• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC TV Meteorologists & Their Degrees

LocoAko

Since I see it being discussed a fair amount (and because I'm bored), I figured I'd go through and once-and-for-all see which meteorologists have degrees (or some training) and which don't. Of course, we know this doesn't necessarily make one a bad or good forecaster, and there are plenty of people/interns who work behind the scenes, but people seem to think it matters, so here goes.

CBS2

• John Elliott - B.A. in Radio, Television, and Film, studied meteorology at Mississippi State University
  • Lonnie Quinn - B.A. in Speech Communications from Boston College
  • Elise Finch - Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University
  • Vanessa Murdoch - M.S. in Meteorology from Penn State University

NBC4

• Janice Huff - B.S. in Meteorology from Florida State University
  • Chris Cimino - B.S. in Meteorology from City College New York
  • Domenica Davis - B.S. in Broadcast Journalism from Boston College, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University
  • Raphael Miranda - B.A. in Spanish from NYU, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University

FOX5

• Nick Gregory - B.S. in Meteorology from Lyndon State College
  • Mike Woods - B.A. in Rhetoric and Communications from U.C. Davis
  • Shay Ryan - B.A. in Telecommunication from University of FL, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University

ABC7

• Jeff Smith - B.S. in Meteorology from Cornell University
  • Lee Goldberg - B.S. in Meteorology from Cornell University
  • Bill Evans - B.A. from Mississippi State University, Meteorology degree from Jackson State University
  • Amy Freeze - B.S. in Geosciences from Mississippi State University, M.S. in Environmental Science from UPenn

PIX11

• Linda Church - ?? from University of Florida
  • Mr. G - B.A. in History from Hofstra University, M.A. in Secondary Ed from Hofstra
  • Lisa Mateo - Currently enrolled at Kean University working on a meteorology degree
  • John Marshall - ??
  • Craig Allen - B.S. in Meteorology from Stony Brook University (also on CBS Radio)

NY1 News

• John Davitt - B.S. in Meteorology from Kean University

So, does weather a "meteorologist" on the news have a degree in Meteorology or not affect your perception of them? Should it? Do you think there is a correlation between having a B.S. in Met. and forecasting ability?

I've always felt that the good forcasters are the ones who have a passion for the weather like we do here. Many of them don't have that passion even if they do have a degree. I've always said that some of them studied weather because they really didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives, not because they loved weather.

Since I see it being discussed a fair amount (and because I'm bored), I figured I'd go through and once-and-for-all see which meteorologists have degrees (or some training) and which don't. Of course, we know this doesn't necessarily make one a bad or good forecaster, and there are plenty of people/interns who work behind the scenes, but people seem to think it matters, so here goes.

So, does weather a "meteorologist" on the news have a degree in Meteorology or not affect your perception of them? Should it? Do you think there is a correlation between having a B.S. in Met. and forecasting ability?

I dont think their degrees have ever mattered to me....but a certain bias does develop based on their past storms, how much they seem to actually know, etc. Janice Huff has a degree, but when you watch, there are times you get the impression that shes really up there to give everyone the basics, and nothing more. That may just be a product of what the news station and the general public might want. The opposite end of the spectrum is obviously some of the people from Channel 7....they (seem to at least) go much further, discussing things (such as blocking) that anyone only interested in the short term weather probably has never heard of before lol.

You have to realize that on-air personalities may have other responsibilities such as community outreach, going to award ceremonies where everyone wins an award, meeting with advertisers, etc. so if they haven't looked at the 00Z models, it may not mean they are lazy, but didn't have the time. Keep in mind they also have weather producers. If you watch Channel four at 4:30 A.M., behind Cimino when they go to the weather center is their weather producer (I believe) who used to be on-air I believe in Minneapolis.

I dont think their degrees have ever mattered to me....but a certain bias does develop based on their past storms, how much they seem to actually know, etc. Janice Huff has a degree, but when you watch, there are times you get the impression that shes really up there to give everyone the basics, and nothing more. That may just be a product of what the news station and the general public might want. The opposite end of the spectrum is obviously some of the people from Channel 7....they (seem to at least) go much further, discussing things (such as blocking) that anyone only interested in the short term weather probably has never heard of before lol.

She definitely comes off as being pretty weak meteorologically, I'll tell you that much.

I agree with the article in terms of what someone should have to call themselves a meteorologist but I think the post by doncat hits it pretty well. I think there are many people in this field as there are many others because they just thought it sounded cool or did not know what else they wanted to do. As a result, while they may not necessarily hate the career or the job they don't have the passion for it to perform with the level of enthusiam or knowledge of say a TV guy like Joe Cioffi or Nick Gregory even though they might possess the same knowledge.

