joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Winter Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don S is surely a nice guy but he has been wrong before. In February of 2010 he called for the return of blocking in March and more snow to add to the record snows in Philly, Baltimore and DC. We all know how that turned out. :sizzle:

As long as we don't see any pro mets saying that I would'nt worry about what he says.

Meteorologist Justin Berk

As we all anxiously await the next model run... I just want to point out a few things.

First: Yesterday I showed the Canadian with a major storm for the East Coast that the Euro also had, but the GFS did not. It was not my forecast, and I was careful in choosing the words 'potential'. Even on the map I wrote a 'question mark'. I do have a hard time accepting that a map will verify more than a week in advance. That said, I still think we will see a pattern change in January. There are signals around the globe that indicate this pattern has peaked out.

Which leads me to my second point: The Super-storm of 1993. That surprised many as it hit with an NAO over +4. POSITIVE! Think back to Hurricane Andrew months before that. This monster hit in an El Nino year, when hurricanes are suppose to be suppressed. My Point: It is good to look at global patterns, but nothing is locked in place. Just because the overall pattern suggests that something can't happen, it doesn't guarantee it. What I have learned in the past 20 years, is that 'anything' can happen.

DT

COMMENTS ON 12Z GFS 12/28 RUN ** One of the reasons WHY the GFS Model has NOT showed the JAN 4 POSSIBLE east coast storm is that over the past few days the GFS has a much "quieter" overall pattern. In other words while the euro has showed massive east coast trough... TONS of arctic air.... strong winds and the possible east coast storm JAN 4.... the GFS has NOT until this past run. . This also ALLOW for the GFS to start moving to the big east coast idea... Keep in Mid with OCT 28-29 east coast noreaster the euro had the event OCT 21 and OCT 22.. while the GFS had NO such Low until 84 hrs out... Nothing

Time to give it a rest folks, the Mets stand a better chance at winning the world series this year than we do at getting a decent snowstorm before mid January. As you can see, even with a very favorable +PNA ridge, we would still need to essentially win the lottery in terms of the luck needed to not only get the storm, but also a good track and have it cold enough.

It's a bit sad to see how spoiled some of the posters have gotten in this sub-forum. Generally speaking, NYC has received its annual snowfall in one or two storms the last few years, but this is far from the norm. The numbers below are slightly inflated because of that, I would like to see what the averges were from say before 2007-2008.

Average annual snowfall Days Place Inches Centimetres 10.5 Bridgehampton, Long Island 26.8 68.1 11.5 Brookhaven, Long Island 31.9 81.0 11.9 New York City, Brooklyn 22.7 57.7 11.1 New York City, Central Park 25.1 63.8 13.7 New York JFK Airport 23.8 60.5 13.1 New York La Guardia Airport 26.9 68.3 10.7 White Plains 27.7 70.4

Time to give it a rest folks, the Mets stand a better chance at winning the world series this year than we do at getting a decent snowstorm before mid January. As you can see, even with a very favorable +PNA ridge, we would still need to essentially win the lottery in terms of the luck needed to not only get the storm, but also a good track and have it cold enough.

It's a bit sad to see how spoiled some of the posters have gotten in this sub-forum. Generally speaking, NYC has received its annual snowfall in one or two storms the last few years, but this is far from the norm. The numbers below are slightly inflated because of that, I would like to see what the averges were from say before 2007-2008.

Average annual snowfall                                        Days                            Place                            Inches                            Centimetres                                            10.5                            Bridgehampton, Long Island                              26.8                              68.1                                            11.5                            Brookhaven, Long Island                              31.9                              81.0                                            11.9                            New York City, Brooklyn                              22.7                              57.7                                            11.1                            New York City, Central Park                              25.1                              63.8                                            13.7                            New York JFK Airport                              23.8                              60.5                                            13.1                            New York La Guardia Airport                              26.9                              68.3                                            10.7                            White Plains                              27.7                              70.4

IMO that's too negative a post. The Euro and Canadian showed how it can happen. Maybe the percentages aren't high, but those models didn't cook up something impossible.

IMO that's too negative a post. The Euro and Canadian showed how it can happen. Maybe the percentages aren't high, but those models didn't cook up something impossible.

It's simple, we can't seem to get out of our own way this season. As Eartlight mentioned yesterday, even after that great Euro run, we still ended up with a + NAO.

We need a complete wholesale pattern shift. The only way thats going to happen is if the Pacific improves (MJO), and those types of things take time to change.

That's not to say we can't get a storm even in this horrific global regime, but its incredibly difficult.

Just remember how fortunate we were to get Boxing Day. The pattern was such that it was only a matter of when and not if. We missed OTS a few days before it, and we almost missed OTS with Boxing day, but when you have such great blocking, the trough just keeps reloading. This year is the complete opposite.

Ruggie

The MJO is going into a more favorible cycle as we head into 2nd part of winter and I expect a rubberband snap of the NAO and AO. These combined should really help for a great winter comeback, from mid January into Feb and March. February could be epic with cold and a couple big snow events.

So starting next week, our true pattern to colder more winter like conditions begins. Our First Arctic airmass of the season settles in for a few days next week. For next Tuesday and Wednesday We'll see highs near 30 and lows in the teens, BRrrrr.

In addition, A minor snow event cant be ruled out for later next week.

Archived