• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC TV Meteorologists & Their Degrees

LocoAko

Yeah but the meteorologists tthere still examine things themselves and just confer with AccuWx. It isn't uncommon for them to go against what AccuWx has advised.

I dont know about that. They seem to follow accuweather"s forcast to a tee, even down to the exact temp forcasts. Didnt they go with accu's call on last january's snowstorm of an additional 3-6 in. of snow at night when over a foot fell. That forcast was so bad I cant see them coming up with it on their own. I would think with ch.7 paying accuwx for their services that they might frown upon their own guys changing the forcast... kinda like paying for nothing.

I dont know about that. They seem to follow accuweather"s forcast to a tee, even down to the exact temp forcasts. Didnt they go with accu's call on last january's snowstorm of an additional 3-6 in. of snow at night when over a foot fell. That forcast was so bad I cant see them coming up with it on their own. I would think with ch.7 paying accuwx for their services that they might frown upon their own guys changing the forcast... kinda like paying for nothing.

Yes, I happen to know from first-hand experience that they're not allowed to go against what Accuwx tells them.

Lee Goldberg makes his own forecasts. I've seen times in which at 6pm he talks about making changes to the 5 day by 11pm, and he does it. I've also seen him talk on tristateweatherboard. For example one time last season he talked about being a little uncomfortable going on air with a new snow map he had put together, before being able to see the Euro late at night. Lee is a great met. Nick Gregory use to be my favorite, but in recent years Lee has moved ahead of him as my favorite. I love the way he goes into the science.

Lee Goldberg makes his own forecasts. I've seen times in which at 6pm he talks about making changes to the 5 day by 11pm, and he does it. I've also seen him talk on tristateweatherboard. For example one time last season he talked about being a little uncomfortable going on air with a new snow map he had put together, before being able to see the Euro late at night. Lee is a great met. Nick Gregory use to be my favorite, but in recent years Lee has moved ahead of him as my favorite. I love the way he goes into the science.

Lee can only do that with prior approval from Accuwx. In other words, he has to put in a call with them and get their approval. That is why he is "uncomfortable".

Lee can only do that with prior approval from Accuwx. In other words, he has to put in a call with them and get their approval. That is why he is "uncomfortable".

It wasn't that he was uncomfortable over accuweather. I'm telling you exactly what he said on the board. He decided to go on air with much higher snow totals at 11pm, despite the fact that the Euro wasn't on board yet. He said the reason he was a little uncomfortable was because he decided to up the totals late that night before the Euro came on board, and he was very anxious to see the Euro. Then he was happy to see the Euro come aboard late that night. That was like 2 in the morning when he was talking to us.

I think you're exaggerating what their arrangement is. WABC receives maps, forecasts, discussions, etc. from AccuWeather, but I don't think the number one news station in the number one television market would require that its meteorologists get "approval" from an outside company to issue a forecast.

Archived