12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Wintry potential Saturday 1/21/2012

famartin

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter storm watch in ABE cancelled and changed to an advisory instead..

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

320 PM EST FRI JAN 20 2012

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-061-062-211000-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0001.120121T0600Z-120122T0000Z/

/O.EXB.KPHI.WW.Y.0003.120121T0600Z-120121T2200Z/

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...

JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 5 PM EST

SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 5 PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS

NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH

LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE SOUTH OF THE SOUTHERN

POCONOS AND FAR NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.

gonna be a tight precip type based gradient possible....like bala cynwyd 3"...airport 1"...the northbound lanes of 295 half inch of slop :-P

livin on the edge

business as usual for us jersey boys...I keep looking at the RUC on the NCEP site and the 850s stay cold enough down to S DE. Not sure how much to believe it though when comparing it to the NAM/GFS...

Winter storm watch in ABE cancelled and changed to an advisory instead..

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-061-062-211000-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0001.120121T0600Z-120122T0000Z/

/O.EXB.KPHI.WW.Y.0003.120121T0600Z-120121T2200Z/

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...

JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 5 PM EST

SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 5 PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS

NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH

LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE SOUTH OF THE SOUTHERN

POCONOS AND FAR NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.

I just saw that too. Although earlier AFD mentioned about approaching warning criteria.

gotta question the accuracy of the snowfall output maps that the NAM is generating for some of us (mainly the city). Hard to get 3-4" of snow in Philly when the NAM is showing a changeover by 6-7 AM and only having it snow 3-4 hrs...you'd have to get an inch an hour...that's a helluva thump on the front end...

http://www.meteo.psu...4_18z/cld17.gif

If you're in the city (not Mount Airy), you probably should expect one inch of snow and be happy if the changeover doesn't happen...

business as usual for us jersey boys...I keep looking at the RUC on the NCEP site and the 850s stay cold enough down to S DE. Not sure how much to believe it though when comparing it to the NAM/GFS...

Gotta go with whatever model shows the most snow!! :snowing: seriously though, this close to the storm, you have to use the shorter term models.

It will be real interesting to see where the snow/sleet/frz rain line is at 12z Sat. morning. 18z NAM would "suggest" its creeping northward somewhere near the PA Turnpike and across I-195 in Jersey.

Pretty much if I wake up to sleet at 7-8am tomorrow......not a good sign for SE PA snow lovers.

I just saw that too. Although earlier AFD mentioned about approaching warning criteria.

Watch was probably up because of an icing threat. Since area in their Forecast area will be only 3-6" no need for a warning. If we had Icing as well, i believe they would have gone with a warning.

Heck, I'll take an advisory instead of what's been out the last 3 months!

Good luck to all!

Both NYC and Mt. Holly NWS offices have gone with Winter Weather Advisories, only, for up to 6" of snow, with the assumption being that 6" won't be attained, generally, as would be needed to post winter storm warnings (very minor point, really). Looks like basically all snow north of about I-78 (4-7" worth) and for most of NYC metro, with sleet and maybe freezing rain only mixing in south of I-78 and in the coastal NYC boroughs/LI, near the end, as temps warm a bit. More like 3-5" south of I-78 down to about I-195 and across to about Philly, with 1-3" south of a Philly to about Asbury Park line (with the lesser amounts towards the coast).

Could also be 1/4" of sleet and/or 0.1" of freezing rain on top of the snow in areas where enough warm air comes in at mid-levels of the atmosphere to melt the falling snow from above (and then it freezes on its final descent through sub-freezing air near the surface, forming sleet, or freezes on contact as freezing rain if the sub-freezing layer is very shallow, i.e., tens of feet). Fortunately, for travelers any freezing rain will be during daylight hours, when major roads will have warmed above freezing, due to the indirect sunlight, travel and salt, so I would only expect issues on backroads. I'm guessing there is just not enough moisture availabe for warnings, as there looks to be enough cold air in place in most areas. I'll still be ecstatic with 3-5" in my backyard, given how crappy this winter has been.

I have a question. Seems like storms always move out faster then modeled. Could this happen here and possibly limit the change over in the southern areas.

Models initialize on their first guesses (6hr fcsts that they use to compare and contrast with what the actual soundings show) and if they start having a slow bias with an event its tough for them to "catch up". A faster solution would translate into less warming aloft, but probably overall less qpf.

Archived