e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wanna of your biggest Peeves..

Ground temps can be a factor in accum, especially on roads/concrete, but some take it pretty far.

I'm surprised at how cold you get. I don't think we got below 10 here in town.

lol yeah it is. That pet peeve's from dealing with people over the last 10 years who take it to the point of "no accumulation it won't stick because it was 60 the last three days and the ground's warm". Then if you or others will point out "hey rates are going to be pretty significant and besides here's 1,135 examples of accumulating snows after warm weather", they will still argue it. That to me is someone telling you the sun rises in the west then you show them where the sun is rising the next morning, and they say "nope, still rises in the west". Then the thread gets mucked up with constant arguing and whining about it.

But of course ground temps are a factor, just not a deal breaker. They are also a factor in how long you keep snow around.

Not sure where you see this warm up? Plenty cold fro me still and I am 1 hr west of Harrisburg. Maybe for SE but that is typical. RGEM still looks good.

See plots above.

Just gotta wince when one of the colder models changes that drastically inside of 36hrs....even if it is just one run.

We'll see how the ARW run goes and go from there.

Its a known bias. It's a lot better since the upgrade but still suffers from it. Consistently overdoes light returns.

Look at last nights non event for those East of that horrible mountain chain.

It stinks.

Overall, the models screwed up last night's event up here by under doing it. I think they did pretty good elsewhere.

I posted my forecast in a new blog for this event... http://www.wundergro...=217#commenttop. I would definitely keep an eye on a mid level warm layer which may reduce snow accumulations in southern Pennsylvania. Latest model runs have been increasing warmth slightly in the mid and upper layers of the column. Latest GFS even brings an extended period of freezing rain into the KMDT region. HIRE guidance tends to be too cold with thermals and therefore should primarily be used for other factors.

This was my call from around 4 this morning, probably going to be rolling with it. My max range is going to be 6-8 inches for whoever see a combination of the best rates and the best ratios. 09z SREFs continued to bring the higher snow axis down deeper into PA, and brought it's 4+ probs a hair south. I'm still not sold on this being a major mixed event deep into central PA. I'm not really sold on it deep in the Laurels either. I think the western third of Somerset County and southwest corner of Cambria is where the highest ZR amounts will reside with further east at and below the turnpike seeing mainly sleet as a mixed precip type. At any rate, I see the southern Laurels folks getting more than a measly half inch of snow before any changeover. Will have to keep an eye out then on SE most portions of PA for more freezing rain if we do get more WAA aloft there.

post-1507-0-67729300-1327081903.gif

Good news is this one may put Harrisburg over the top in terms of beating the record lowest winter snowfall total (8.6" I think). snowing3.gif

Of course that's assuming one is allowed to count October as "winter". axesmiley.png

We have all of February and March left. Though we may not have a banner year, we'll have more then 8.6" and that doesn't count October.

We have all of February and March left. Though we may not have a banner year, we'll have more then 8.6" and that doesn't count October.

Yeah, we'll likely end around somewhat normal I'd guess.

I was rooting for the least amount of snow on record, just to contrast with the wettest year on record (and by nearly 3 entire feet of extra rain).

Archived