• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Winter Banter Thread

CooL

Boxing day was the only snowstorm to make me lose power. That should tell you something.

I'm not sure why alex is not as big a fan of boxing day because I saw pics of his block and it was pretty epic.

Its my 3rd favorite storm of all time. How does that not make me a big fan? I loved Boxing day.

Here is a sick picture of my block the morning after Boxing Day. The drifting BURIED my block. Not passable for days:

post-146-0-85715800-1325007735.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-146-0-71235300-1325007793.jpg Boxing Daypost-146-0-45468800-1325007861.jpgJan.26-27, 2011

Its my 3rd favorite storm of all time. How does that not make me a big fan? I loved Boxing day.

Here is a sick picture of my block the morning after Boxing Day. The drifting BURIED my block. Not passable for days:

1st pic: after Boxing day..No plows came through for 3 days. My street was buried...

2nd pic: after Jan. 26-27,2011... More snow in my area, but plows did a great job:

Now in main forum don s is saying don't see no pattern change and no break in positive ao.

Don S is surely a nice guy but he has been wrong before. In February of 2010 he called for the return of blocking in March and more snow to add to the record snows in Philly, Baltimore and DC. We all know how that turned out. :sizzle:

post-146-0-71235300-1325007793.jpg Boxing Daypost-146-0-45468800-1325007861.jpgJan.26-27, 2011

1st pic: after Boxing day..No plows came through for 3 days. My street was buried...

2nd pic: after Jan. 26-27,2011... More snow in my area, but plows did a great job:

I'm pretty sure you had a good foot of snowpack on the ground before the January system as opposed to the nothing from Boxing Day.

I'm pretty sure you had a good foot of snowpack on the ground before the January system as opposed to the nothing from Boxing Day.

Yeah. I did.

I measured 14" for Boxing Day and 18.5" for January 26-27, 2011. Boxing day had a TON more snow on the streets, due to blowing off roofs and drifting.

We have already been in the low teens up here numerous times..

If I'm not mistaken, the last few times that temperatures dropped into the 10s north/west of NYC, they weren't modeled to be that cold. Now the NAM is showing lower to mid 20s just north/west of NYC with more widespread 10s inland, colder than what the models showed for most of our cold nights so far, so perhaps it could be even colder than what's shown on the models.

If the DGEX doesn't have some absurb phased solution today I would be amazed

I wouldn't be amazed if this run doesn't have it, since the DGEX typically tends to follow the GFS (unless the NAM shows something completely different than the GFS at hour 84), with the 12z GFS showing a dry and exaggerated cold scenario. I'd be surprised if the DGEX doesn't show at least one crazy run in the next 2-3 days though.

DT

COMMENTS on new 0Z 12/28 GFS run.. WEATHER GEEK TALK... While it may appear to SOME that the 0z GFS still has NO big east coast storm Just Looking at the surface Map would be a Mistake at this point ... the 0z GFS surface map now does have a Low... whereas the 12z run did NOT and the 500 MB map is also looking a bit more like the European and Canadian Model

Archived