• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
JB's Weather Discussion

POWERSTROKE

boy JB has been changing mind every day but one thing he has been saying for a few weeks is what the gfs may be getting ready to show us. Robert said it may be showing all cold going west. JB has said all winter NW USA will have the worse as far as snow and if gfs goes that route then JB s right. Not good for us, lets hope it was a hiccup

I agree but when Robert posted a concern that is a concern

lol, well glad you think that highly of my forecasts but that is surely a possibilty and I haven't decided which I believe yet. It depends on where the ridging or block sets up, if its too far west or nw of Alaska, that allows room for the whole mass cold to drop into western Canada/west US and eastern Pacific, with warmth in the heartland or Southeast, and probably more troughing in the Northeast (that would allow some damming events here though). The orientation and placement of things that far north means everything, and its a good sign that GFS was warming up Greenland. If the pattern gets shaken up enough where the cold leaves Greenland and Alaska, then -NAO is likely and a huge bowl shape trough engulfs most of the continent, but if only one happens then that would favor mostly troughing either in the west or in the east, depends on nw Canada/Alaska. Too complicated and lots of possibilities but thats how weather works and no wonder its hard to predict these things. There is a ton of cold air in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia, so any high latitude blocking would probably be good for us, so I'd take my chances with that, but GFS still can't be trusted that far out..just keep watching to see if it gets within 10 day window. I'd be prepared for the western trough though. Remember how patterns can flip after they run their course, like last years cold supressed , and we went warm after January. Dec89/Jan 90 is another good flip. I will say that if we get lucky with a block in or near Alaska AND one in Greenland or Baffin Island, we'd be set. A few runs of op. GFS hinted at that, its rare but its a good snow and ice maker in the South. (not trying to get any hopes up ) :bag:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of 5pm update:::

Mid and late winter this year will be very different from the opening! Though late we are going to the nina analog, transitioning in the means through the early winter pattern

looks like we are headed toward there as finally we are seeing the pattern evolve.

When its totaled up, the idea will be a case of late, but not never as far as the sensible weather. AND REMEMBER THAT MEANS ITS NOT AS BAD AS LAST WINTER. I keep having to say that cause that is what was in the winter idea. That being said, this winter is far from over and has a wilder look around the corner

What's J/B sying about the rest of winter?

He thinks late Jan into feb will be cold almost nation wide. Best I can understand him.. Cold goes into west and n. plains then spreads south and east, till most of the country is cold... Some of you that reads his blog understand it different please correct me, He's sometimes hard to understand. lol

He thinks late Jan into feb will be cold almost nation wide. Best I can understand him.. Cold goes into west and n. plains then spreads south and east, till most of the country is cold... Some of you that reads his blog understand it different please correct me, He's sometimes hard to understand. lol

I follow him on Twitter. Hard to understand him lately. One day he is forecasting cold the next mild.

it looks like JB has quit flopping and is accepting major cold coming. On his latest video he talked about cold air that is going to be talked about for years. He mentioned the ridge will be gone after next week and showed euro @360 continuing to send major cold air.

the southeast ridge? and the Euro at 240, or the GFS at 360?

it looks like JB has quit flopping and is accepting major cold coming. On his latest video he talked about cold air that is going to be talked about for years. He mentioned the ridge will be gone after next week and showed euro @360 continuing to send major cold air.

:rolleyes: can it ever just be, "cold air"? Why does every cold shot and snowstorm have to be tied to some extreme analog year or event or be described in some sensational way. This is why JB gets bashed, and why he deserves to.

Here's a little tid bit from JB today!

For the record, this does not mean above normal snowfall in the I-95 corridor. The great flip of 07 had the inland Jet Blue storm ( it sleeted in NYC and they did not have an above normal snow winter) but it does mean that from to Portland Oregon to Portland Maine, including Port Huron and perhaps even the ports of Houston and New Orleans, Winter next week will just begin to fight.

next 7 days mild, following 7 wild,, following 7, cold that may be vile, and stay a while

Here's a little tid bit from JB today!

For the record, this does not mean above normal snowfall in the I-95 corridor. The great flip of 07 had the inland Jet Blue storm ( it sleeted in NYC and they did not have an above normal snow winter) but it does mean that from to Portland Oregon to Portland Maine, including Port Huron and perhaps even the ports of Houston and New Orleans, Winter next week will just begin to fight.

next 7 days mild, following 7 wild,, following 7, cold that may be vile, and stay a while

That's an interesting comment...sounds fun to me!

JB today, Says the cold is coming but not as bad in the se as models are showing. battle ground is to our north (in general) the se ridge trys to fight.....

Now notice how I dont have the southeast overpoweringly cold in any of this.. cause I dont believe the depth of the trough there on the model. I believe more the JMA, which is on below which jives with my pattern forecast for Jan 10-25 last week I showed you

Archived