amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2012 Winter Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to finally see a forecast like this. Ah, to be under one of these bands...

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

921 AM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS

EVENING TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION AND TUG HILL

PLATEAU.

* TIMING...LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES OVERNIGHT...5 TO 10 INCHES

MONDAY...5 TO 9 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS

TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 1 TO 2 FEET IN THE MOST

PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

Nice to finally see a forecast like this. Ah, to be under one of these bands...

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

921 AM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS

EVENING TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION AND TUG HILL

PLATEAU.

* TIMING...LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES OVERNIGHT...5 TO 10 INCHES

MONDAY...5 TO 9 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS

TUESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 1 TO 2 FEET IN THE MOST

PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

fake snow. It settles as soon as it falls and rarely causes any big problems because it falls where there is no population. Even when it hits Buffalo, they barely react because its so localized and has very low water content so it can be sneezed away.

fake snow. It settles as soon as it falls and rarely causes any big problems because it falls where there is no population. Even when it hits Buffalo, they barely react because its so localized and has very low water content so it can be sneezed away.

I wasnt saying its the same as a big synoptic snowfall. Just pointing out these LES events usually come at the onset of winter, and its been another element missing in this disappointing season so far.

I wouldnt say it rarely causes any big problems. Different problems than a large synoptic event here, but problems nonetheless. Either way, Im glad to finally see cold air pushing across the lakes, short lived as it may turn out to be.

GFS has been insisting of a gradient pattern for the last 2 days.

Fwiw, JB expects a colder and stormy pattern to prevail from mid January on.

Yea a gradient pattern that sets up pretty far south which is beautiful. Not the typical SNE gradient pattern where we get screwed, cold air engulfs the entire country.

Guest Pamela

Looks like a return to normalcy (to borrow Harding's phrase) in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties; at least for the next day or so...CChautauqua, Cattaraugus countieshautauqua, Cattaraugus counties

Guest Pamela

its not good when instead of texts about models I get "I give up"

Sigh.

Good likelihood there will be measurable snow throughout the area within the next 2 weeks / by 1/15/12...

Guest Pamela

Didn't say I gave up, but it would seem the troops are a bit defeated

"I don't want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a goddamned thing. . We are advancing constantly. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose; like sh*t through a tin horn!"

...Patton

"I don't want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a goddamned thing. . We are advancing constantly. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose; like sh*t through a tin horn!"

...Patton

they don't make them like Patton anymore.

I got my buffalo webcam ready.

fake effect. Having spent for years in the finger lakes and seeing the lake effect first hand, its hillarious. Going from street to street seeing it sunny in one spot and ripping in the next. Looks impressive when it first falls, flattened to nothing 20 minutes after it stops.

fake effect. Having spent for years in the finger lakes and seeing the lake effect first hand, its hillarious. Going from street to street seeing it sunny in one spot and ripping in the next. Looks impressive when it first falls, flattened to nothing 20 minutes after it stops.

Finger Lakes arent LES hot spots...i spent four years there too. We always had to chase towards Syracuse to be in the good stuff.

Buffalo late Dec '01 is a good example of how paralyzing lake effect can be...

Cornell rarely got real LES. You need to go just north of SYR to see the real good snows.

Archived