The last time I went to a local "news channel" for "weather information" was during the Blizzard of '83, I believe...

with the level of enthusiam or knowledge of say a TV guy like Joe Cioffi.

Will amend my post to make an exception for Cioffi...who I watched daily on the local cable channel "News 12"....this man was out****ingstanding and a hero and inspiration to me...

I dont listen to local TV Mets when there is a milion times more information on here and I can figure most if not all of it out myself. I could care less where any of them have attended school except having a sense of pride for those who attended Cornell, and that is the extent of it.

Will amend my post to make an exception for Cioffi...who I watched daily on the local cable channel "News 12"....this man was out****ingstanding and a hero and inspiration to me...

The ABC crew is great. Lee Golberg and the crew go into great detail. They use the euro and explain weather in detail.

...you never see cioffi anymore..he is still employed by 'news 12' long island..to bad we are

stuck with r. hoffman every morning..no offense to rich but can't he give more insight to the longer

range or explain the why's or why nots..i mean he's on about 80 times per hour..its the same bs every segment he's on..hey william..do you remember "joestradamous"??..thats when cioffi would look

long range and would explain what was going on...he was right more than he was wrong..and he was

just as passionate as we are regarding snow/cold..

Joe Cioffi was working the Sunday before the Blizzard in 1978 at the weather Bureau. He delivered the analysis for them on weather radio.

I have to admit that I was pretty surprised to learn that Vanessa Murdoch has a Master's in Meteorology from PSU. Pretty damn impressive - not too often one with those qualifications goes into television.

The only other on air meteorologist I was aware of who has a Masters in Meteorology was believe it or not Norm Dvoskin from News 12. He has a MS in Meteorology from I believe NYU back in the days when they had a program there which has been gone for years now, one of my college professors had his degree from there too.

Some great mets don't come across good on TV or radio...I grew up watching Tex Antoine who wasn't a met but left you thinking he knew his weather...Today it's all about the models...I think you have to know the climate you are forecasting for...When and if I move to Florida the first thing I will do concerning the local weather is reading up on the climate and their weather records...

Yeah its really difficult to find that balance. You need someone with a good tv/on air personality, looks good, speaks well and can hopefully also forecast the weather. Some stations opt for the pretty face while having someone else do the weather behind the scenes. I guess there's nothing really wrong with that, so long as the public is getting the best information fed to them. It seems like the general public go with who they trust, who they think is right most often, not necessarily who knows the most.

Some great mets don't come across good on TV or radio...I grew up watching Tex Antoine who wasn't a met but left you thinking he knew his weather...Today it's all about the models...I think you have to know the climate you are forecasting for...When and if I move to Florida the first thing I will do concerning the local weather is reading up on the climate and their weather records...

CBS2

• John Elliott - B.A. in Radio, Television, and Film, studied meteorology at Mississippi State University

NBC4

• Domenica Davis - B.S. in Broadcast Journalism from Boston College, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University
  • Raphael Miranda - B.A. in Spanish from NYU, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University

FOX5

• Shay Ryan - B.A. in Telecommunication from University of FL, Broadcast Meteorology Program from Mississippi State University

ABC7

• Bill Evans - B.A. from Mississippi State University, Meteorology degree from Jackson State University
  • Amy Freeze - B.S. in Geosciences from Mississippi State University, M.S. in Environmental Science from UPenn

PIX11

• Mr. G - B.A. in History from Hofstra University, M.A. in Secondary Ed from Hofstra
  • Lisa Mateo - Currently enrolled at Kean University working on a meteorology degree
  • John Marshall - ??
  • Craig Allen - B.S. in Meteorology from Stony Brook University (also on CBS Radio)

NY1 News

John Marshall has a degree in meteorology(back then though it was a BA, not a BS like it is today) from Kean university.

Where is john Marshall these days?

I watched him a few times on WPIX but recently its Craig Allen.

Thanks,

Rossi

He is freelancing whenever he can. He set up a website and a Facebook page that you can check out every day.

Site: http://www.johnmarshallweather.com/

FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Marshall-Weather/328525397162374

You have to realize that on-air personalities may have other responsibilities such as community outreach, going to award ceremonies where everyone wins an award, meeting with advertisers, etc. so if they haven't looked at the 00Z models, it may not mean they are lazy, but didn't have the time. Keep in mind they also have weather producers. If you watch Channel four at 4:30 A.M., behind Cimino when they go to the weather center is their weather producer (I believe) who used to be on-air I believe in Minneapolis.

Generally. WABC receives daily products from AccuWeather instead of utilizing an in-house weather producer.

CBS2

NBC4

FOX5

ABC7

PIX11

• John Marshall - ??

NY1 News

John Marshall has a B.S. in Meteorology from Kean University.

Archived