• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Year...new pattern? Let's stir things up.....

wxhstn74

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lake is running pretty warm right now as well, so delta Ts could be intense. If it wasn't the Euro, i wouldn't even bother mentioning it but it's been far and away the premier model this winter.

When the cold air does run over the lakes - that warm water is going to fuel a snow extravaganza! For example Lake Michigan:

mswt-00.gif

Yeah, I doubt any major atlantic blocking is coming, but +PNA does the trick for awhile, then comes 2nd half of February and the pattern goes el torcho and gives 2000 a run for its money lol. That was really nice, at just the right time.

Careful, the ensembles show a wide range of solutions, some build a powerpacked SE ridge.

I don't want to sully this thread with my nonsense, but I like that your pushing an endless torch. Just sayin'. ;)

New 12Z GFS really trends toward NAO- with huge trof (duplicate of analogue years backing to SW and phasing of jets eastern Pacific) late in the period. Also notable ridge pushing toward AK.. Tremendous High 1060+. I know, la la land..now lets watch for any new trend development with the models as time evolves. This the second time this pattern has emerged late on GFS and now ensemble NAO projections are south /negative/.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appco...mageSize=M

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appco...mageSize=M

post-2787-0-57641800-1325094065.gif

post-2787-0-21660400-1325094095.gif

Just bring me some winter, that's all I want.

Have been working way too much, so haven't been watching the weather much (my weather diary is 10 days behind) It would be nice to see some snow, and some cold, even if it's only for a couple of weeks.

Boring weather for the most part. Hopefully January brings us some level of excitement.

We're going to get our nice 2-3 day shot of arctic air, but it's a little disheartening that on 12/31 a fundamental pattern change in the not too distant future is not a secured outcome. There's some evidence that the polar vortex will finally get dislodged, but these ensembles (both EURO and GFS) seem to have been forecasting that for the last two weeks, only to delay it time and time again. OP EURO still has a raging +AO through D10.

I'll stick to my call for a pattern change starting between Jan 10-15, but the latter date seems more likely.

Yup. The GFS and GGEM aren't getting it yet, likely. Atlantic needs to come to the rescue,

The Atlantic is shot for the foreseeable future...and beyond. It's Pac side or bust. We're still looking outside the scope of the 10-15 day range for potential "realized" changes me thinks.

At the least the models are starting to hint at a colder pattern. For the first time all winter, the later periods of multiple runs of the GFS are showing consistent cold that sticks around for more than a day or two. This is something we haven't seen yet this winter. Of course, it may not be realized but at least things appear to be heading in the right direction.

This isn't good. This mornings Duluth's NWS forecast discussion:

LONG TERM...TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

THE SEVERAL-MONTH-OLD PATTERN OF A DEEP AND STRONG PACIFIC FLOW

ACROSS THE NORTHERN HALF OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE SOUTHERN

HALF OF CANADA WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS WEEK AND INTO THE

FOLLOWING WEEK. STRONG WARM AND DRY CHINOOKS WILL PERIODICALLY

DEVELOP OVER THE CENTRAL CANADIAN THROUGH THE MONTANA ROCKIES

THEN SPREAD SOUTHEAST ACROSS OUR AREA...BRINGING SPRING LIKE

WARMTH AND A DRY COLUMN. LITTLE IF ANY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED

ANYWHERE ACROSS OUR AREA THROUGH THE PERIOD. TEMPERATURES WILL

AGAIN BECOME WELL ABOVE SEASONABLE NORMALS...NEAR OR ABOVE

FREEZING ACROSS MOST AREAS ON WEDNESDAY. AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES

MAY RETURN TO RECORD WARMTH AS FREEZING LEVELS EXCEED TWO MILES

ALTITUDE AND 850 MB TEMPERATURES APPROACH 10C ON FRIDAY. DRY

WEATHER WILL CONTINUE WITH SOME COOLING BUT CONTINUED UNSEASONABLY

MILD TEMPERATURES OVER THE WEEKEND. THE FOLLOWING WEEK WILL BEGIN

WITH CONTINUED EXTREMELY DRY WEATHER AND TEMPERATURES RETURNING TO

NEAR OR ABOVE FREEZING ACROSS THE AREA.

Looks like I am not going to get my snowmobile out of the garage anytime soon. We need a lot more snow then we got this weekend to get the trails up to snuff esp here in town.

This isn't good.

Looks like I am not going to get my snowmobile out of the garage anytime soon. We need a lot more snow then we got this weekend to get the trails up to snuff esp here in town.

I wish I had your problem...lol. . Places in the MW have barely 1" of snow this season. Places in metro Detroit have not used snowplows this winter.

current.jpg?1325520049

At the least the models are starting to hint at a colder pattern. For the first time all winter, the later periods of multiple runs of the GFS are showing consistent cold that sticks around for more than a day or two. This is something we haven't seen yet this winter. Of course, it may not be realized but at least things appear to be heading in the right direction.

And this from The Weather Centre site blog:

post-7240-0-21955700-1325543714.jpeg

Interesting..

And this from The Weather Centre site blog:

post-7240-0-21955700-1325543714.jpeg

Interesting..

That would be wonderful news. Dont get me wrong, Im thankful weve had several light bouts of snow, more than much of the region, but our season total has nickled its way up to 5.8" imby (6.7" at DTW) yet not once have I had to shovel (I shoveled a bit of slush Dec 5th but it wasnt really a necessity), much less see plow piles. Cannot stand it much longer, Im dying for just a simple nice blanket of snow accompanied with snow piles!

That would be wonderful news. Dont get me wrong, Im thankful weve had several light bouts of snow, more than much of the region, but our season total has nickled its way up to 5.8" imby (6.7" at DTW) yet not once have I had to shovel (I shoveled a bit of slush Dec 5th but it wasnt really a necessity), much less see plow piles. Cannot stand it much longer, Im dying for just a simple nice blanket of snow accompanied with snow piles!

Yeah - already turning a corner nobody believed would ever come ('cept perhaps Mr. Deedler).

From this map, I see that the serious snow zone has been to our north and east. I could easily see that expanding S. and W. as we move forward into a more favorable pattern. Its not the conventional snowpack to the NW expanding SE, but hey, who said Ma Nature has to make every year the same 'ol routine time and time again. Just look at the last few winters for example. Not saying we're through with torches either; see 2007-08 for good examples.

post-7240-0-64659000-1325605045.jpg

post-7240-0-92504400-1325605165.jpg

post-7240-0-29913900-1325605178.jpg

:facepalm: ....I think our storms are knockin on the door man. Lot's of shoveling to come.

Archived