falls by hour 54 when the 850 0c line is just north of nyc has already fallen as snow. .. Definitely getting confident in A 3-6" event area-wide with this... but lets wait and see what the next 2 day's models bring

EDIT: This was a NYC metro area-centric post...I forgot I was in the Philly thread. it still is a decent run for you guys but probably rain and sleet to deal with still.

Nyc should deff get a couple inches of snow out of this. Latitude helps with this storm. Though, watch out for the warm air intrusion below 850, you know the mid level warmth works in faster than what is progged. Good thing for you guys is that this is still 2 days away and can trend colder, or it cold trend warmer. Though a snowless jan for nyc looks gone as of now.

for the phl area on the nam... lehigh valley and far burbs do well with a good shot at 3 plus...philly immediate burbs looks like an ice storm, and the city should see some good icing before going over to some rain, but 80% of the precip looks ot be frozen/freezing t\for the city on n and w... I'm more concerned over the ice potential than snow. The city itself on the nam only reaches 33-34 for the high...Obviously things can change big time, but as of now things are trending colder...

f48.gif

Archived